Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 08:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Well, here's the problem with those 2023 Accords that have a cool 204 horsepower.

Just now...this younger guy in a brand new one, white murdered out 2023 Accord.... kept flying by me, just driving like an idiot. He liked his car, that's cool. Welllllp we made it to a red light and he got his *** handed to him by the LX570... He tried to race once more from a roll but he got dusted again. Then he refused to engage, like a dog with a tail in between its legs.

How cool does he feel now when he got repeatedly smoked by a 2014 SUV in his brand new top of the line Accord? Lol.

They need to bring that 2.0T back and fast. That was a huge mistake, dropping it. I wouldn't mess with an Accord 2.0T unless I was driving the Mercedes.
An old gen Accord would absolutely have left me in the dust... That's my point lol.

The discontinued Accord 2.0T did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and was called "too fast" by C&D, and no matter what gets said on this forum, I see a lot of them versus the base engine.

And yep, same crap with the Camry. It had a 303hp monster V6 gone for hybrid only.

Awful times.
And maybe 1% of Accord buyers care at all about how fast it is. Thats why bringing back the 2.0T really isn't a big deal. If you look at Accord sales, they're up...thats all that matters. With the Camry, nobody bought the V6...

Its an Accord, its not an enthusiast car.
Old 01-05-24, 08:45 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Try looking for a used V6 Camry current generation Camry, they’re virtually nonexistent. Too much power for the front wheels anyway.
Old 01-05-24, 08:50 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

An old gen Accord would absolutely have left me in the dust... That's my point lol.

The discontinued Accord 2.0T did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and was called "too fast" by C&D, and no matter what gets said on this forum, I see a lot of them versus the base engine.

And yep, same crap with the Camry. It had a 303hp monster V6 gone for hybrid only.

Awful times.
similarly with the camry, the XV50 V6 is the one i'm most interested in... the recent XV70 model is like trying too hard to look sporty and has lower profile tires, yet it's clearly not expensive, and despite the extra engine power you can't really tell most of the time because of the *drum roll........* stupid 8-speed!

the XV70 also has a super cluttered engine bay and the interior gave me the impression of being cheaper than the outgoing model
Old 01-05-24, 08:55 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Try looking for a used V6 Camry current generation Camry, they’re virtually nonexistent. Too much power for the front wheels anyway.
you just reminded me of a great OG youtube video from 2006

until the camry starts doing rolling burnouts like this i say keep throwing more power at it haha
Old 01-05-24, 09:06 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
you just reminded me of a great OG youtube video from 2006

https://youtu.be/Ew6YwIN2IQc?t=25

until the camry starts doing rolling burnouts like this i say keep throwing more power at it haha
Is that exhaust gases escaping around the wheels or is he literally burning rubber in boost?

Looks like rubber!
Old 01-05-24, 09:17 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

My GS was in the shop for weeks for accident repair (which has been a complete nightmare!!) I had two rentals first a Malibu 1.5T (Blah) And then a Camry Se 2.5. The Camry is so much more appealing and enjoyable to drive than that cheap GM plastic Malibu with its CVT. Even if I had to rev it out more to keep up with traffic. The ride on the Camry was more plush as well with the tires set to the same PSI. Even though they were lower profile. I think the Camry had softer rubber though than the low rolling resistant crap mounted on the Bu.

But both cars felt pretty soft and floaty compared to my 3GS. In the past the SE Camrys got a firmer suspension tune than the LEs but I’m not sure that’s the case anymore as the one I rented felt pretty soft and compliant.

Also I no longer feel the tire noise on my GS objectionable.Lol After being in those rentals with their loud tires. And thin insulation.

If I got a Camry I would have to get either the Hybrid or the V6 in a higher trim level. Just from my drivability standpoint that 2.5 had to be revved out too much in daily driving and 8 speed shifted weird sometimes. I actually really like the new 2025 Camry.
Old 01-05-24, 09:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The issue with that 2.5 in the Camry is it being naturally aspirated. A turbo 4 in the Camry would feel way better
Old 01-05-24, 09:23 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Margate330
Is that exhaust gases escaping around the wheels or is he literally burning rubber in boost?

Looks like rubber!
oh yea just look at the marks on the road! the volvo inline-5 is another cool engine no longer with us
Old 01-05-24, 09:28 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Yeah the Malibu felt a little more torquey with its Turbo and Cvt. But I still vastly preferred the Camry from a driving feel and character perspective….

Also, I forgot to mention when I first got in the Camry it was an Eco mode! I couldn’t believe how lethargic and groggy it felt as well the accelerator felt so stiff and hard to press. I finally realized it was an Eco mode and put it in normal mode! And it actually drove more normal! Lol I don’t know who in their right mind would want to drive that vehicle in Eco mode. It was so horrible. The Malibu did not have Eco mode. But it did have auto start stop, which I frequently disabled When driving in stop and go traffic.
Old 01-05-24, 09:46 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Yeah the Malibu felt a little more torquey with its Turbo and Cvt. But I still vastly preferred the Camry from a driving feel and character perspective….
I imagine you can buy two Malibu's for the price of one GS. Lol

Why not treat yourself to a Caddy Escalade or Denali next time, if they don't want an arm & leg to rent it

Been seeing a few new Bronco's lately.

Full size looks good but the baby Bronco needs to be renamed something else because it's too small to be a Bronco. iMO
Old 01-05-24, 09:54 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Also, I forgot to mention when I first got in the Camry it was an Eco mode! I couldn’t believe how lethargic and groggy it felt as well the accelerator felt so stiff and hard to press. I finally realized it was an Eco mode and put it in normal mode! And it actually drove more normal! Lol I don’t know who in their right mind would want to drive that vehicle in Eco mode. It was so horrible. The Malibu did not have Eco mode. But it did have auto start stop, which I frequently disabled When driving in stop and go traffic.
i will say i did genuinely find some amusement in driving a prius in eco mode, it's a big part of why i believe that eco cars can be fun too if the goal is to try to be as eco as possible when driving... the prius actually makes it into a game! a somewhat distracting one too! driving the whole time trying to keep the green bar in the eco zone and out of the power zone... but i managed to get over 72 mpg out of a standard 2017 prius non-plug in model

this drive might've actually been more dangerous than my speed runs! between tailgating that coach bus on the highway to reduce my drag, flying through corners to avoid touching the brakes, and starting to go light headed from the heat inside (gotta keep the windows up and climate control off on an eco run), hypermiling is serious business lol... i was exhausted after 45 minutes but very excited to have exceeded the EPA figures by over 20 mpg!

as far as a camry goes, yea i don't see much reason for an eco mode like that
Old 01-05-24, 10:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah when my wife had her Prius, she had a lot of fun trying to maximize her MPG…she hated when I drove it because I always screwed it up
Old 01-05-24, 10:33 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah when my wife had her Prius, she had a lot of fun trying to maximize her MPG…she hated when I drove it because I always screwed it up
lol that's the opposite of when my mom will drive vs my dad... she doesn't even drive particularly fast it's just the little driving style things like hard accelerations up to 30 mph and not capitalizing on coasting opportunities

when he's in his E63 he'll go fast but for just errands in the GLE450 it's definitely an eco mission, especially since that 48V mild hybrid and beltless engine actually really rewards gentle driving... the E63 only has two modes, using a bunch of fuel, or using a BUNCH of fuel
Old 01-05-24, 10:39 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Margate330
I imagine you can buy two Malibu's for the price of one GS. Lol

Why not treat yourself to a Caddy Escalade or Denali next time, if they don't want an arm & leg to rent it
Well actually I bought my GS used so it cost about half what a new Malibu cost.

At enterprise they were going to give me a Chevy Spark. so upgraded to the Malibu since there was no Camry or Altima available. Then I had to call State Farm and get them to pay for the upgrade.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
A Prius will still get excellent gas mileage even if you drive it like a normal car!
Old 01-05-24, 10:44 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Stroock639

Your mom drives pretty much like most drivers in modern traffic. Jack rabbiting away from green lights. Not coasting for red lights….

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024