Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-24, 01:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Its amazing the difference in mileage when I actually like a car lol. The 2020 Pacifica was traded with 26,000 miles on it after 39 months, we've had the hybrid Pacifica for 4 months:

Old 02-25-24, 01:59 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Ah I see. I never knew the GCC thread was the reason why you gave up mod duties.
no it was 'a' reason, not 'the' reason, but i'm over all that... free at last, free at last (well, within the 'rules' here )

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I am sorry you feel this way.
classic passive aggressive gaslighting non-apology.

And everything you said.
not sure what that means.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 02-25-24 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-25-24, 02:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Its amazing the difference in mileage when I actually like a car lol. The 2020 Pacifica was traded with 26,000 miles on it after 39 months, we've had the hybrid Pacifica for 4 months:

haha. So you like this because of the EV component?

Not for the poor guys doing it lol

This is a great car wash. I pay $65 a month and you can wash it as much as you want, they do the interior etc also. Then you get points and you can use them towards details and they have this “interior super clean” where for a $30 up charge they basically detail the whole interior and use steam etc. I get it for free basically because of the points I build up.

I have never seen people work harder for $30…there are 4 people in the van here cleaning it

That good you get a lot of benefit out of the detailing subscription you pay
Old 02-25-24, 02:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

I have never seen people work harder for $30…there are 4 people in the van here cleaning it
hopefully you leave a decent tip.

well the other one spent half the time in the shop.
Old 02-25-24, 02:21 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

haha. So you like this because of the EV component?
Thats part of it, but just in general its a much nicer vehicle. Rides better, handles better, more comfortable, nicer inside, powertrain feels much better because it loses the ZF 9 speed for the CVT. I normally don't like a CVT, but with the V6 and the PHEV you hardly ever hear it drone the way CVTs can. With the previous Pacificas we took my car whenever I could, now with this we take it out as a family when I'm going etc, and I drive it on the weekends etc where I never did the other Pacificas.

My business partner has a Palisade his wife drives, the two of them liked this van so much when they saw it and drove it they traded their Palisade in on one...
Old 02-25-24, 02:26 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

It is a good powertrain. CVTs are better when there is more power.
Old 02-25-24, 03:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

back of new 5 series looks like a camry

front clip of the new 5 series looks like an anteater (long and ugly).

Old 02-25-24, 03:20 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

back of this range rover is 'interesting'

Old 02-25-24, 03:21 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

these mercedes wheels were bizarre...

Old 02-25-24, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The fact that they are immediately using the new 5s for loaners isn’t a good sign…
Old 02-25-24, 03:25 PM
Lwerewolf
Racer

Received 251 Likes on 190 Posts

It is a good powertrain. CVTs are better when there is more power.
Applies to every auto box ^^
Old 02-25-24, 04:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
back of this range rover is 'interesting'

Those are a knockout IRL. I don’t care for the white however, I saw one today. Way snazzier colors available.
Old 02-25-24, 04:01 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Well I test drove a few two row SUVs this weekend to see if any would be a replacement for our X7 when the lease is up in May.. We test drove the BMW X5M, MB GLE63 AMG, RR Sport and the Porsche Cayenne. We We know that the cargo space is going to be smaller than our last two three row SUVs but we were hoping the second row would be roomy enough for our kids who are now teenagers. Here were my quick impressions:

X5M - This is the one I wanted to like most. I am familiar with them since I have had two BMWs recently (and currently have one). In terms of cargo space, it was pretty good but the rear seat legroom wasn't great and seemed to be the smallest of the four based on where I have my driver's seat set. The throttle response was great and engine was awesome. Unfortunately, as I have heard, the ride was pretty rough/stiff, more so than I thought it would be. My Durango SRT was pretty rough/stiff but we loved that SUV and this was worse and my wife ruled it out. I could see it being tiring on a long trip.

GLE63 - This one seemed to have the best cargo and leg room in the rear seat. I really liked the interior with all of the carbon fiber although the infotainment and controls seemed pretty complex. The steering wheel was great but it had so many controls it was overwhelming but I'm sure I would get used to it over time. I really liked the looks of this one and with the interior space, I thought this could be the one...until I drove it. When driving it, it felt heavy and the transmission was terrible. I never thought the transmission would be that big of a deal but it was almost schizophrenic trying to find the right gear. It was really strange and I watched a Throttlehouse video and they confirmed what I felt.

Range Rover Sport - The seats in this SUV were the most comfortable by far and it wasn't close. The rear seat legroom was great too and we both really liked the styling. For 2024 they got rid of all of the buttons so everything pretty much has to be done on the infotainment screen. Then we drove it (it had the inline 6) and it was so under powered to my wife and I that we definitely would have to step up to the Autobiography which adds a PHEV element to the inline 6 but I still wonder if we would like this engine. One thing is clear, my wife and I definitely want a V8TT vs. a 6 cylinder turbo and it was obvious here. Maybe the PHEV would do the trick but then ordering one could take 6-7 months and that's if they can order me one.

Cayenne - This one had a smaller cargo area and good rear seat legroom. I wasn't sure what to expect with this since I've never driven any Porsche. We first test drove the V6 turbo since it was the only Cayenne they had in the SUV body. We took it out for a quick drive and both said, heck no, we need a bigger engine. We went back and got the Cayenne S coupe which is only a little smaller than the SUV one but it would give us an idea of how the engine felt. The Cayenne S is a TTV8 and what an engine. It was exactly what we would want in an SUV. I wasn't sure I would like the Porsche going in but somehow Porsche figured out how to provide a perfect balance of sport and comfort in an SUV which enables it to handle like a car. It handled incredibly with the air suspension and PASM suspension. If this were for me, this is the one I would pick and since the PHEV is only a little more, I would probably get that as it just adds to the S' already great engine.

The only one we weren't able to test drive was the RSQ8 but my wife doesn't really like it but it's hard to tell until you drive one. What we both learned after these test drives was that we really like a V8 engine. The 6's we drove just weren't going to cut it.

So right now it is going to be between the Porsche or the Range Rover Sport Autobiography (with the PHEV 6). Given the time frame we will likely have to buy out our X7 but in test driving all of these cars, I do have to say that it gave me more of an appreciation for my X7. While I don't love the throttle response or the floatiness of it even in sport mode, it showed me how comfortable and smooth it really is with a good amount of power and it really does well when we travel for the most part.
Old 02-25-24, 04:07 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

X7 really is a great vehicle.

Would you consider a GLS580 or GLS63?
Old 02-25-24, 04:13 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

X7 really is a great vehicle.

Would you consider a GLS580 or GLS63?
We looked at the GLS63 they had and it was really nice but it should be because when I spec’d it out it was $160k which is more than I want to spend. Funny you mention the GLS580, we plan to look at one and will probably test drive one of those next.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1