Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-24, 09:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Oro
This is what SO many people say. Gen public, car critics, design critics. Completely unsure - can’t dismiss it but can’t love it (yet). I’m in the same center ground but I think lean more positive than negative. I’m thinking it’s going to actually age very well and be more loved in the future - my guess.
Not sure if it will age well. But, it this day and age with the high cost of everything, likely it was a mistake to bring it to production.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Yeah, 2021 was a lifetime ago as far as car prices go. In 2021 my Pacifica had an MSRP $10k cheaper.
I think prices will eventually drop. Inflation is part of it. Electrification is the other thing.
Not as highly optioned, and not as efficient. Thats a fully loaded Land Cruiser, most of them won't be that cost.

This is why Toyota has in its history not brought the most highly optioned of their cars to the US, Americans look at the loaded price and say "thats crazy" when there are versions available for $30,000 less than the fully loaded model very few people will buy.

Its a fallacy that everyone who wants a Land Cruiser would want a GX
Toyota has historically brought their high spec models to North America. GX470 and 460s were 4.6 exclusive in the states. My V8 4Runner was exclusive to the North America whereas the same SUV in RHD was always a smaller 4 cylinder. Lexus LS was always top spec. Land Cruiser 200 was 5.7 US exclusive until the very end of production.

Originally Posted by AJT123
2021 LCs were at $85k.
True. I think a new Land Cruiser 300 would be an easy $110K. 100 series to 200 series jumped about $10K. I\

I didn't say they did, I just said that you can get a GX for the price of the new LC. I would choose GX personally.
I would chose the GX too
Old 02-21-24, 09:53 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

What?!? That’s insane.
2025 CX90 prices haven’t been released. I don’t see the issue, I am certain the prices on the CX90 will increase

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-21-24 at 09:56 PM.
Old 02-22-24, 01:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Thats pretty cool you are friends with him. How did he figure out how to make those products? Is he a chemist or something?
No, he is not a chemist. He started washing neighbors’ cars when he was 8 or 9. He was doing boats at 15 or so and I worked on one with him. Our hands stank of rubbing compound. He started a detailing business and sold before going to college. I really don’t know how he connected with actual chemists to make products that are effective and don’t smell like petroleum. He’s an entrepreneur who cares about people and gives back. He’s very good at building relationships, so he most likely found a chemical manufacturer and said, “here’s what I want.”
Old 02-22-24, 03:11 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
No, he is not a chemist. He started washing neighbors’ cars when he was 8 or 9. He was doing boats at 15 or so and I worked on one with him. Our hands stank of rubbing compound. He started a detailing business and sold before going to college. I really don’t know how he connected with actual chemists to make products that are effective and don’t smell like petroleum. He’s an entrepreneur who cares about people and gives back. He’s very good at building relationships, so he most likely found a chemical manufacturer and said, “here’s what I want.”
Such a cool story. I’m always impressed when I hear stories like this where someone starts a business from scratch like that. Hopefully he hooks you up with free products. The only issue I have with their products is there are so many different products that are so similar that I don’t know what to buy. It’s overwhelming.
Old 02-22-24, 06:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I think prices will eventually drop. Inflation is part of it. Electrification is the other thing.
Inflation doesn’t reverse unless we have deflation, which would have to be caused by a massive financial collapse.

Toyota has historically brought their high spec models to North America. GX470 and 460s were 4.6 exclusive in the states. My V8 4Runner was exclusive to the North America whereas the same SUV in RHD was always a smaller 4 cylinder. Lexus LS was always top spec. Land Cruiser 200 was 5.7 US exclusive until the very end of production.
Thats not true. The LS always had additional options that weren’t brought here, they had all the suite of rear seat comfort options all the way from the LS400 that weren’t available here until the LS430, the ES in other markets has power rear seats etc. IS models have lacked features that they have in Japan. They have always been careful to leave features off US cars to reduce the loaded MSRP.
Old 02-22-24, 06:27 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Such a cool story. I’m always impressed when I hear stories like this where someone starts a business from scratch like that. Hopefully he hooks you up with free products. The only issue I have with their products is there are so many different products that are so similar that I don’t know what to buy. It’s overwhelming.

He is not hands on in the business but does hook me up, but more with just doing generous things that aren’t related to business. For the polishes business, he started it in a tiny office on the bottom floor of an apartment building in LA.
Old 02-22-24, 06:33 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

So we might as well retire the word, call Webster because there's no such thing as anything being "overpriced"???
So again, *nothing* is ever overpriced? Half-*** designer stuff? An Apple product?
4 Runners are obscenely overpriced and sell like crazy.
so we can look at 'overpriced' as a subjective judgment or an objective assessment. side note, i didn't even think it was one word, thought it was over priced.

i think you're using it subjectively, so even if something sells like hotcakes you may still think (and are perfectly entitled to think) it's 'over priced'.

but objectively, if something is selling like crazy it isn't overpriced because lots of people think it's worth it, so your opinion at the very least is not popular.

so things like 'an apple product' are overpriced TO YOU. i've come to appreciate the value in build quality, design, reliability, features, and ease of use.
i work all day with all kinds of tech. i also hear from people who think an apple mac for example is overpriced. i can easily show that's not the case. if someone buys a bottom of the line windows laptop for example where apple doesn't bother trying to compete, then they think apple is overpriced. if one compares actual specs then the pricing is pretty similar and there are many things on a mac that windows doesn't have. want to edit pdf's? buy software on windows. in a mac it's built-in. want productivity suite? buy microsoft 365 for windows (or mac) or use the included apple suite on the mac. and if someone has an iphone it's an even bigger no brainer. take a photo on the iphone, it's almost instantly available on the mac. etc. but hey, some people just look at the initial purchase price and also don't know how to look at specs. love it when a client calls for help with a pc they bought themselves to 'save money'.

i know someone who just stayed at a hotel that is about $2000 a night. overpriced? maybe to most people, but if one can afford it and appreciates the amenities, rooms, atmosphere and service, it's worth it!
Old 02-22-24, 06:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Inflation doesn’t reverse unless we have deflation, which would have to be caused by a massive financial collapse.

Thats not true. The LS always had additional options that weren’t brought here, they had all the suite of rear seat comfort options all the way from the LS400 that weren’t available here until the LS430, the ES in other markets has power rear seats etc. IS models have lacked features that they have in Japan. They have always been careful to leave features off US cars to reduce the loaded MSRP.
There are many instances where prices have dropped in the past. They will eventually. Too much money supply and electrification has caused prices to increase. The US administration is apparently about to roll back some of the mandates on EVs, so you’ll see more cars come that don’t have the inflated EV components. You will also see more de-contented vehicles as well. I remember very well 2009 recession, the LX570 dropped big time in price by offer less options.

as for the LS…what features did the world side have that the US spec did not?
Old 02-22-24, 06:43 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I think you will have a hard time finding situations where car prices universally went down. It’s not going to happen, you’ll see incentives and all to move product.

The LS had the whole ultra luxury package with the power seats and controls in the rear from the very beginning, the LS400 also had available laser cruise control which never came here, as a couple of examples.
Old 02-22-24, 07:26 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
In another brilliant move, Mazda's priced the CX-70 exactly the same as the CX-90. You pay exactly the same price for the exact same vehicle sans a third row. Yup.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a4...cx-70-pricing/
LOL. They're insane.
Old 02-22-24, 07:47 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Wow, and that they are lowering the price of their newest model in a huge segment by $3,000 - $4,000. Not the sign of a successful launch in the first place.
Not sure how they plan to sell the same thing with 1 less row of seats at the same price.
I just don't get it.
Old 02-22-24, 08:00 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The 2025 RAM 1500 reviews with the Hurricane I6 have been very positive. Here's one from C&D: 2025 Ram 1500 Pickup Muscles Up (caranddriver.com)

Last edited by TangoRed; 02-22-24 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-22-24, 08:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I've been watching a few reviews of it, looks good...
Old 02-22-24, 08:16 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 764 Likes on 533 Posts

I think you will have a hard time finding situations where car prices universally went down. It’s not going to happen, you’ll see incentives and all to move product.

The LS had the whole ultra luxury package with the power seats and controls in the rear from the very beginning, the LS400 also had available laser cruise control which never came here, as a couple of examples.
People forgot that pre-pandemic, buying a car for MSRP was usually a bad deal.
Old 02-22-24, 08:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

I've never seen prices go down, just the rate of increase not being as severe as the last 4 years. You need deflation/a crash to actually have prices revert and go lower.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1