Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-24, 07:23 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
No, I got my 2001 IS300 from Pohanka in Chantilly. It was a lot closer to my place. I had a friend who lives not far from the Silver Spring Lexus place.

I was not totally satisfied with the experience at Pohanka either. First, they were not willing to negotiate much on the price (perhaps because it was a hard-to-find bright yellow model)...the salesman wanted to give me more of a break, but the sales-managers kept balking. Then, after taking delivery, I butted-heads with the General Manager, several times, who was adamant that customers were not allowed to wash their own cars in the clean-up-bay. The previous Saturn dealership I had dealt with was glad to let me do it in their shop...but not these bozos. They lost a customer by doing that....I have not bought another vehicle from that place since, although I did some reviews/test-drives and have gone there with others.
I was actually going to mention Pohanka because even though I didn’t end up buying from them, had I not had a contact at Lindsay, I would’ve gotten my Lexus’ from them. They were great to deal with and gave very good discounts.
Old 01-05-24, 07:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
Ive been there a few times and never had a great experience buying there. The one time I actually tried buying from them they tried to bait and switch with me after I put a $1000 deposit down. Ended up going somewhere else. Did you actually buy from them?
I bought my 2017 LS460L there. They were great. I’ve used them for service some over the years and that was not so great.

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
I think the tariff is lime 2%. I think it ruins the vehicle. Just go all out
2% is 2%. I think whether or not it has a parcel shelf or a fake seat isn’t an issue at all, and certainly wouldn’t ruin the vehicle for me.
Old 01-05-24, 07:52 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
also like many she doesn't really have a concept of HVAC operation and will turn the temperature way down to "cool things off quicker", even though the car is already cooling itself as quick as possible if it's been sitting in 85+ degree heat and sunlight regardless if you set the temperature for 70 or 65
‘I truly and passionately despise auto HVAC. I can’t believe people prefer it

Originally Posted by SW17LS
2% is 2%. I think whether or not it has a parcel shelf or a fake seat isn’t an issue at all, and certainly wouldn’t ruin the vehicle for me.
LOL. OK SW

LC500 is a very nice car. It’s their best car effort. But it is behind or lacks vs its peers. It would be better/more prestigious with a tasteful parcel shelf and no rear seats.

It’s the only Lexus that still uses the red LED door lock lights. Even LS cheaped out with peg pop ups.

looking at old brochures online. I never knew this model had a W12 twin turbo.
208MPH @Striker223

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-05-24 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-05-24, 08:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just don’t think the seat vs parcel shelf is an issue at all, not something that would impact its appeal to me one way or the other. The LC IMO is one of the most beautiful cars you can buy today, that’s why I would buy one…
Old 01-05-24, 08:50 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Do you guys local Lexus dealer give courtesy car washes? I take the LX to the dealer to get courtesy hand washed every week. I haven’t washed it myself in years. I wash other vehicles at home.
I bet they love you down there. Lol

Are they cool to you or do they act bothered for bringing it in every week?

I guess it could be a good sales strategy.

My dad goes in for his free oil changes at Toyota and every 1-3 years they talk him into looking around and trading up while he's waiting.
Old 01-05-24, 09:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Lots of dealers will do a free wash like that. Keeps customers coming in and engaged with the dealer…
Old 01-05-24, 09:10 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

The parcel shelf argument is funny to me. I’ve never seen that as being more desirable.
Old 01-05-24, 09:15 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The parcel shelf argument is funny to me. I’ve never seen that as being more desirable.
Agreed. A seat works as a parcel shelf too
Old 01-05-24, 09:21 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 185 Likes on 156 Posts

The experience at that little dealer is nothing to be excited about lol, there is hardly any waiting area, they have people sitting literally in the entrance foyer. The new modern Lexus dealers are way, way better. Little dealer like this just can't handle the volume of customers a Lexus dealer serves today.
Originally Posted by Margate330
I bet they love you down there. Lol

Are they cool to you or do they act bothered for bringing it in every week?

I guess it could be a good sales strategy.

My dad goes in for his free oil changes at Toyota and every 1-3 years they talk him into looking around and trading up while he's waiting.
Lots of dealers will do a free wash like that. Keeps customers coming in and engaged with the dealer…
No problems whatsoever
Old 01-05-24, 09:54 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Just now...this younger guy in a brand new one, white murdered out 2023 Accord.... kept flying by me, just driving like an idiot. He liked his car, that's cool. Welllllp we made it to a red light and he got his *** handed to him by the LX570... He tried to race once more from a roll but he got dusted again. Then he refused to engage, like a dog with a tail in between its legs.

How cool does he feel now when he got repeatedly smoked by a 2014 SUV in his brand new top of the line Accord? Lol.
and if you encounter an ioniq 5 like mine, it will dust your lx with no cylinders or gears.

boys and their toys... always someone faster.

An old gen Accord would absolutely have left me in the dust... That's my point lol.

The discontinued Accord 2.0T did 0-60 in 5.5 seconds and was called "too fast" by C&D, and no matter what gets said on this forum, I see a lot of them versus the base engine.

And yep, same crap with the Camry. It had a 303hp monster V6 gone for hybrid only.

Awful times.
awful times? you can buy a mid engine corvette that's faster than ever.
you can buy a 40-50k tesla that will dust most anything on the road.

you guys endlessly whining on here about 4cyl engines and the loss of NA v6 and v8 engines... it's pretty funny.

I think the tariff is lime 2%. I think it ruins the vehicle. Just go all out
coupe rear seats 'ruin s the vehicle' - really? see pics below.

LC500 is a very nice car. It’s their best car effort. But it is behind or lacks vs its peers. It would be better/more prestigious with a tasteful parcel shelf and no rear seats.

what peers are you referring to? a bentley is not the lc500's peer.
Agreed. A seat works as a parcel shelf too
it sure does.

It's a super nice parcel shelf with killer-nice carpet in the SL:

all due respect, that looks like shat compared to my lc500. woofer is between the back seats behind that cover by the way.

‘I truly and passionately despise auto HVAC. I can’t believe people prefer it
you're in a tiny minority of control freaks / luddites people who don't like climate control.

Old 01-06-24, 05:35 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

When I sit in the LC 500. I can’t get comfortable. It doesn’t have enough headroom, and I can’t recline the seat back because with it in my position, it is literally touching the backseat! sadly, I couldn’t buy one, even if I could afford it.

I wonder if it would be more comfortable if it had a parcel shelf back there instead of the pointless backseat?
Old 01-06-24, 08:01 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
When I sit in the LC 500. I can’t get comfortable. It doesn’t have enough headroom, and I can’t recline the seat back because with it in my position, it is literally touching the backseat! sadly, I couldn’t buy one, even if I could afford it.

I wonder if it would be more comfortable if it had a parcel shelf back there instead of the pointless backseat?
Well as you can see from the parcel shelves posted in this thread, it’s not like they open up a ton of room.
Old 01-06-24, 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Unfortunately this is just a reality with sporty coupes, sometimes they just don't fit you well, they can't be universally comfortable. I fit in it perfectly, but like you saw from my picture the seat is touching the rear seat.

Both of my brothers in law are taller than me, 6'2 and 6'4 and theres no way they would fit in an LC...or most cars like that...it just is what it is
Old 01-06-24, 09:14 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

I just got a random mis-sent email from Dollar Rent A Car. This guy rented a Sienna Hybrid. That's nice. I thought we could only rent these from Toyotas.
Old 01-06-24, 09:20 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

hmm interesting. i'm 6'3 and fit fine. i have a coupe so maybe that has a bit more headroom than the 'vert with top up.

i don't think so.

Both of my brothers in law are taller than me, 6'2 and 6'4 and theres no way they would fit in an LC...or most cars like that...it just is what it is
so at 6'3" i have my lc seat set at lowest and back as far as possible* and no issue with head room.

* so the lc seat fore/aft control is funny... as you push it back the seat BACK goes more upright to allow the seat to go back further. so you get to make the trade-odd.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024