Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 07:10 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
awesome. welcome to the snarling v8/exhaust note club.
Thanks bit! I'm really looking forward to it.

Originally Posted by link13
Congrats! I am happy for you and I wish you lots of enjoyment!
Thanks link!

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i was still a mod i said i wouldn't be participating because i felt it was completely at odds with a forum where topics are normally broken into separate threads, not a free for all like this one. obviously i was overruled and that's one big factor as to why i chose to no longer be a mod. now that i don't care how the forum is run, i might as well post in here because it's easier/lazier.
Ah I see. I never knew the GCC thread was the reason why you gave up mod duties.

Btw, I've been obsessed with watching cars try and drive through deep water at Rufford Ford in West Lancashire. There's hundreds of videos on YouTube. Have you ever seen them or driven through there? Wild stuff.
Old 02-25-24, 07:15 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
TOYOTA Hybrids have a great history, others have struggled with the 48v systems. Mercedes is a great example. I thought it was interesting that the new Hurricane I6 from FCA is not a 48v system when Ram was one of the first to start using one with the Hemi.

I would challenge this by pointing out that we have several new contributors to this thread right now...and CarChat has always been made up of mainly posts from a small group of people.
Yeah, I have been on CL for a long time and am newish to Car Chat. Not every thread had universal appeal. I like this thread. Maybe we can agree to degree.

Old 02-25-24, 07:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
This has been beaten to death. Toyota hybrids are a prime example.

Quality is quality.
I keep my all of my cars for a really long time. Once they get up there in age. It’s just something I keep in mind for the long term.

. I thought it was interesting that the new Hurricane I6 from FCA is not a 48v system when Ram was one of the first to start using one with the Hemi.
e.
Wow. That is a surprise.

TOYOTA Hybrids have a great history

This was just made recently

Saw my first OW-8 engine last night

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-25-24 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-25-24, 07:57 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I love European cars lol. Love that they have built in mounts for racks like this on a luxury sedan

Old 02-25-24, 07:59 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

On a side note I just got back from my local Lexus dealer. My 2024 IS 500 should be here Thursday. I know I should be posting this in the IS 500 forum but I spend the majority of my time here in CC. Just got tired of sitting on the fence. Finally getting my V8 fix!! I don't know why Lexus had to make the Cloudburst Grey/White Nuluxe exceedingly difficult to get but whatever.

Btw, the TX looks WAY better in person than I thought. It was a black metallic paint with a light grey interior. I should have taken pics. Lexus is going to have a couple huge hits with the TX and GX. My sales guy said there's 61 people on the waiting list for the new GX. He said a bunch of them call once a week to see what's taking so long. Apparently they'll start showing up on the East Coast in April.
Congrats on the IS. This is the rarest car in my experience. I have only seen one! Given how many they make, it makes sense. I've seen a few TX on road and in person (there's one at my gym). It hasn't changed my view about it. I think the new GX looks better. There will also be people waiting to buy new Lexus. I remember when LX first came to the lot, I went to test drive. The salesman told me this car was already sold for 150k. They sold it because the buyer was willing to let them use as a test drive vehicle. I think back then the wait was 1.5 years.
Old 02-25-24, 08:15 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by somethingfornothing
That's the thing, and that's the number one reason for their high level of sales: they have eye-pleasing designs. You see nothing but recall after recall. Quality issue after quality issue with this company. They cut corners like no other company in history. Literally the only reason they sell so many vehicles is because uneducated folks buy them based off their appearance. Nothing else.
I concur with this statement, would argue Hyundai/Kia quality peaked in the late 2000s. 2010 is when they started introducing the problematic engines and making their cars easier to steal. Someone at another website was mentioning the questionable bandaid fix for the ABS module, instead of replacing the entire thing with an updated design.
Old 02-25-24, 08:21 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I love European cars lol. Love that they have built in mounts for racks like this on a luxury sedan

True.. MBs are perceived a little differently outside of the US, this is why you see these features..

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Congrats on the IS. This is the rarest car in my experience. I have only seen one!.
I don’t think I have seen one. I wouldn’t know how to tell the difference unless following behind with the iS500 badge.
Old 02-25-24, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Time for the monthly interior detail for the Pacifica, it was a disaster…

Old 02-25-24, 08:39 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
That thing is absolutely beautiful! I guess this was a precursor to the Daytona prototypes that run in IMSA?
it’s absolutely stunning! in the late 80s there were still no chicanes at Le Mans so top speed was the #1 priority, 240 mph through pitch darkness must’ve been a hell of an experience! and technically this was the precursor to the GT1 class, so things like the CLK GTR and 911 GT1

oh yea and congrats on the IS 500! another beautiful car, and i’m all about that lovely rowdy (and most crucially, tried tested and proven) V8
Old 02-25-24, 08:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Time for the monthly interior detail for the Pacifica, it was a disaster…

That doesn’t sound like much fun…
Old 02-25-24, 08:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
That doesn’t sound like much fun…
Not for the poor guys doing it lol

This is a great car wash. I pay $65 a month and you can wash it as much as you want, they do the interior etc also. Then you get points and you can use them towards details and they have this “interior super clean” where for a $30 up charge they basically detail the whole interior and use steam etc. I get it for free basically because of the points I build up.

I have never seen people work harder for $30…there are 4 people in the van here cleaning it

Old 02-25-24, 09:06 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
it’s absolutely stunning! in the late 80s there were still no chicanes at Le Mans so top speed was the #1 priority, 240 mph through pitch darkness must’ve been a hell of an experience! and technically this was the precursor to the GT1 class, so things like the CLK GTR and 911 GT1

oh yea and congrats on the IS 500! another beautiful car, and i’m all about that lovely rowdy (and most crucially, tried tested and proven) V8
Wow I didn't know chicanes were such a late addition. I certainly remember that CLK GTR that went airborne in the late 90's early 00's. I remember the drivers first name was Peter.

Thanks! Really looking forward to my first V8.
Old 02-25-24, 12:15 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Wow I didn't know chicanes were such a late addition. I certainly remember that CLK GTR that went airborne in the late 90's early 00's. I remember the drivers first name was Peter.

Amazing. You’ll be smitten. It’ll tug at your heartstrings. The starter, exhaust, feel, rumble etc etc.

Congratulations!!!!!
Old 02-25-24, 12:22 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1

hang on i actually need to throw a flag on this lol... the CLK GTR never went airborne, actually it was so dominant that after 1998 manufacturers basically just stopped showing up and GT1 stopped being a thing

the CLR is the car that kept going airborne at Le Mans in 1999, not only during the race (with Peter driving) but Mark Webber’s car flipped over in a practice session too... with that happening, plus that whole thing in the 50s where everyone died, mercedes decided ok we’re not gonna race here anymore lol
Old 02-25-24, 12:54 PM
Oro
Racer

Received 369 Likes on 320 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
So taking in the show a second time. My general thoughts are that there is a huge economic crash coming one day and so many automakers are not ready for it. Only the Japanese (Nissan, Toyota, Subaru) and somewhat Hyundai have anything remotely affordable. 3 cylinders are now so prevalent. I can see why Toyota put so much development into their G16E-GTS. Toyota’s 3 cylinder is so far ahead of every other manufacturer. I will also say that EVs are way too expensive. Lexus was the only mainstream brand to have a V8 in a 4 door. I can’t think of anything else. I thought I was gonna be more impressed with Land Cruiser and Lexus GX550. I didn’t really like the new Mustang all that much, apparently it’s a carry over platform.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the auto show. It was so busy. My main takeaway from the show, was ifI had to buy a new car today. I would buy a Subaru Impreza. Such a nice little car that felt so old but yet still so modern. .
A warning about Subarus - they still have serious headgasket issues. It is not “fixed” with the new different head gasket design. I did a pre-purchase inspection in 2020 on a lease turn in Impreza, from the dealer inventory in Bellevue, WA. It was a 2017 w/70k miles on it. The inspection took five minutes to reject it - the entire cooling system was clearly acidified and most metal components in contact with it were rusting aggressively. This is one of the first signs of eventual headgasket issues in Subarus.

OTOH, I do like their modern cars. A neighbor had a pretty high mileage Tribeca. She needed help with it and could not afford the service. It was maybe 12 years old, 225k miles or maybe more, might have been over 250 honestly. and not very well maintained. I put in new control arms, ball joints, swapped plugs, full transmission fluid change and coolant change. It ran very, very nicely afterwards - quite impressively nicely in fact. After that, I considered getting my mom a really clean low mileage one, honestly (got her an RX eventually instead). I am told by the Subaru experts the sixes for some reason are much better about avoiding the headgasket issues and the fours like base Outbacks or Imprezas are much more likely to have them.

I had another neighbor w/a pretty late model, top of the line Outback w/every option. 2019 model (?). I serviced it for him and drove it some as he was getting very old and unable to drive. The lane assist, auto brake, etc annoyed me and I usually tried to toggle off some of the features. But the build quality seemed very good, the powertrain very well managed, powerful, and tractable. I liked driving the car quite a bit.

Last edited by Oro; 02-25-24 at 12:59 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1