Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-24, 09:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yes they have a center diff lol! Otherwise you literally can't have an AWD mode lol! If by bypass you mean run in 2WD sure, otherwise no lol! If I'm in 4hi unlocked it's using the center diff, if I lock it then it turns into actual 4WD 50:50 fixed power split axle to axle.

It doesn't have a limited slip (torson) center diff, if it did it wouldn't act like it does off road. It has to be locked to go into actual 50:50 power split otherwise if I have even ONE wheel spin it sends all of it there.

you 100% have a Torsen limited slip differential in the centre

My Jeep is the one that has actual full time AWD, it has a viscous coupling center diff system that unlike my sequoia when in 4hi is able to send power front or rear depending on what is spinning.
Your Sequioa can do the exact same thing. Same with my two 4Rs. LX and GX as well as LC and Taco Limited. Lexus ISawd and LSawd too
Good ones have torson
Lexus LS500 and Lexus Ls500h have true awd. With a Torsen centre differential

The ultimate level is that plus a TVD on the axles,
kudos to Toyota offering the TVD on the Lexus RC-F…but not a awd model

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-02-24 at 10:10 AM.
Old 03-02-24, 10:32 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
you 100% have a Torsen limited slip differential in the centre

Your Sequioa can do the exact same thing. Same with my two 4Rs. LX and GX as well as LC and Taco Limited. Lexus ISawd and LSawd too

Lexus LS500 and Lexus Ls500h have true awd. With a Torsen centre differential

kudos to Toyota offering the TVD on the Lexus RC-F…but not a awd model
Then it is by far the worst one I've ever used, you loose traction on one wheel and it just spins it. Functionally useless unless you lock it
Old 03-02-24, 10:35 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Then it is by far the worst one I've ever used, you loose traction on one wheel and it just spins it. Functionally useless unless you lock it
then likely you are in 2WD mode
Old 03-02-24, 11:22 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

then likely you are in 2WD mode
Seriously? Do you seriously think I don't have the ability to see where the selector is rotated to? Jesus Christ do you even take your cars off road? I bet your front skid plate has zero rock impact/scrapes on it lol!
Old 03-02-24, 12:03 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Seriously? Do you seriously think I don't have the ability to see where the selector is rotated to? Jesus Christ do you even take your cars off road? I bet your front skid plate has zero rock impact/scrapes on it lol!
You said one tire was spinning. That is exact definition on 2WD. You have open differentials in the front and rear…However, if you had one front wheel and one rear spinning and 4H engaged then you’d be stuck…your Torsen centre would not rescue you. Neither would 50:50 lock. Same applies to the Tacoma and Tundra and Lexus GX and Lexus LX.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-02-24 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-02-24, 12:30 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
Is the one in my signature not showing up? The pic below was the first day I drove it into work.

It's been raining heavy all morning. Tomorrow is suppsoed to be 65 and sunny all day. I'm going to take it out for a drive and some better pics.

Looks awesome!

White seats, yikes that scares me because I would fear ruining them.
Old 03-02-24, 03:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You said one tire was spinning. That is exact definition on 2WD. You have open differentials in the front and rear…However, if you had one front wheel and one rear spinning and 4H engaged then you’d be stuck…your Torsen centre would not rescue you. Neither would 50:50 lock. Same applies to the Tacoma and Tundra and Lexus GX and Lexus LX.
In that exact situation I set it to lock and it moved, aka the torson is so bad it doesn't matter. Went from no move to move? Make sense?
Old 03-02-24, 04:18 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I have zero use for a center differential out here in the west. I'll keep my transfer case TYVM. I only want RWD on the highway. I use 4WD when I'm off-roading, or in the rare instance I encounter snow..

Old 03-02-24, 08:13 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

aka the torson is so bad it doesn't matter.
I respect that you don’t like Torsen. And that is unfortunate that it hasn’t worked for you. I personally think it’s great that Toyota has a purely mechanical system that is reliant on no electric or hybrid components and does not have any CPU intervention. Very old technology. Audi used a Torsen Center diff all the way back to the 1980s. Still do today. All their S models still use (or might just now be changing) a Torsen diff. The Bentley Continental GT uses TorsenT-3 centre differential. 200MPH V12s pushing through a Torsen Center diff. Majestic. I think the S8 still used one up until 2022. VW Touareg has it too.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I have zero use for a center differential out here in the west. I'll keep my transfer case TYVM. ..
A full time 4WD system doesn’t lose its transfer case with when it has a centre diff. It keeps it. Totally cool that it’s not for you.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-02-24 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-03-24, 06:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Oh I can't see this going wrong......I don't know why they went with the 3.0S and all it's issues lol! I do agree with them though, these are very very nice cars as far as ride and very capable if you are willing to roll dice on the engine.
Old 03-03-24, 06:24 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I respect that you don’t like Torsen. And that is unfortunate that it hasn’t worked for you. I personally think it’s great that Toyota has a purely mechanical system that is reliant on no electric or hybrid components and does not have any CPU intervention. Very old technology. Audi used a Torsen Center diff all the way back to the 1980s. Still do today. All their S models still use (or might just now be changing) a Torsen diff. The Bentley Continental GT uses TorsenT-3 centre differential. 200MPH V12s pushing through a Torsen Center diff. Majestic. I think the S8 still used one up until 2022. VW Touareg has it too.

A full time 4WD system doesn’t lose its transfer case with when it has a centre diff. It keeps it. Totally cool that it’s not for you.
Uh huh........you do know that a torson CAN'T work if one wheel has no traction right? Look up how the gear bias system works and why it is useless without some type of computer override at the brakes or a clutch system. Audi has computer override control ability AND pre-load clutches, reread what I wrote and they also use a system that they designed to totally overcome the disadvantages of torsons being unable to work when one wheel has zero traction. You are literally talking to someone who HAS a 12 cyl Audi with the full sport driveline btw. You are the one who doesn't understand how these systems work and why the Toyota implementation is the laziest and least effective and has a SERIOUS drawback with loosing all power if one wheel has zero traction. You need to lock it if you don't want to be stuck since it doesn't have pre-load clutches or a way to override.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen...20rear%20axles.

Read the above, there is a max/min ratio that if you are outside of the diff then goes to ZERO ability to send power. Aka if you have one wheel with zero traction you get no power sent. You need a clutch based preload system OR some sort of system that clamps the brakes to overcome this, if you don't have that it will suck. That's why all true off road vehicles have the ability to LOCK the center to avoid this whole issue. Do you understand the issue now? Here, I'll quote the pertinent section for you so there is no misunderstanding whatsoever on how these systems work.......

When a Torsen differential is employed, the slower-moving wheel always receives more torque than the faster-moving wheel. The Torsen T-2R RaceMaster is the only Torsen to have a preload clutch. So, even if a wheel is airborne, torque is applied to the other side. If one wheel were raised in the air, the regular Torsen units would act like an open differential, and no torque would be transferred to the other wheel.

Btw Audis don't use simple old torsons anymore. Haven't for a while. That's 30 year old tech, they use the below tech and TVDs on top of it with the express design goal of totally avoiding that exact drawback of traditional torson systems. I have nothing against the old torson systems btw, I have had 4 vehicles with them and I know their limits is all. If I can pick I will pick something with at least a center locker.

https://www.audi-technology-portal.d...r-differential

Last edited by Striker223; 03-03-24 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 07:04 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Hahaha that was great!! I love the Throttle House guys. They've overtaken Savagegeese as my favorite reviewers.

Lol at the backup camera on the LR4!! I've always thought these looked good but the 3.0S sounds so strained and unrefined.

Striker, I watched the 4.2 Audi V8 being torn down the other day. A plastic timing chain guide ruined the engine and what a total pita it was to get there.

Old 03-03-24, 07:13 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsen...20rear%20axles.

When a Torsen differential is employed, the slower-moving wheel always receives more torque than the faster-moving wheel. The Torsen T-2R RaceMaster is the only Torsen to have a preload clutch. So, even if a wheel is airborne, torque is applied to the other side. If one wheel were raised in the air, the regular Torsen units would act like an open differential, and no torque would be transferred to the other wheel.
l
The above is in reference to the front or rear axle not the centre differential. In your Sequoia, you’d need one wheel in the front and one wheel in the back to lose traction in 4H..both axles are open dffs…but in 2H, just one wheel in the back would need to lose power. If you lock you transfer case to 50;50 and one wheel is stuck and one rear wheel is stuck, your not gonna go anywhere as you have open front/rear diffs.

You are literally talking to someone who HAS a 12 cyl Audi with the full sport driveline btw.
Your Audi V12 if awd has a torsen centre differential.

Originally Posted by LH1
Striker, I watched the 4.2 Audi V8 being torn down the other day. A plastic timing chain guide ruined the engine and what a total pita it was to get there.
How,old was the Audi 4.2V8?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 03-03-24 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-03-24, 07:16 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

This is in reference to the front or rear axle, not the centre differential.
So what magic makes the center diff immune to this? There is no difference lol! A diff has 1 input and 2 outputs, it makes ZERO difference where they lead to. If you lose traction on any one single wheel the system will send ALL power that way and you will be stuck, exactly as my Sequoia was when I tried it.
Old 03-03-24, 07:19 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etqrW21LG6o&t=63s

Oh I can't see this going wrong......I don't know why they went with the 3.0S and all it's issues lol! I do agree with them though, these are very very nice cars as far as ride and very capable if you are willing to roll dice on the engine.
LOL I just watched that as well because my wife loved the LR4. We almost traded out 2012 GX460 on one in 2016 but we heard the Discovery/LR5 was coming out and we stupidly thought we should wait until those came out thinking it would be a modern LR4…and it wasn’t. It was terrible and we should’ve bought the LR4 when we had the chance. I still like them.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024