Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid sales booming

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-23, 10:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by AMIRZA786
People have always been scared of advancements in tech lol.
......sometimes with good reason.
Old 12-23-23, 10:32 AM
Lead Lap

Received 785 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
not sure which comment is 13 years late, but phev's for example weren't really out there 13 years ago.

and no, they're not on borrowed time any time soon. phev's will likely check the boxes for many for the next 5 years... one big problem though, is obviously they're not cheap to make and availability is often quite limited. ev's will likely continue to come down in price, but as usual, the issue is urban/comdo/apartment charging. we're a loooong way from enough chargers.
the article you posted is too late to the hybrid game.

PHEV is pointless. If you could have a charger, you’d go EV. Not buy a heavier hybrid which gets worse fuel economy than a hybrid if you can’t charge it.

Latest developing from Toyota is to have lighter batteries and lighter electric motors and keep on using the light weight 4 pot engine to keep mpg up.

Old 12-23-23, 11:21 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by 703
PHEV is pointless. If you could have a charger, you’d go EV. Not buy a heavier hybrid which gets worse fuel economy than a hybrid if you can’t charge it.
But thats the point...you don't have a charger. The whole point of a PHEV is to be able to get the benefits of an EV around town when charged at home without having to worry about finding charging when you travel.

If I could get off at any exit and grab a 20 minute charge, then yeah I would rather have an EV, but we are a long way off from that still. So, for a family vehicle for us the PHEV will beat the EV every day.

Not even the slightest bit pointless at the current time
Old 12-23-23, 05:18 PM
chuuck1e
Pit Crew

Received 96 Likes on 57 Posts

I have been looking into a PHEV (Lexus NX 450h+), and have decided I would be better off with a regular hybrid (NX 350h). I own a 2022 NX 350h, which I really like, but need another car to replace a 2012 Camry. I have been looking into the cost of operating the NX450h+, and it appears it will be higher than the 350h.

For the 450h+, the EPA estimate is 84 MPGe, which means it would take 40 kw to drive 100 miles. At my current electricity rates (.34 to .43 cents per kw depending on monthly usage), it would cost $13.60 to $17.20 to drive 100 miles. The EPA estimate for hybrid mode on the 450h+ is 36 mpg, so it would cost $14.44 (at the current $5.20 per gallon price here in California) to drive 100 miles after the plug in battery is depleted. I looked into Time of Use rates, but my total bill would go up since I use my home AC during prime hours in the summer, and those extra costs would be far higher than the savings on charging at a lower rate. I looked into solar last year, but the payback period was about 25 years. The State Government has rolled back the incentives for going solar since then, so the payback period would be longer today. I also looked into charging stations near my house, but there were not any nearby that were open to the public (and were actually working.)

On the 350h, the EPA estimate is 39 mpg, which means it would cost $13.33 to drive 100 miles. I have been averaging over 46 mpg, so the actual cost today would be $11.30. So for me, the PHEV does not make economic
sense.
Old 12-23-23, 05:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The X Factor is how great the vehicle drives when its on full EV power.
Old 12-25-23, 08:19 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Thats always been the issue, never as good as a pure car.
What is a pure car anyways? What makes it less "pure?"
Old 12-26-23, 04:38 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As an owner of a PHEV (2023 Volvo V60 Polestar) I can say that I think it’s perfect bridge technology for me. I debated a pure EV and decided the range anxiety wasn’t worth it. Certainly lifestyle and daily driving habits are most important if you’re going to get any edge with this set up. In my case I’m retired and a large portion of my driving is done in pure EV mode with most trips within a 40 mile round trip ensuring no petrol burn, but we do some serious road trips as well and IMHO the grid for recharging and the time invested to charge up is, while getting better, not ready for prime time. The real kicker is that this particular car has a couple of personalities, EV is quiet and reasonably quick, but in Polestar mode this car is a beast and just a blast to drive, pretty stealthy wagon. I’m not delusional that I will recoup the premium cost for the car in gas savings but it’s nice to go a month without filling up.

Last edited by JTMav; 12-26-23 at 05:24 AM.
Old 12-26-23, 07:20 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by Tdes395
if the Tesla represents the direction of “1890’s tech”, then I say, BRING IT ON!!!! The sooner the better.
Reread what I said, anything newer than about 1890 requires oil in massive amounts to make from a material standpoint.
Old 12-26-23, 07:21 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,225 Likes on 910 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
What is a pure car anyways? What makes it less "pure?"
Full EV or pure ICE, any intermingling makes it worse/undesirable. Hybrids are a pain in the *** to modify and keep long term, EVs are never going to be modified so they are more of a lease and replace item and they do that very well.
Old 12-26-23, 07:56 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Full EV or pure ICE, any intermingling makes it worse/undesirable. Hybrids are a pain in the *** to modify and keep long term, EVs are never going to be modified so they are more of a lease and replace item and they do that very well.
Most people don't modify their cars at all. No issue really with keeping them long term either as the hybrid systems are very reliable. Hybrid cars usually don't need brakes for 100k miles etc.

Owning a PHEV now, I think the technology is great and from a practical standpoint it really does make a ton of sense for people who want an EV but are concerned about range anxiety when traveling. An S580e is probably the perfect car for me on paper, 60 miles of EV range I would get to enjoy and basically never buy gas, but when traveling no range anxiety.

The issue is the sort of car I pay for. Love the PHEV in the Pacifica, but for a $130,000+ S Class, you get EV range but not EV power (it only has like 150 hp in EV only mode), you get gas for travel but in a 6 cyl that is less smooth and enjoyable as the V8. So, its a compromise at that price point I don't like. Give me a full EV and I will just deal with it should I take it on a trip and get the powerful excellent EV driving experience all the time, or give me the TTV8 and I will just buy the gas...
Old 12-27-23, 03:25 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

This is on my 2015 Prius. Original hybrid battery. Original brakes. It now has 143k miles.
Old 12-27-23, 03:38 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by 703
the article you posted is too late to the hybrid game.

Latest developing from Toyota is to have lighter batteries and lighter electric motors and keep on using the light weight 4 pot engine to keep mpg up.
Our RAV4 hybrid does get better mpg on highway than our RAV4 Prime. I’ve taken both on the exact same roadtrip. The PHEV is heavier due to its bigger battery but it also has 19 inch wheels vs the hybrid has 18 inch wheels. However it’s no comparison when commuting around city as I’m always in EV mode. I keep my level 1 charger in the car and if I’m going to be stopped somewhere for a period of time and there’s a 🔌 nearby, I will plug in. I even have an extension cord just in case it’s further than 25ft. I have a little bit of gas in the car but if I don’t need it, I’m not using it. I save gas for roadtrips or when my wife drives and she burns thru the EV range running errands.

Originally Posted by LexTess
We've had a RAV4 Prime for almost 3 years, our second PHEV. It makes a ton of sense where I live where we get real cold (-35C) and hundreds of km between DC chargers. PHEV are not a one-size fits all vehicle but superior to an EV around here in winter anyway. If you don't have home charging a hybrid should be your #1 vehicle choice.
I agree
Old 12-27-23, 06:13 AM
tex2670
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Our RAV4 hybrid does get better mpg on highway than our RAV4 Prime. I’ve taken both on the exact same roadtrip. The PHEV is heavier due to its bigger battery but it also has 19 inch wheels vs the hybrid has 18 inch wheels. However it’s no comparison when commuting around city as I’m always in EV mode. I keep my level 1 charger in the car and if I’m going to be stopped somewhere for a period of time and there’s a 🔌 nearby, I will plug in. I even have an extension cord just in case it’s further than 25ft. I have a little bit of gas in the car but if I don’t need it, I’m not using it. I save gas for roadtrips or when my wife drives and she burns thru the EV range running errands.
You have a RAV4 Hybrid, RAV4 Prime, Prius, Tundra and an LX570?
Old 12-27-23, 06:34 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by tex2670
You have a RAV4 Hybrid, RAV4 Prime, Prius, Tundra and an LX570?
and that’s not all🫣
Old 01-05-24, 05:14 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

This is on my 2015 Prius. Original hybrid battery. Original brakes. It now has 143k miles.
Amazing! My 2012 Prius's gas engine died at around 136k miles and my mechanic sourced a 2015 55k mile engine and swapped it out. It needed replacing again when the odo was at 168k miles. My mileage also went to poop as well during that time. I was only getting about 35 mpg, sometimes 30. I got rid of it towards the end of 2022 with a 2018 Macan GTS but then I had buyers remorse all of last year on switching over to a Euro car and got a 2024 Prius now

Quick Reply: Hybrid sales booming