Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 07:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

A good friend of ours just picked up a Cayenne S and she loves it. This is her second Cayenne and it checked all the boxes for her. Decent space, sporty, and fun to drive
Old 02-26-24, 08:12 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Dropped by the machine shop to get some heads started, took a picture of a engine that is in progress.

Bought new gas storage cans, I was getting extremely tired off my plastic ones constantly having vapor leaks and expanding from heat etc. These are so much nicer, they fit perfectly and I have two more on the same shelf I used to only be able to fit 3!
Old 02-26-24, 08:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Bought new gas storage cans, I was getting extremely tired off my plastic ones constantly having vapor leaks and expanding from heat etc. These are so much nicer, they fit perfectly and I have two more on the same shelf I used to only be able to fit 3!
Not only that, but don't plastic gas cans sometimes have the hazard of static-buildup which can produce sparks and a fire? Some gas stations have warning signs on the pumps on properly grounding the cans before pumping.
Old 02-26-24, 08:39 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The ride is a real bummer. It's just never calms down.

I cannot stand the comfort mode transmission programming. I always drive in my custom individual mode in every modern AMG product I've ever had, which generally means transmission in sport mode/suspension in comfort mode/exhaust in "powerful" mode. Sport mode for the transmission is perfect, otherwise the car feels slow unless you jab the accelerator which then sends it into a frenzy. My AMG G63 is even like this.

I mentioned this earlier in this thread. I find the 6 cylinder to be totally underpowered. The PHEV still only gets 0-60mph in 5.6 seconds because of the additional weight of the battery, so don't expect it to measure up to the V8s you've test driven. It's V8 or nothing for me when it comes to the RR or RRS.

Amen to this. You can really do some damage with the options...be careful.

Worth a test drive, but to me it couldn't compare to the Cayenne. It's a big softie though which some people like. To me, it lacks sense of occasion when you're driving about town.

I'm team Porsche on this one.
Good to hear your perspective, I was hoping to hear your response since you have had so many cars by these manufacturers. I built a Cayenne and it did get pretty pricey but there are many things that I want and the price was right where the others I was looking at were which I was happy about.

Originally Posted by Allen K
A good friend of ours just picked up a Cayenne S and she loves it. This is her second Cayenne and it checked all the boxes for her. Decent space, sporty, and fun to drive
That's great to hear. I also didn't realize until I test drove one that they got rid of the gear selector in the center console and all of the buttons on each side. The interior is much better now and the only buttons they have are the ones that are important to me like HVAC controls.
Old 02-26-24, 08:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Dropped by the machine shop to get some heads started, took a picture of a engine that is in progress.

What engine is that?
Old 02-26-24, 09:11 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
What engine is that?
Not certain, this shop primarily does domestic OHV V8s so it's a big block of some sort I would imagine. A LOT of the circle track and drag guys come here, I have 1.5 engines from him as well and the machine work/accuracy is phenomenally good.

I actually had one of my engines suffer a severe issue with the oil pump cracking during a race and he did such a good job with the concentricity of the mains/bores to crank etc that I was able to finish. Bearings ate it, crank and everything else was totally fine! I had that block redone and it's now my spare with its twin in my truck.

Stuff I brought him this time is much more mundane, it's a pair of 1.9 TDI heads to be refreshed and decked.
Old 02-26-24, 09:12 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but don't plastic gas cans sometimes have the hazard of static-buildup which can produce sparks and a fire? Some gas stations have warning signs on the pumps on properly grounding the cans before pumping.
Yeah, I've never had issue with that but I've just been generally displeased with my plastic ones. These are real deal Wavian brand cans though so I'll have them forever, I'm also pricing out a 750 gallon diesel tank for the shop to feed the newly acquired fleet of TDIs
Old 02-26-24, 09:15 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Machining at that level is an art form that takes decades to master.

Especially when 0.001" matters. Lol

Last edited by Margate330; 02-26-24 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-26-24, 09:23 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Well I test drove a few two row SUVs this weekend to see if any would be a replacement for our X7 when the lease is up in May.. We test drove the BMW X5M, MB GLE63 AMG, RR Sport and the Porsche Cayenne. We We know that the cargo space is going to be smaller than our last two three row SUVs but we were hoping the second row would be roomy enough for our kids who are now teenagers. Here were my quick impressions:

X5M - This is the one I wanted to like most. I am familiar with them since I have had two BMWs recently (and currently have one). In terms of cargo space, it was pretty good but the rear seat legroom wasn't great and seemed to be the smallest of the four based on where I have my driver's seat set. The throttle response was great and engine was awesome. Unfortunately, as I have heard, the ride was pretty rough/stiff, more so than I thought it would be. My Durango SRT was pretty rough/stiff but we loved that SUV and this was worse and my wife ruled it out. I could see it being tiring on a long trip.

GLE63 - This one seemed to have the best cargo and leg room in the rear seat. I really liked the interior with all of the carbon fiber although the infotainment and controls seemed pretty complex. The steering wheel was great but it had so many controls it was overwhelming but I'm sure I would get used to it over time. I really liked the looks of this one and with the interior space, I thought this could be the one...until I drove it. When driving it, it felt heavy and the transmission was terrible. I never thought the transmission would be that big of a deal but it was almost schizophrenic trying to find the right gear. It was really strange and I watched a Throttlehouse video and they confirmed what I felt.

Range Rover Sport - The seats in this SUV were the most comfortable by far and it wasn't close. The rear seat legroom was great too and we both really liked the styling. For 2024 they got rid of all of the buttons so everything pretty much has to be done on the infotainment screen. Then we drove it (it had the inline 6) and it was so under powered to my wife and I that we definitely would have to step up to the Autobiography which adds a PHEV element to the inline 6 but I still wonder if we would like this engine. One thing is clear, my wife and I definitely want a V8TT vs. a 6 cylinder turbo and it was obvious here. Maybe the PHEV would do the trick but then ordering one could take 6-7 months and that's if they can order me one.

Cayenne - This one had a smaller cargo area and good rear seat legroom. I wasn't sure what to expect with this since I've never driven any Porsche. We first test drove the V6 turbo since it was the only Cayenne they had in the SUV body. We took it out for a quick drive and both said, heck no, we need a bigger engine. We went back and got the Cayenne S coupe which is only a little smaller than the SUV one but it would give us an idea of how the engine felt. The Cayenne S is a TTV8 and what an engine. It was exactly what we would want in an SUV. I wasn't sure I would like the Porsche going in but somehow Porsche figured out how to provide a perfect balance of sport and comfort in an SUV which enables it to handle like a car. It handled incredibly with the air suspension and PASM suspension. If this were for me, this is the one I would pick and since the PHEV is only a little more, I would probably get that as it just adds to the S' already great engine.

The only one we weren't able to test drive was the RSQ8 but my wife doesn't really like it but it's hard to tell until you drive one. What we both learned after these test drives was that we really like a V8 engine. The 6's we drove just weren't going to cut it.

So right now it is going to be between the Porsche or the Range Rover Sport Autobiography (with the PHEV 6). Given the time frame we will likely have to buy out our X7 but in test driving all of these cars, I do have to say that it gave me more of an appreciation for my X7. While I don't love the throttle response or the floatiness of it even in sport mode, it showed me how comfortable and smooth it really is with a good amount of power and it really does well when we travel for the most part.
Wow, that is a full day of car shopping! How long did it take you?
We absolutely love our Macan - Porsche nails their SUVs. I'd lean team Porsche on this one too.
Old 02-26-24, 10:11 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330

He has been doing it for I think 40 years now? Really good at his craft that's for sure, I don't bother measuring stuff from him anymore
Old 02-26-24, 10:18 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Not certain, this shop primarily does domestic OHV V8s so it's a big block of some sort I would imagine. A LOT of the circle track and drag guys come here, I have 1.5 engines from him as well and the machine work/accuracy is phenomenally good.

I actually had one of my engines suffer a severe issue with the oil pump cracking during a race and he did such a good job with the concentricity of the mains/bores to crank etc that I was able to finish. Bearings ate it, crank and everything else was totally fine! I had that block redone and it's now my spare with its twin in my truck.

Stuff I brought him this time is much more mundane, it's a pair of 1.9 TDI heads to be refreshed and decked.
Looks like a big engine. Is the block aluminum or iron?

Old 02-26-24, 10:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Looks like a big engine. Is the block aluminum or iron?
Iron, bores are so wide my closed fist can't touch the walls. Easily a 7-8L engine if it has even somewhat a long stoke
Old 02-26-24, 11:43 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Iron, bores are so wide my closed fist can't touch the walls. Easily a 7-8L engine if it has even somewhat a long stoke
427…7.0 litre
Old 02-26-24, 11:51 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Wow, that is a full day of car shopping! How long did it take you?
We absolutely love our Macan - Porsche nails their SUVs. I'd lean team Porsche on this one too.
Well considering I know my wife absolutely loathes going to car dealers to test drive cars, we were able to go to each dealer relatively quickly since the Porsche, Audi and Land Rover dealers were in the same city and the BMW and MB dealer were across the street from each other which was about 35 minutes away. We only spent about 5 hours total but it was a long 5 hours because it seems to take forever talking/dealing with dealers.
Old 02-26-24, 12:25 PM
Lagtime
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

Seeing the torque plate would also make me feel good about the quality of work.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024