Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-24, 01:39 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I became a true interior snob the minute my brother bought a C5 Corvette when we were teens. That car was truly the plastic fantastic.

He is still an American muscle guy but thank goodness they’re built to higher standards nowadays. Greta car on the track though despite the numb steering.
Oh yeah, GM has come a lonnnnnnnng way with interiors.

And that's great.
Old 01-06-24, 02:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Bit, I'm not moving goal posts.. I'm not playing games. I just don't care about EVs, not really. Nothing personal, it's just like food. I don't care that you can beat me on this street. You can't beat me to other cities in an urgent and very dire situation, that's 100% guaranteed. I just went through it with an ICE vehicle, stopped once to get gas and was even flustered with that. Charging I couldn't imagine.
But you do care that you can beat a 1.5L Accord with your LX. It’s a double standard, you either care about performance of a vehicle or you don’t.

You absolutely do move the goalposts when you care about a specific performance metric and then shift that to another performance metric when it’s demonstrated to you that a vehicle you don’t like out performs yours in that metric. “Oh but it can’t do this”, that’s the very definition of moving the goalposts lol
Old 01-06-24, 02:23 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SW17LS
But you do care that you can beat a 1.5L Accord with your LX. It’s a double standard, you either care about performance of a vehicle or you don’t.

You absolutely do move the goalposts when you care about a specific performance metric and then shift that to another performance metric when it’s demonstrated to you that a vehicle you don’t like out performs yours in that metric. “Oh but it can’t do this”, that’s the very definition of moving the goalposts lol
It was just a silly race, I don't "care" anything about it. I hate that Honda ripped out the potent engine, that's my main point here. You think nobody cares about good engines but they do. More than you think. Why did they ever do it at all, then? Why was there ever a V6 Camry?

Why does that Denali have the Corvette engine? The 5.3L is more than good enough. People pay more for the bigger 6.2. Why offer the High output non-Hurricane because the regular is more than adequate.

I don't care that Bit's Hyundai will beat my LX, at all. Lol. Most EVs would I would imagine. But I would not buy one because they can't do things that I specifically want. And that's okay...
Old 01-06-24, 02:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Certainly some people care, but sales figures tell the story. The Camry had a V6 because that was a common engine at the time, then they found that almost nobody bought the V6, so they discontinued it. At one time Accords had a V6 too.

Honda removed the 2.0T, and their sales are up. Again, it’s a business. They looked at what people were buying and what they were saying was the most important to them and they adjusted their offerings to reflect those wants.

Most consumers just don’t care how many cylinders their cars have or what they do 0-60, overwhelmingly they care about fuel economy. Lots of surveys and studies show that. Different vehicles have buyers who want different things. GM obviously finds their truck consumers want those engines. Honda has found their Accord consumers don’t. Simple.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-06-24 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-06-24, 03:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Honda removed the 2.0T, and their sales are up. Again, it’s a business. They looked at what people were buying and what they were saying was the most important to them and they adjusted their offerings to reflect those wants.
I would bet money Honda will bring something back to spicen the Accord back up. Wait a model year or two and we'll see.

Most consumers just don’t care how many cylinders their cars have or what they do 0-60, overwhelmingly they care about fuel economy. Lots of surveys and studies show that. Different vehicles have buyers who want different things. GM obviously finds their truck consumers want those engines. Honda has found their Accord consumers don’t. Simple.
Which is my whole point, you are making it for me here. People care. Why are most Yukons sold as Denalis? A biggie is the 6.2L engine.

And we'll see about the Accord. I predict they'll bring something back that performs way better.
Old 01-06-24, 03:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would bet money Honda will bring something back to spicen the Accord back up. Wait a model year or two and we'll see.
I will take that bet. It’s just a family sedan, sales are doing fine. Not everything has to be for an enthusiast. The future for the Accord is hybrids.

Which is my whole point, you are making it for me here. People care. Why are most Yukons sold as Denalis? A biggie is the 6.2L engine.

And we'll see about the Accord. I predict they'll bring something back that performs way better.
Some people care, and it depends on the model. Yukons are a luxury purchase, those consumers care more. People who buy downmarket buy Tahoes.

Performance and Accord don’t go together and don’t need to.
Old 01-06-24, 03:50 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I will take that bet. It’s just a family sedan, sales are doing fine. Not everything has to be for an enthusiast. The future for the Accord is hybrids.
IMO, that's GM's biggest problem right now. Instead of the mad rush to all-electric, they should be introducing some hybrids for those who don't have readily-available charging outlets. I'd snap up a hybrid Encore GX in an instant.

Old 01-06-24, 04:26 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

As they develop EV tech I bet you will find they do come out with hybrids.
Old 01-06-24, 04:26 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

it is also true though that cafe standards keep getting stricter, and if car companies don't keep upping their average fleet economy, they pay fines (biiiig fines).
Old 01-06-24, 04:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

For once we whole heartedly agree. I don't get why people don't use auto.

I just prefer to do it myself. Just never liked auto.

I also like dials vs buttons
Old 01-06-24, 04:40 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

What else is an Accord known for besides practicality, room, etc. What else besides that?

Chassis excellence in engineering, design, and real world performance.

Go back as far as you possibly can and you'll find nothing but praise for the frisky chassis, as if it's engineered for the enthusiast. Read every C&D 10 Best list it's been on for however many years. Honda kills it with the chassis engineering and makes it fun to drive. Honda is good with that. It had the engine to go along with the goods...until now.

Neutering the powertrain to a hybrid (lots of people don't want to drive a hybrid) was just pitiful. I really think something spicier will be back.

Do you still think there won't be new 5.3L V8 Chevy trucks in 2030 since we brought up wagers? It's been a year or two since we've mentioned it. That's only 6 years away now.
Old 01-06-24, 04:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

saw a Maybach today. I love the two tone paint
Old 01-06-24, 04:49 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
Snow tire time
More like winter car set time lol!