Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

MJ23’s Hennessey Venom F5 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-23, 12:08 PM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
Default MJ23’s Hennessey Venom F5 Roadster

Not sure if this has been posted before. Michael Jordan, his Airness, took delivery of a Hennessey Venom F5 Roadster earlier this year. From everything I have read it looks like this hypercar is road legal, which in and of itself is insane. I can’t fathom what 1,817 horsepower would feel like on the street, with all that power going to the rear.

Specs:

Hennessey Venom F5 Roadster

Twin turbo 6.6L V8

1,817 HP / 1,193 lb-ft torque

0-60mph in under 3 secs

Top speed: 300mph per manufacturer

Weight: just a hair shy of 3100 lbs

Articles and videos below. You may just catch him on your local freeway blowing past ya with a cigar in his mouth

https://pursuitist.com/michael-jorda...r-acquisition/

https://www.thedrive.com/news/michae...m-f5-roadsters

Old 12-31-23, 01:27 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,251 Likes on 932 Posts

I've personally felt 1400 and it's absurd, totally redefined what I considered fast and it's at already crazy speeds that those numbers really alter reality.

The F5 is an insane car, a full on top spec build that you can just buy from as a floor model lol
Old 12-31-23, 07:39 PM
Jakerin
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

300 seems unlikely but trying for it would be a lot of fun. Maybe here?

Old 01-01-24, 12:13 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 248 Likes on 189 Posts

sadly i'm unable to fully appreciate this car solely on its merits due to my personal feelings for john hennessey, i just can't disconnect the two... the guy's a fraudster scam artist and it disappoints me how he gets all this positive attention now while people seem happy to overlook his past
Old 01-01-24, 06:26 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,504 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Amazing car! Then again, it is Michael Jordon so you would not expect to have any less taste.
Old 01-01-24, 09:20 PM
jwong77
Pole Position

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Michael Jordan has had a few pretty awesome cars. Not just show off cars, but real drivers cars, like his 993 Turbo S. Say what you will about his coaching and team management abilities, but his taste in cars is pretty good.
Old 01-02-24, 08:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
sadly i'm unable to fully appreciate this car solely on its merits due to my personal feelings for john hennessey, i just can't disconnect the two... the guy's a fraudster scam artist and it disappoints me how he gets all this positive attention now while people seem happy to overlook his past
I feel the same way based on my knowledge of his scamming when I was in the Viper world. Many people got really screwed back then and his reputation was crap. Then he disappeared for a while and reemerged and everything is fine now? Amazing how good of a salesman/marketer is for him to still be around and his name not crap anymore. I guess that works when you always have celebrities to show off his cars, no way he would ever screw them over.
Old 01-02-24, 09:32 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
I feel the same way based on my knowledge of his scamming when I was in the Viper world. Many people got really screwed back then and his reputation was crap. Then he disappeared for a while and reemerged and everything is fine now? Amazing how good of a salesman/marketer is for him to still be around and his name not crap anymore. I guess that works when you always have celebrities to show off his cars, no way he would ever screw them over.
only a few moments after i wrote that i literally thought oh yea that guy patgilm used to have a viper, surely he knows all about john hennessey lol

yea the guy's a major scumbag... selling parts off customer cars to fund and work on his own stuff, using customer cars as guinea pigs to do tuning and dyno work without permission, taking months if not years to finish a job, and then there's his tuning school which was another whole story... there's a reason he's changed the company's address 3 times!

also on forums he carries himself like an angsty teen throwing a tantrum, and i've read countless other first hand accounts of him just generally not being a pleasant guy to deal with and especially be contracted to do work for

lol i haven't got this worked up about him since 'top gear' produced a video like a year ago where hennessey was sat alongside Gordon Murray, Christian von Koenigsegg, and Mate Rimac as though he's an equal to any of them! what an insult
Old 01-02-24, 10:10 AM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

All good points, guys. I myself didn’t know of this company or owner. Agree on the high profile celebrity comment. Not to derail this thread, but here is an article.

https://jalopnik.com/ex-employees-sa...-ev-1778134112

As for the 300MPH claim, here is another article.

https://jalopnik.com/heres-where-joh...aim-1820931723

Sounds like it would, more than anything, be a rubber problem. This was an excellent point made here in the article:

“Also interesting is that Hennessey has said that his company is under a nondisclosure agreement with Michelin and another tire manufacturer, and that it’s certainly possible that when the time comes to make a serious speed run in the Venom F5, they may be using a bespoke tire.”

The quote below is from one of the comments on the article, which makes an excellent point.

“Hennessey is banking on a FOS>1. It’s a ballsy move, to be sure, but if a tire can safely go 285mph, it can almost certainly go 286. If it can go 286, it can probably go 287. There is a speed when one more mph causes failure, and he’s hoping that speed is higher than 300.”

Last edited by RCF93til; 01-02-24 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-02-24, 10:12 AM
RCF93til
Pit Crew

Forgot to include the Dyno test, same engine in MJ’s car. Insane.

Old 01-02-24, 02:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by RCF93til
All good points, guys. I myself didn’t know of this company or owner. Agree on the high profile celebrity comment. Not to derail this thread, but here is an article.
as patgilm said, a great sales/marketing team! i get the sense that the majority of people viewing and commenting on any hennessey venom videos have no idea what went on in the earlier years of the company, i don't even remember how i first became privy to the history lol

it's a damn shame since everything on paper equals what a crazy awesome piece of machinery, i just wish someone else's name was on it
Old 01-02-24, 04:11 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
as patgilm said, a great sales/marketing team! i get the sense that the majority of people viewing and commenting on any hennessey venom videos have no idea what went on in the earlier years of the company, i don't even remember how i first became privy to the history lol

it's a damn shame since everything on paper equals what a crazy awesome piece of machinery, i just wish someone else's name was on it
The worst part was what he provided (if you actually received what he said he would do) wasn't any better than anyone in the Viper community could get elsewhere. I knew someone that bought one of his packages that was supposed to be a heads/cam package/exhaust/headers and it was a ton of money and it didn't seem like any heads and cam work was actually done. Never ran better than a stock Viper with exhaust and headers. There were so many other tuners with much better packages that were priced much better with really good reputations that it was unbelievable that anyone would go to Hennessey after he was outed for ripping people off but these other tuners weren't the marketing genius' that Hennessey was/is and that is really the difference.
Old 01-03-24, 07:33 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by patgilm
The worst part was what he provided (if you actually received what he said he would do) wasn't any better than anyone in the Viper community could get elsewhere. I knew someone that bought one of his packages that was supposed to be a heads/cam package/exhaust/headers and it was a ton of money and it didn't seem like any heads and cam work was actually done. Never ran better than a stock Viper with exhaust and headers. There were so many other tuners with much better packages that were priced much better with really good reputations that it was unbelievable that anyone would go to Hennessey after he was outed for ripping people off but these other tuners weren't the marketing genius' that Hennessey was/is and that is really the difference.
this is a big reason it pains me to see that guy put in panels alongside these other three geniuses:

unlike hennessey, Murray, Koenigsegg, and Rimac are true innovators who've each designed and built revolutionary machinery essentially from the ground up... not just stuck a turbo chevy engine in an elongated lotus exige or contracted other firms to develop a supercar for you
Old 01-03-24, 07:59 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Every time I hear about Hennessey performance I think of this picture:
Old 01-03-24, 09:11 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Every time I hear about Hennessey performance I think of this picture:
lmaooo hahaha you love to see it

thanks i never saw that one before... lots of fine touches going on there that's true artwork

Quick Reply: MJ23’s Hennessey Venom F5 Roadster