Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Hybrid sales booming

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-24, 03:52 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 253 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
Amazing! My 2012 Prius's gas engine died at around 136k miles and my mechanic sourced a 2015 55k mile engine and swapped it out. It needed replacing again when the odo was at 168k miles. My mileage also went to poop as well during that time. I was only getting about 35 mpg, sometimes 30. I got rid of it towards the end of 2022 with a 2018 Macan GTS but then I had buyers remorse all of last year on switching over to a Euro car and got a 2024 Prius now
The 3rd gen has one of the worst Toyota engines ever, at least reliability-wise. Couple that with an inverter that likes to blow up.

Originally Posted by RNM GS3
LOL - Bro you are typical example of buying whatever these corporations sell!

Its all marketing bs - this mild hybrid in the new cars has ZERO benefits. I’m actually getting WORSE gas mileage on the new 2023 M40i vs the 2020 M40i we had that was pure ICE.

These car makers are putting hybrid systems to fool EPA and European emissions standards. It adds weight and complexity with NO real world benefits. It does look good on paper and propaganda saying Hybrid sales are up lol Sure they are up when everything is a Hybrid now!
Even new 992.2 911 will be ALL hybrid besides GT models. No more pure ICE besides base model. Its all to fool emissions and not bec of engineering improvements.
OK, again.

For a mild hybrid, weight should be the same. You maybe add weight with the ISG compared to the starter & generator, you remove weight from the wiring harness. This is for 48v systems. It's not really a hybrid, though. The only issues I see are the lack of manuals and/or the drive-by-wire clutch pedals for EV operation - both of which should absolutely be exempted for the rare manual that's bought.

Last edited by Lwerewolf; 01-07-24 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-07-24, 03:55 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

delete, forgot that the forum doesn't auto-merge subsequent posts
Old 01-07-24, 05:50 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Says the guy who bought one himself when he says he hates them lol. I don’t hate them, so yeah I would buy one. My new hybrid Pacifica is way better than the gas Pacificas I had.

Oh and I’m not your “bro”.

Its all marketing bs - this mild hybrid in the new cars has ZERO benefits. I’m actually getting WORSE gas mileage on the new 2023 M40i vs the 2020 M40i we had that was pure ICE.
It’s not for gas mileage. It’s for additional electrical
power. All the new high end suspension systems and autonomous driving systems require a 48v electrical system. Example eABC in new MB models requires the 48v system.

And I’m the one who buys whatever these corporations sells? LOL
Old 01-07-24, 07:39 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
The 3rd gen has one of the worst Toyota engines ever, at least reliability-wise. Couple that with an inverter that likes to blow up.

I hope you’re wrong. I plan on keeping my 3rd gen for the long haul. If I’m not mistaken I think most wrinkles were ironed out by the last year of that gen (2015).
Old 01-08-24, 02:32 AM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Watch the head gasket

The inverter is a relatively easy repair if it ever comes to it.
Old 01-08-24, 03:31 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I have yet to experience a 48v mild hybrid I didn’t like. The torque infill is useful for turbo motors especially.
Old 01-08-24, 05:31 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,461 Likes on 1,614 Posts

I don’t want a hybrid but BMW no longer offers a non-hybrid option. Even all future M cars starting with M5 will be hybrids.
ok

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Why do you think that is? Because hybrid sales and take rates are growing and non hybrid take and sales rates are shrinking. Thats why they have moved towards hybrids. I respect you don't want one, but you are one person and sales aren't down so like I have said many times before, this is a business and they make what people want. Hybridization makes possible lots of features that aren't possible without it.

Why would automakers want to skew numbers towards hybrids? There is no conspiracy here lol.
that's not the only reason... they're trying to make the fleet comply with convoluted and more and more stringent regulations.

These car makers are putting hybrid systems to fool EPA and European emissions standards. It adds weight and complexity with NO real world benefits. It does look good on paper and propaganda saying Hybrid sales are up lol Sure they are up when everything is a Hybrid now!
Even new 992.2 911 will be ALL hybrid besides GT models. No more pure ICE besides base model. Its all to fool emissions and not bec of engineering improvements.
so it's marketing b.s. and it's designed to work around regulations. ok,

car makers have to navigate the world of regulations. they often have to do things they'd rather not do, and then often have to market those things as benefits to keep going. that's not 'b.s.' that's doing what you have to do in business.

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I have yet to experience a 48v mild hybrid I didn’t like. The torque infill is useful for turbo motors especially.
absolutely. and it makes auto-start stop way better.
Old 01-08-24, 09:31 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 166 Likes on 115 Posts

Depends on how the hybridization is implemented right? The Hybrid Max implementation is different than the Sienna's and plug ins. Overall, it is still a positive. To generate the power and torque that the Tundra makes with its Hybrid Max, you would need to boost the heck out of a small engine or have a big engine that guzzles gas. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the middle ground like a plug in that gives you max efficiency and great power. In the middle is the something like the Sienna where you get great FE but its a bit down on power, I mean 500+ miles out of a 15g tank is amazing.
Old 01-08-24, 09:45 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 70 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ok

that's not the only reason... they're trying to make the fleet comply with convoluted and more and more stringent regulations.

so it's marketing b.s. and it's designed to work around regulations. ok,

car makers have to navigate the world of regulations. they often have to do things they'd rather not do, and then often have to market those things as benefits to keep going. that's not 'b.s.' that's doing what you have to do in business.

absolutely. and it makes auto-start stop way better.
Basically you restated what i posted.
It’s pointless way to complicate an already complex powertrain without any real world benefits to the consumer. The hybrid advertising is pure bs, its not a Prius.

if I’m buying a Performance SUV - obviously I’m not interested in Fuel economy otherwise i would get the 4cyl. Therefore the engineering is purely to “fool” emissions not to improve performance at all. The automakers try to spin it as a benefit which it really isn’t.

The auto start/stop is smoother vs my pure ICE X3 but i still turn it off immediately bec its still annoying especially when you engage reverse. Now there is just further step to turn it off as they removed the off button.
Old 01-08-24, 09:50 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I hardly notice any difference to be honest.
The B58 never had issues with turbo lag. You can also put it in Sport/Sport + to make sure turbos respond better. If this was such a benefit to performance it would have been on M cars and S58 motor instead they are keeping it ICE only at least through current M2/3/4 generation.
Old 01-08-24, 10:04 AM
RNM GS3
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by situman
Depends on how the hybridization is implemented right? The Hybrid Max implementation is different than the Sienna's and plug ins. Overall, it is still a positive. To generate the power and torque that the Tundra makes with its Hybrid Max, you would need to boost the heck out of a small engine or have a big engine that guzzles gas. On the other end of the spectrum, you have the middle ground like a plug in that gives you max efficiency and great power. In the middle is the something like the Sienna where you get great FE but its a bit down on power, I mean 500+ miles out of a 15g tank is amazing.
Ofcourse there are great benefits when you have a true Hybrid.

My issue was to the fake propaganda the hybrid sales are booming - well sure they are bec now cars like X3 M40i and CLE 53amg are considered hybrids. It’s laughable - people are not choosing them bec they are hybrids, it’s because all powertrains are utilizing 48v support.
If you convert all pure ICE to mild hybrids then say Hybrid sales are booming - how is that being honest?!
Old 01-08-24, 11:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

This is one of the rare occasions where what the public wants and what regulators want are aligned....
Old 01-08-24, 01:09 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
What caused the engine failure so I know what to look out for? How are you liking the new Prius?
I'm not even sure... the mechanic said it was because I was putting 87 instead of 91 but I call BS on that. Perhaps it was because I was changing out my oil every 10k miles? I was using synthetic Mobil 1. Either way, I was disappointed that I did not reach 200k+ miles on it.

New Prius is awesome! So much new (to me) tech in it. I wish I was looking into the Prius prior to purchasing the Macan as I would have got that instead. The new design is awesome and I get lots of compliments (surprise surprise!) on it. Looking to add some GR parts to it in the future.

very funny you went from prius to macan gts

i have a friend who went from bmw x5 to prius to porsche panamera. his workplace was 'encouraging' people to go green and get a prius. he absolutely hated it.
It was a massive upgrade from the Prius to Macan GTS. I loved the performance of the Porsche but the Prius actually had more useable space than the Macan in terms of storage AND utility. Was there any financial incentives to go green by the company? That would make me more likely to go along with anything ​​​​​​​
Old 01-08-24, 02:13 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by djyoshi626
I'm not even sure... the mechanic said it was because I was putting 87 instead of 91 but I call BS on that. Perhaps it was because I was changing out my oil every 10k miles? I was using synthetic Mobil 1. Either way, I was disappointed that I did not reach 200k+ miles on it.

New Prius is awesome! So much new (to me) tech in it. I wish I was looking into the Prius prior to purchasing the Macan as I would have got that instead. The new design is awesome and I get lots of compliments (surprise surprise!) on it. Looking to add some GR parts to it in the future.

I hope your mechanic is wrong because I use the same gas and oil at the same 10k mile interval. 🫣 I guess I’ll keep it until it croaks.

I bet the new Prius is a lot more enjoyable to drive than the 3rd gen or any previous generation. I tried Eco mode for a while and I will never try it again. My wife will drive it in pwr mode. LOL

Old 01-09-24, 03:58 PM
djyoshi626
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I hope your mechanic is wrong because I use the same gas and oil at the same 10k mile interval. 🫣 I guess I’ll keep it until it croaks.

I bet the new Prius is a lot more enjoyable to drive than the 3rd gen or any previous generation. I tried Eco mode for a while and I will never try it again. My wife will drive it in pwr mode. LOL
Hahaha, in the beginning of owning the Gen 3 I was playing the game of trying to maximize the MPG so power mode was not used very often unless I needed it. Eventually, even when I tried playing the MPG game, I was not able to get past 38 mpg. This was mostly after the gas engine replacement. The new Prius tracks your start/cruise/stop and gives you a score on every stop/go.

Quick Reply: Hybrid sales booming