Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Reliability Shockers!!!🤯

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-23, 12:41 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Reliability Shockers!!!🤯

Cars that you thought were reliable but actually aren’t.

Honda Odessey

Old 12-10-23, 12:49 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Hyundai Sonata

Old 12-10-23, 01:56 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

I don't know about ratings but every single 3rd Gen Tacoma owner I know in real life has had significant shop time. Some mocked me for buying a Ford but it's only had one minor issue that took it down for a few hours. It seems like Toyota really decided to coast on their reputation in later years.

Old 12-10-23, 02:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,646 Posts

the 'in car electronics' on the odyssey are all BAD for last 4 ratings of RELIABILITY.

really? what makes them unreliable (as opposed to people not being to figure out how to use it)?

and how does a climate system go from GOOD to BAD in one year?
Old 12-10-23, 03:37 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,249 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
I don't know about ratings but every single 3rd Gen Tacoma owner I know in real life has had significant shop time. Some mocked me for buying a Ford but it's only had one minor issue that took it down for a few hours. It seems like Toyota really decided to coast on their reputation in later years.
I wish I could argue but I see it too often that it's very much a case of riding their high years.
Old 12-10-23, 04:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,629 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Surprises me a bit to hear that. I have owned one, my dad owned one, and my neighbor has one. None of the three of us have had a single issue. I really miss my Tacoma.
Old 12-10-23, 04:05 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 234 Likes on 196 Posts

Can you look up GMC Yukon?

Not all, but some years are virtually all green which pleasantly surprised me..

Haven't seen any data on the new 2021 generation.
Old 12-10-23, 04:11 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123

Cam/lifters
Rust
Front upper arms
Random electrical issues
10 speed random issues

It's going to have those for sure lol!
Old 12-10-23, 04:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Cam/lifters
Rust
Front upper arms
Random electrical issues
10 speed random issues

It's going to have those for sure lol!
Every GM car on that side of the family we've ever bought has been solid, some more than others.

The last Yukon never had a single service ever (literally nothing...zero fluid changes) other than oil changes and refused to break in 20 years, and was still running fine when we donated it. Not once ounce of rust on it.

This 2022 has 25k on it and hasn't been to the shop for anything FWIW. Everything is flawless. I am going to plug in the V8 only thing so the cylinder deactivation won't come on though I think they have that pretty much perfected by now..it's impossible to notice. The 10 speed is one of the most flawless and transparent transmissions I've ever experienced, didn't think I'd like it but I do (I did in that Ecoboost F-150 too).

Looks quite good here after 2017… I was surprised a little.

Last edited by AJT123; 12-10-23 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-10-23, 05:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Every GM car on that side of the family we've ever bought has been solid, some more than others.

The last Yukon never had a single service ever (literally nothing...zero fluid changes) other than oil changes and refused to break in 20 years, and was still running fine when we donated it. Not once ounce of rust on it.

This 2022 has 25k on it and hasn't been to the shop for anything FWIW. Everything is flawless. I am going to plug in the V8 only thing so the cylinder deactivation won't come on though I think they have that pretty much perfected by now..it's impossible to notice. The 10 speed is one of the most flawless and transparent transmissions I've ever experienced, didn't think I'd like it but I do (I did in that Ecoboost F-150 too).

Looks quite good here after 2017… I was surprised a little.

Sure it was alive but was everything working as it should? I have seen endless amounts of GM trucks and they invariably degrade the same ways over time, the new ones will be no different.

GM stuff is fine when it comes to the trucks at least, never really anything more than that in terms of long term durability but if cared for aren't bad. The non-performance cars suck though.

The 10 speed is great but I wouldn't rank it as a first class auto trans. It gets confused at times and is also very upshift happy, I would never pick one over a ZF8 if I could have the choice between the two in an otherwise identical car
Old 12-10-23, 05:47 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

the following is taken from the same magazine that I’ve posted elsewhere sept 2022

GMC Yukon XL

GMC Yukon

Last edited by Tdes395; 12-10-23 at 06:04 PM.
Old 12-10-23, 05:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,769 Likes on 1,977 Posts

Hondas in general are not nearly as reliable as their reputation would suggest. Nowhere near as reliable as a Toyota.

My sister in law has had two Honda Odysseys and both have had problems, they also have a CRV that has had a lot of electrical problems. My assistant has a CRV that has had tons of electrical problems, I have rescued him stranded twice and it only has 85k miles.

Thats why I never considered the Odyssey as a replacement for our Pacificas.
Old 12-10-23, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Hondas in general are not nearly as reliable as their reputation would suggest. Nowhere near as reliable as a Toyota.
At one time (80s, 90s, early 2000s), they were....and even outdid Toyota in some areas. They started going downhill around 10 years ago or so.

Thats why I never considered the Odyssey as a replacement for our Pacificas.
Odysseys actually rank somewhat above Pacificas in CU's reliability-data. But I can understand why your wife likes the Pacifica....they drive very nicely, much nicer than earlier Chrysler minivans.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/consume...cars-for-2024/
Old 12-10-23, 06:50 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
Sure it was alive but was everything working as it should? I have seen endless amounts of GM trucks and they invariably degrade the same ways over time, the new ones will be no different.

GM stuff is fine when it comes to the trucks at least, never really anything more than that in terms of long term durability but if cared for aren't bad. The non-performance cars suck though.

The 10 speed is great but I wouldn't rank it as a first class auto trans. It gets confused at times and is also very upshift happy, I would never pick one over a ZF8 if I could have the choice between the two in an otherwise identical car
I mean the seat heater didn't work, the gauges didn't except for the tach. CD player didn't work. Hail damage. But, it started on the second crank and would have it a meat locker from the A/C in 30 seconds.

The 10 speed, like I've said I have yet to catch this truck off guard. It's good. I've never driven the ZF8. But this 10 speed always is in the right gear and it seems there's ALWAYS another gear it can grab for more power. Not upshift happy in my experience. It's actually sort of boring compared to the old way, I get in the Mercedes and enjoy running through the gears immensely. They're close in speed, just in different ways.
Old 12-10-23, 06:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I mean the seat heater didn't work, the gauges didn't except for the tach. CD player didn't work. Hail damage. But, it started on the second crank and would have it a meat locker from the A/C in 30 seconds.

The 10 speed, like I've said I have yet to catch this truck off guard. It's good. I've never driven the ZF8. But this 10 speed always is in the right gear and it seems there's ALWAYS another gear it can grab for more power. Not upshift happy in my experience. It's actually sort of boring compared to the old way, I get in the Mercedes and enjoy running through the gears immensely. They're close in speed, just in different ways.
Try one! It's insane how it's torque converted and not a DCT with how it responds, every single shift is identical and equally instant and it can drop from 8 to 2nd gear directly.

Quick Reply: Reliability Shockers!!!🤯