Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota/Lexus seem to be struggling with crash test performance...

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-23, 07:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts
Default Toyota/Lexus seem to be struggling with crash test performance...

So one of the things I watch on YouTube is IIHS crash test videos. I noticed something surprising, the newest Toyota/Lexus designs seem to be struggling with even the moderate overlap crash test, which for a clean sheet design from Toyota is very surprising. The new Grand Highlander/TX only scored Acceptible in the small overlap test, and the new RX only scored Marginal in the updated moderate test (second from the lowest), which keeps them out of Top Safety Pick status. Its not uncommon for older designs to lag behind as they tweak the tests, but not clean sheet designs like this. My sister in law and brother in law were all set to buy a Grand Highlander and these performances removed it from their list.

Grand Highlander test and then performance description:

RX moderate overlap test, this is the much easier test and it still only scored Marginal:

Mercedes GLE new moderate overlap test scored Good (top rating):

The RX you can excuse to some degree because that is an updated test, in the previous easier test it scored Good, but the GH/TX is the same Small overlap test the car should have been designed for, and the GLE being an older design scored just as well in the new test.

Lincoln Aviator which is also considerably older also scored Good:

Much older MDX scored Acceptable, which is better:

Kind of surprising...

Old 12-17-23, 08:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 88 Likes on 87 Posts

The Mercedes test looked very good, but perhaps that is not surprising......Mercedes and Volvo have traditionally done better in the safety department than most other brands, and often lead wth new innovations. The Lincoln Aviator test is also perhaps not surprising....although most of them have been unreliable, the newer Lincoln SUVs seem quite well-designed.

With the exception of the Venza (which is excellent) I have not been terribly impressed with most newer Toyota products in general.
Old 12-17-23, 08:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The Mercedes test looked very good, but perhaps that is not surprising......Mercedes and Volvo have traditionally done better in the safety department than most other brands. The Lincoln Aviator test is also perhaps not surprising....although most of them have been unreliable, the newer Lincoln SUVs seem quite well-designed.

With the exception of the Venza, I have not been terribly impressed with most newer Toyota products in general.
Lexus has always also had a very long track record of safety performance and earning Top Safety Picks, etc. I'm surprised as hell by this...
Old 12-17-23, 08:14 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

hate to say it but i'm not too surprised to hear that toyota is underperforming in areas where we traditionally expect the best from them... it doesn't seem to be the same company we all originally became fans of
Old 12-17-23, 10:10 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

What the hell? This is STRANGE, Lexus has always done comparably to the Germans and I have never had worry about picking anything from them and the same goes for most of Toyota. I guess they really are just dropping off that hard these days, I'm really not regretting leaving if this is what is going to keep happening. The most expensive car I ever bought was a Toyota product but I just can't see current day me ever buying something from them again when the same amount of money goes so so so much further with other options.
Old 12-18-23, 05:09 PM
Tdes395
Intermediate

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts

Very important info to be aware of.
Old 12-18-23, 06:02 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
hate to say it but i'm not too surprised to hear that toyota is underperforming in areas where we traditionally expect the best from them... it doesn't seem to be the same company we all originally became fans of
Agreed. Far cry from when they seemed to be intent on being the best manufactured and best value. I'm not at all surprised by their lackluster performance. Agree that it's corporately embarrassing for their newest products, especially family targeted products, to miss this highly publicized and well-known, well understood benchmark.
Old 12-18-23, 07:02 PM
signdetres
Racer

Received 887 Likes on 508 Posts

Really surprised that some of the older offerings in the segment are outperforming a lot of the newer vehicles.
Old 12-18-23, 07:18 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by signdetres
Really surprised that some of the older offerings in the segment are outperforming a lot of the newer vehicles.
Cost cutting may have cut too far? We may no longer be the market the manufactures care most about so they may be targeting other standards as the internal goal.
Old 12-18-23, 09:36 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 488 Likes on 323 Posts

I was a little surprized to see Lexus drop RWD-based sedans like GS, and no real IS replacement after 7 years in 2020.
However, to see Lexus safety performance drop like this - I am really surprized.
Must be too much cost cutting.
Maybe electrification really costing TMC a lot.
Old 12-19-23, 02:08 AM
Motorola
Lexus Test Driver

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts

I have not been impressed with the TNGA platforms so far. Between the inability to pair a V6 with an AWD sedan in TNGA-K vehicles, the cramped interiors of TNGA-L in the LS500 and Mirai, the inefficiency and poor packaging of e-TNGA in the BZ4X and RZ, and now these under-performing crash tests, where exactly did Toyota spend their money?
Old 12-19-23, 06:44 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So one of the things I watch on YouTube is IIHS crash test videos. I noticed something surprising, the newest Toyota/Lexus designs seem to be struggling with even the moderate overlap crash test, which for a clean sheet design from Toyota is very surprising. The new Grand Highlander/TX only scored Acceptible in the small overlap test, and the new RX only scored Marginal in the updated moderate test (second from the lowest), which keeps them out of Top Safety Pick status. Its not uncommon for older designs to lag behind as they tweak the tests, but not clean sheet designs like this. My sister in law and brother in law were all set to buy a Grand Highlander and these performances removed it from their list.

Grand Highlander test and then performance description:

RX moderate overlap test, this is the much easier test and it still only scored Marginal:

Mercedes GLE new moderate overlap test scored Good (top rating):

The RX you can excuse to some degree because that is an updated test, in the previous easier test it scored Good, but the GH/TX is the same Small overlap test the car should have been designed for, and the GLE being an older design scored just as well in the new test.

Lincoln Aviator which is also considerably older also scored Good:

Much older MDX scored Acceptable, which is better:

Kind of surprising...
Did I miss the video on the TX? I wouldnt apply the performance of the GH to the TX. The TX's structure is heavily fortified and by the seat of the pants, might be twice as strong as the GH's.
Old 12-19-23, 06:49 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I was a little surprized to see Lexus drop RWD-based sedans like GS, and no real IS replacement after 7 years in 2020.
However, to see Lexus safety performance drop like this - I am really surprized.
Must be too much cost cutting.
Maybe electrification really costing TMC a lot.
Toyota made record profits this year, so I doubt cost was the issue. If anything, they probably figured people will buy our cars regardless of crash tests and just put in the minimum effort. For example, the current gen 4Runner and previous Camry all tested poorly they they sell them hand over fist.

Originally Posted by Motorola
I have not been impressed with the TNGA platforms so far. Between the inability to pair a V6 with an AWD sedan in TNGA-K vehicles, the cramped interiors of TNGA-L in the LS500 and Mirai, the inefficiency and poor packaging of e-TNGA in the BZ4X and RZ, and now these under-performing crash tests, where exactly did Toyota spend their money?
Well cant say the K platform is a premium platform with stamped steel suspension and its inability to scale in size without huge reworking of the structure. Although I am very impressed with the lack of creaks and flex from the Sienna's structure, it still shudders like a big box would.
Old 12-19-23, 07:16 AM
Vladi
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Lexus has always also had a very long track record of safety performance and earning Top Safety Picks, etc. I'm surprised as hell by this...
Times have changed. Lexus is no more what it was decades ago. Different company altogether, for better or worse. I remember how people were knocking Acura all over the place for just being Honda+, myself included, only to witness Lexus become the same for Toyota.
Old 12-19-23, 08:49 AM
rogerh00
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

I couldn't find the overall ratings for the '24 grd Highlander or Rx. They must not be out yet. The 23 Highlander was a top safety pick+. There are many criteria and your videos are are just one test. So I'll reserve my opinion until all the tests are made public.

Quick Reply: Toyota/Lexus seem to be struggling with crash test performance...