Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus seem to be struggling with crash test performance...

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-23, 08:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Did I miss the video on the TX? I wouldnt apply the performance of the GH to the TX. The TX's structure is heavily fortified and by the seat of the pants, might be twice as strong as the GH's.
IIHS is okay applying the performance of the GH to the TX, they said it in the video. That means they were told by Toyota there was no material change between the vehicles that would impact the crash test results. If the IIHS says that, its good enough for me
Old 12-19-23, 09:33 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
IIHS is okay applying the performance of the GH to the TX, they said it in the video. That means they were told by Toyota there was no material change between the vehicles that would impact the crash test results. If the IIHS says that, its good enough for me
I'm not sure I would make the assumption that Toyota told them to apply the results to the TX. Secondly, relying on the words of an automaker is not doing your own due diligence, if your assumption is true. What if the TX tests even worse or better? What if the GH tested poor, would Lexus want to be associated with that result? So it doesnt make sense to me.
Old 12-19-23, 09:36 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm not sure I would make the assumption that Toyota told them to apply the results to the TX. Secondly, relying on the words of an automaker is not doing your own due diligence, if your assumption is true. What if the TX tests even worse or better? What if the GH tested poor, would Lexus want to be associated with that result? So it doesnt make sense to me.
I am pretty comfortable in my confidence in the IIHS. I'm sure they would want to test a TX if they felt there would be any difference in the result., and the reason they didn't test one was that they were told by Toyota there was no reason to since they were testing the GH. They are essentially the same vehicle.

You imply a separation between Toyota and Lexus that doesn't exist. Lexus is just a marketing division of Toyota.
Old 12-19-23, 10:22 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I am pretty comfortable in my confidence in the IIHS. I'm sure they would want to test a TX if they felt there would be any difference in the result., and the reason they didn't test one was that they were told by Toyota there was no reason to since they were testing the GH. They are essentially the same vehicle.

You imply a separation between Toyota and Lexus that doesn't exist. Lexus is just a marketing division of Toyota.
Really? So a marketing department of Toyota builds cars? I completely disagree with you here. Where are you getting the information that Toyota told IIHS that they dont need to test the TX? Anybody that had tested both the GH and TX can tell you its a very different vehicle. Why would a "marketing department" go and tell the IIHS and the public at this point that their more expensive vehicle tests just as poorly as the cheaper variant? Does that make sense to any sensible person?
Old 12-19-23, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,514 Likes on 1,653 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
where exactly did Toyota spend their money?
on compliant staff willing to tow the bean counters' lines.

Toyota made record profits this year, so I doubt cost was the issue. If anything, they probably figured people will buy our cars regardless of crash tests and just put in the minimum effort. For example, the current gen 4Runner and previous Camry all tested poorly they they sell them hand over fist.
very good points.

toyota/lexus these days reminds me of gm and ford of old... relying far too much on brand loyalty, with a 'make the money now' mindset.

maybe there's still a longer term plan there, knowing electrification is going to be hugely expensive anyway you slice it, so make the money now to make it not as painful down the road.
and toyota is basically right, that a giant chunk of the market (likely much bigger than ev potential buyers) would prefer a hybrid.

just in last 24 hours i had one person ask me how far i can go on a charge in my ev (wrong question) and another person how long does it take to charge from 0-100% (also wrong question, never happens). there's so much misinformation out there, ice and hybrids are going to be fine for many years.

Old 12-19-23, 03:23 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Vladi
Times have changed. Lexus is no more what it was decades ago. Different company altogether, for better or worse. I remember how people were knocking Acura all over the place for just being Honda+, myself included, only to witness Lexus become the same for Toyota.
Yeah. It's really looking like it's over.
Old 12-19-23, 03:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Really? So a marketing department of Toyota builds cars? I completely disagree with you here. Where are you getting the information that Toyota told IIHS that they dont need to test the TX? Anybody that had tested both the GH and TX can tell you its a very different vehicle. Why would a "marketing department" go and tell the IIHS and the public at this point that their more expensive vehicle tests just as poorly as the cheaper variant? Does that make sense to any sensible person?
Lexus is not a company, it is a division of Toyota. Toyotas and Lexuses are built alongside each other on the same lines, the TX and GH are built right on the same line.

Where do I get the info? Its common sense. Why would the IIHS say that the results from the GH can be applied to the TX if they didn't have reason to believe they could be? I guarantee you will see the crash test ratings from the GH on window stickers for the TX.

I think you're reaching trying to explain away this poor performance out of allegiance to Lexus. The issue is not the IIHS, its that Toyota did not do as good a job designing these vehicles as they should have.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
on compliant staff willing to tow the bean counters' lines.
maybe there's still a longer term plan there, knowing electrification is going to be hugely expensive anyway you slice it, so make the money now to make it not as painful down the road.
and toyota is basically right, that a giant chunk of the market (likely much bigger than ev potential buyers) would prefer a hybrid.
I miss the days when Toyota cared more about quality and safety than saving some bucks.
Old 12-19-23, 07:26 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

IIHS and NHTSA both appear to rely heavily on information provided by manufacturers. For the TX, three of the four crash test results listed on the the IIHS website were conducted by Toyota, not IIHS. For the GH, two of the three crash tests listed on the IIHS website were conducted by Toyota, not IIHS. For the Lexus NX, all four crash test results listed by IIHS were conducted by Toyota, not IIHS.

On NHTSA's website, for the Toyota Venza, they show RAV4 crash results, presumably based on Toyota's representation that the results would be the same.
Old 12-19-23, 07:48 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by chuuck1e
IIHS and NHTSA both appear to rely heavily on information provided by manufacturers. For the TX, three of the four crash test results listed on the the IIHS website were conducted by Toyota, not IIHS. For the GH, two of the three crash tests listed on the IIHS website were conducted by Toyota, not IIHS. For the Lexus NX, all four crash test results listed by IIHS were conducted by Toyota, not IIHS.

On NHTSA's website, for the Toyota Venza, they show RAV4 crash results, presumably based on Toyota's representation that the results would be the same.
So.....what I am hearing is even Toyota themselves admit it sucks since lines up with the live tests correct?
Old 12-19-23, 08:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by chuuck1e

Thats correct, IIHS certifies manufacturers to conduct tests using their approved testing system and report their own findings. These tests were conducted by IIHS though.

IIHS also tests cars themselves and then replaces the results with their own tests when they have them.
Old 12-19-23, 08:33 PM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

Well cant say the K platform is a premium platform with stamped steel suspension and its inability to scale in size without huge reworking of the structure. Although I am very impressed with the lack of creaks and flex from the Sienna's structure, it still shudders like a big box would.
The "premium-ness" of a platform has nothing to do with safety. Lexus and Toyota are underperforming in crash tests that others have succeeded with even cheaper cars for years now.
Old 12-20-23, 10:10 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t know why everyone seems so “surprised” by the lackluster crash test results. Toyota has never really placed safety as number one priority when designing their vehicles.

Doesn't everyone remember how terribly Toyota and Lexus sedans did in the small overlap test when it was first introduced in 2012? Camry, Prius V, ES, IS all received Poor and had massive intrusion into the passenger compartment. Meanwhile Honda and Volvo had sedans that did Good straight out of the gate. No emergency reengineering needed.

take the first gen XC90 for example. A design that dated all the way back to 2002 aced the small overlap test in 2013 its last year of production. Pretty impressive and shows you how ahead of the curve Volvo was on safety. 2012 S60 did Good. 2012 C Class did Marginal…….
Old 12-20-23, 10:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I don’t know why everyone seems so “surprised” by the lackluster crash test results. Toyota has never really placed safety as number one priority when designing their vehicles.
Thats news to me...

Doesn't everyone remember how terribly Toyota and Lexus sedans did in the small overlap test when it was first introduced in 2012? Camry, Prius V, ES, IS all received Poor and had massive intrusion into the passenger compartment. Meanwhile Honda and Volvo had sedans that did Good straight out of the gate. No emergency reengineering needed.
To be fair basically everybody failed the small overlap test at first....
Old 12-20-23, 10:55 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I don’t think it’s fair to say “basically” everyone failed the test. Honda Accord, Acura TL, ALL Volvo models and maybe a few others did good straight out of the gate. Many other cars like the Mercedes C class did Marginal or Acceptable which was still way better than the poor performing Lexus models.
Old 12-20-23, 11:04 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I don’t think it’s fair to say “basically” everyone failed the test. Honda Accord, Acura TL, ALL Volvo models and maybe a few others did good straight out of the gate. Many other cars like the Mercedes C class did Marginal or Acceptable which was still way better than the poor performing Lexus models.
To be fair the Accord was an all new model when it was tested in the small overlap test the first time, the Lexus ES/Camry etc were in the last year of their generation when they were tested. Volvo is always been at the top of the safety rung, way more companies did poorly than passed at first. I just checked, MB C Class was rated Poor also. BMW 3 Series was Marginal but was also an all new design

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus seem to be struggling with crash test performance...