Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-24, 07:00 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

That's definitely yellow.
Old 02-26-24, 07:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Salespeople are really stupid to behave that way though, a lot of the richest people I know drive nondescript and old cars.
that's part of how they became rich

reminds me of this clip of bezos from 1999 when he was already a billionaire while still rockin the old accord

Old 02-26-24, 07:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Carmax and a few independent dealerships are the ones I've found are more likely to just let you take the car and go for a drive without the salesman.

Anytime I've test driven a car at a dealership associated with a manufacturer, they always send a salesman on the test drive(and usually the salesman drives it off the property and swaps places with you after a bit). I'm not a teenager, I'm a working professional, it's weird. But I'm also not assertive enough to say "I'd prefer to take it by myself", because I always assume that will just make them suspicious of me.
I actually like having a salesman with me and all of them let me put it through its paces and some beg me to drive it hard, especially the BMW and Porsche dealer. The other reason I like having them with me is that I don’t have a ton of time and they help me with all of the features/drive modes in each car since I’m not familiar with most of them so it saves me time trying to figure it out myself.
Old 02-26-24, 08:12 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

patgilm, i see you've done the trip down 'euro row' for suvs
any interest in an ev like a model x?
Old 02-26-24, 08:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
patgilm, i see you've done the trip down 'euro row' for suvs
any interest in an ev like a model x?
Absolutely…zero interest. If I were to get an EV SUV it would be a Rivian but my wife and I both agree it’s not worth it at this time to have two EVs until the charging network is built out. Our SUV is used for traveling and the charging network isn’t good enough where we go for us to consider one at this time. It would only cause me frustration if I had to go out of my way to charge on a trip. I’ve traveled with my Plaid twice and both times it was late and I just wanted to get home, not stop and charge.
Old 02-26-24, 08:37 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
That looks pretty yellow to me, reminiscent of my grandparents old W210. I like it though.
Gauges are yellow, but switches and everything else is orange-red like how BMW used to do. The camera just sucks.

I remember white backlight in W140's, but I could be totally wrong. This was yearrrrrrssss ago.
Old 02-26-24, 09:10 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Absolutely…zero interest. If I were to get an EV SUV it would be a Rivian but my wife and I both agree it’s not worth it at this time to have two EVs until the charging network is built out. Our SUV is used for traveling and the charging network isn’t good enough where we go for us to consider one at this time. It would only cause me frustration if I had to go out of my way to charge on a trip. I’ve traveled with my Plaid twice and both times it was late and I just wanted to get home, not stop and charge.
if the suv is really only for trips, why not just rent one when you go? for the amount you'll shell out to buy one you could rent a bentley bentayga on turo each time.
Old 02-27-24, 04:48 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Delete please.
Old 02-27-24, 04:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

At the crack of dawn….At Toyota getting service.

Was hoping for Donut Store flavour, but nope….will have to settle for the flagship Lol

it really is nice in the waiting room, all by myself before everyone wakes up…

Hope y’all have a great day 😃

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 02-27-24 at 04:57 AM.
Old 02-27-24, 05:49 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

Tell her to be more ambivalent since she hates it so much.... lol jk jk... all in good humor.
That can be an advantage to bring her along.

Being disinterested and annoyed, helps with the sale.

What doesn't help is when my wife loves the car we are looking at, she can't hide it. Lol

Originally Posted by SW17LS
There's absolute truth to that, I'm pulling up in an S Class.

Salespeople are really stupid to behave that way though, a lot of the richest people I know drive nondescript and old cars.
Yeah, it depends on the salesman.

The seasoned sales people know if you are ready to buy and can size you up even if you dress in rags and get dropped off in a beater.

Sure, some dealers are more aggressive than others.

I just walk in and ask for a sales person, easy as that.

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's part of how they became rich

reminds me of this clip of bezos from 1999 when he was already a billionaire while still rockin the old accord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOmsLlZPaxA
He got rich because he had almost unlimited access to investor money. Lol

if the suv is really only for trips, why not just rent one when you go? for the amount you'll shell out to buy one you could rent a bentley bentayga on turo each time.
That's what I was thinking too.

In fact, I may rent a car next year for holiday.
Old 02-27-24, 06:10 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's what I was thinking too.

In fact, I may rent a car next year for holiday.
Good questions and if it was only for vacations that would make sense but my son plays travel hockey so we travel up to PA, NJ and VA a fair amount and my daughter dances so we travel up to PA and VA for her. As a result we would be renting a car A LOT. It's also the reason why cargo space is important because sometimes we take my son's friends to games locally and need room in the back for two hockey bags and sticks. I'm really trying to see if the Cayenne works but the cargo area is the smallest of the SUVs we test drove.
Old 02-27-24, 07:11 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Good questions and if it was only for vacations that would make sense but my son plays travel hockey so we travel up to PA, NJ and VA a fair amount and my daughter dances so we travel up to PA and VA for her. As a result we would be renting a car A LOT. It's also the reason why cargo space is important because sometimes we take my son's friends to games locally and need room in the back for two hockey bags and sticks. I'm really trying to see if the Cayenne works but the cargo area is the smallest of the SUVs we test drove.
When we picked the Ody, we lugged all our crap to the dealer and asked for the keys to one to load it up
Old 02-27-24, 07:47 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Allen K
When we picked the Ody, we lugged all our crap to the dealer and asked for the keys to one to load it up
You know what, that is exactly what I was thinking about doing. It is the only way to see if it would work.
Old 02-27-24, 09:07 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I personally like to travel in my own cars vs renting a car for trips...I spend a lot of money for great cars and if I'm going to spend hours and hours in a car, I want it to be one of my great cars
Old 02-27-24, 09:15 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

I rent cars very frequently. It satisfies my car ADD in some ways but I'd much rather be in my own car 90% of the time.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024