Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Which one?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 08:47 AM
RA121823
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which one?

Hi everyone.. just joined.

Been leasing Toyota SUVs for a while now but thinking of coming over to Lexus. Currently leasing a hybrid RAV4 which I like but in the long run I don’t think I want to end up with a hybrid (in my late sixties). Was thinking of financing next a used Lexus SUV (in a couple of years). TBH I don’t know much about Lexus but I want to own one somehow because of their reliability… not that rav4 isn’t but..
id like to go back to gas suv and same size as RAV4 or smaller,just me and wife no kids.
Only must haves are “sun roof”and 4x drive since I’m in Canada… any recommendations on year/ model.. etc? TIA
Old 12-10-23, 05:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

If you want an SUV thats smaller than the Rav or similarly sized the only option is the NX.
Old 12-10-23, 06:23 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
If you want an SUV thats smaller than the Rav or similarly sized the only option is the NX.
The NX, of course, is done on the same platform as the RAV.....and the Second-Generation NX is light years ahead of the first-generation in many areas. I do not recommend the first-generation at all...it is, IMO, crude, noisy, and unrefined by Lexus standards. Its replacement is a tremendous improvement.
Old 12-10-23, 06:31 PM
RA121823
10th Gear

Yes I understand…. apparently 2nd generation I hear.
Old 12-10-23, 06:33 PM
RA121823
10th Gear

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The NX, of course, is done on the same platform as the RAV.....and the Second-Generation NX is light years ahead of the first-generation in many areas. I do not recommend the first-generation at all...it is, IMO, crude, noisy, and unrefined by Lexus standards. Its replacement is a tremendous improvement.
I’m surprised to hear that actually,good to know… thank you.. what about the UX?
Old 12-10-23, 06:44 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,631 Likes on 1,038 Posts

I actually really like the first gen NX. Had a loaner for a week and it was a delight. Engine was smooth and strong, interior was solid, etc. Had I been in the market for that class of vehicle, I’d have had no concerns.
Old 12-11-23, 03:27 AM
jer
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexnica
I’m surprised to hear that actually,good to know… thank you.. what about the UX?
My mom has had her UX for about a year. It is quite small but she only needs it to go to the store, bank, etc., as she really doesn't do a lot of driving. She likes it as it's easy for her to park, etc. Only thing is she got the premium and it didn't have the memory seats (other family members sometimes drive it), as I believe is only available with the lux package.
Old 12-11-23, 04:56 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by jer
My mom has had her UX for about a year. It is quite small but she only needs it to go to the store, bank, etc., as she really doesn't do a lot of driving. She likes it as it's easy for her to park, etc. Only thing is she got the premium and it didn't have the memory seats (other family members sometimes drive it), as I believe is only available with the lux package.
a 'premium' luxury vehicle without memory seats.
Old 12-11-23, 07:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I actually had no problem with the first gen NX. I got them as loaners all the time and they were fine. The second gen is much better.

The UX is actually a very nice little vehicle, but very little…
Old 12-11-23, 07:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I actually had no problem with the first gen NX. I got them as loaners all the time and they were fine. The second gen is much better.
I'm not saying that they were unreliable...Lexus products are (usually) consistently well above average on that point. The 1Gen NX was, IMO, simply crude, lacked sound-insulation, and was a disappointment to drive. The 2Gen, based on the excellent Toyota Venza, is light-years better.

The UX is actually a very nice little vehicle, but very little…
Agreed. Very little on the outside, pricey for that size, somewhat cramped inside, and with some awkward controls. But, like the Venza (which is somewhat larger), road-manners are excellent for a crossover that size...and I'd consider a UX myself if I ever left Buick, although I might have to stuff myself inside one LOL.
Old 12-11-23, 07:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not saying that they were unreliable...Lexus products are (usually) consistently well above average on that point. The 1Gen NX was, IMO, simply crude, lacked sound-insulation, and was a disappointment to drive. The 2Gen, based on the excellent Toyota Venza, is light-years better.
I understood what you said, I don't agree. I have driven at least 6 or 7 of them as loaners and I found them to be a plenty nice entry level Lexus SUV.
Old 12-11-23, 07:59 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

I understood what you said, I don't agree. I have driven at least 6 or 7 of them as loaners and I found them to be a plenty nice entry level Lexus SUV.

Have you sampled the new NX? If not, I'd recommend it....at least based on my test-drive of the new Venza.
Old 12-11-23, 12:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Have you sampled the new NX? If not, I'd recommend it....at least based on my test-drive of the new Venza.
I have, its very nice. The old NX was fine though
Old 12-13-23, 07:24 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

I would recommend a used RX350 with AWD with the V6. Its just an overall more refined, comfortable, safer vehicle. If you want the Lexus experience, that's the entry point and for ultimate reliability. UX has a rough base 4cyl and you said you dont want hybrid. The NX has a turbo 4 or hybrid. The trade off is a bigger vehicle, but that also means it is safer and more surefooted in bad weather.
Old 12-13-23, 08:27 AM
RA121823
10th Gear

Originally Posted by situman
I would recommend a used RX350 with AWD with the V6. Its just an overall more refined, comfortable, safer vehicle. If you want the Lexus experience, that's the entry point and for ultimate reliability. UX has a rough base 4cyl and you said you dont want hybrid. The NX has a turbo 4 or hybrid. The trade off is a bigger vehicle, but that also means it is safer and more surefooted in bad weather.
Wife was just mentioning last night that she feels our 2023 RAV4 is a bit too big for her to handle compared to the one we had in 2017.Space wise she prefers it (compared to our last C-HR) but she feels more confident with a smaller SUV including driving in bad weather like we have here in Toronto.
We got the hybrid for the fuel economy but overall I think after the lease is over we’ll go back to gas and smaller.For me,I feel like I need to drive like an old lady every time I get in it.Not sure if the RX350 6 cyl is the same size as the current Ravs but if it is we’ll probably look at the NX which I believe will be more like the C-HR.

Quick Reply: Which one?