Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-24, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I never had mercury metallic, but it is also very nice.
How's that different from Ford metallic? They both use the same paint.

(just kidding)
Old 04-07-24, 05:46 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Mercedes did not create the color silver lol
No, but it can be argued that they perfected it. It was, and is, the classic Mercedes color.
Old 04-07-24, 06:05 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Meh, silver is silver they all look the same to me. unless it’s something unique like atomic silver but that’s not really a traditional silver. It’s more of a gold color.

I had a millennium silver metallic RX 350 for seven years. And I always hated that that it was that color but I bought it used so I didn’t have much choice. I don’t ever wanna own another silver car again!
Old 04-07-24, 06:12 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

I was considering a separate thread but eh I'll throw it here.....

Does anyone else have their cars feel slow after a while? I've been outright daily driving the W12 since late last year and if I'm not driving it I'm driving the 4.0 and I noticed that they are feeling slow to me? Like I know they aren't and they can absolutely leave people and even "weak" rolls away from a light or stop sign leave everyone way behind me but it just doesn't feel "right" after a few weeks.

The 4.0 is really bad about this, it feels fast as hell on boost and if I'm roll racing when I can see someone else losing but if I'm just driving around it's almost boring. I'm not sure if it's the seats being so adjusted I don't "slam" back into them or even have my neck move or how quiet they are or what. The W12 is even worse since it has no engine tone or vibrations at all under 3k but it still apparent feels heavy to passengers, had someone remark I was getting on it hard when to me I was barely doing anything.

I drove the LS460 today a little to get it in for brake/trans/oil services and it felt absolutely broken at first but then on the way home it felt quicker? Again not sure if it's because it has a louder engine or the seats allow you to move around more or just because I "forgot" what an NA engine ramp up feels like or whatever. Just felt more exciting I guess?

I should probably drive the Jeep for a few days and reset myself back to sane standards lol!
Old 04-07-24, 06:13 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Meh, silver is silver they all look the same to me. unless it’s something unique like atomic silver but that’s not really a traditional silver. It’s more of a gold color.

I had a millennium silver metallic RX 350 for seven years. And I always hated that that it was that color but I bought it used so I didn’t have much choice. I don’t ever wanna own another silver car again!
I will never own a white car or black car again.

Silver is the best of both worlds oh yeah. Lol

​​​​​​

Old 04-07-24, 06:21 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, the Lexus Atomic Silver is superb-looking, but I think Lexus mis-named it. IMHO it is actually more of a Titanium color....somewhat along the lines of what we have seen on some Audis and Chrysler products.
Old 04-07-24, 06:23 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Does anyone else have their cars feel slow after a while? I've been outright daily driving the W12 since late last year and if I'm not driving it I'm driving the 4.0 and I noticed that they are feeling slow to me? Like I know they aren't and they can absolutely leave people and even "weak" rolls away from a light or stop sign leave everyone way behind me but it just doesn't feel "right" after a few weeks.
Nah… my 303 hp GS 350 never feels slow to me, especially after driving that crappy Malibu 1.5T rental and the Camry 2.4 after it in December. My god that Malibu was a soul sucking car! The Camry was better, but it was still slow.

Originally Posted by Margate330

​​​​​​
Nah.. id rather have white, black, gray, or gold. And I knew I would ruffle some feathers saying I don’t like silver. Because it seems to be a favorite color on here.
Old 04-07-24, 08:44 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Believe it or not yes I do, no BS. I just think you get used to it.

Originally Posted by Margate330

​​​​​​
I don’t mind silver, great color that hides dirt but I only like it on certain cars. I also don’t like the goldish hue of Atomic Silver of the 1998 Supra Quicksilver color which is similar. Also, if it ever needs to be painted it is very hard to match. On the GTR’s their Super Silver color is a 8 stage paint process which looks great but no thanks trying to repaint that.

I used to hate black cars and vowed never to get one again after my 2008 IS250 which was a non-metallic black; however my GTR and X7 are both metallic black and it seems way easier to keep clean (although the whole car on my GTR is covered in PPF which makes it way easier to keep clean).

Old 04-07-24, 10:22 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I've never been partial to silver, but I certainly wouldn't turn it down on the right car. I usually prefer a gray instead, although my favorite color for most vehicles red. If I could have found my 540i in a metallic red to match my truck, that would have been perfect.
Old 04-07-24, 10:24 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Nah… my 303 hp GS 350 never feels slow to me, especially after driving that crappy Malibu 1.5T rental and the Camry 2.4 after it in December. My god that Malibu was a soul sucking car! The Camry was better, but it was still slow.
i never realized just how 'not bad at all' my dad's 2004 camry SE V6 was until i used a base model malibu in driver's ed (idk what year but i think 7th gen) at high school... that car really helped me develop a new appreciation for the camry! and especially that silky smooth 3MZ-FE V6, which doesn't compare to the 2GR for top end but at low rpms is more buttery and effortless
Old 04-08-24, 12:13 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I need to install the bags to eliminate that squat but the ole V8 was purring down the highway 🛣️ towing the car back home from the track. I played around using tow/haul and it feels like a different truck using tow/haul vs not using it.
Old 04-08-24, 07:01 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

I need to install the bags to eliminate that squat but the ole V8 was purring down the highway 🛣️ towing the car back home from the track. I played around using tow/haul and it feels like a different truck using tow/haul vs not using it.
that squat looks bad. Too bad Toyota never put air springs in the rear. They did with their 4Runner and Sequoia back when the Tundra debuted in 2007
Old 04-08-24, 08:04 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

So you’re towing at 87 mph? I can’t tell you how much I love that or how much it impresses me. I was very impressed by the two drivers towing trailers who were going about 90 when the trailer started to wave and they couldn’t save it. Physics always wins.
Old 04-08-24, 10:06 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
that squat looks bad. Too bad Toyota never put air springs in the rear. They did with their 4Runner and Sequoia back when the Tundra debuted in 2007
I have bags sitting in my garage. I just need to trim down the factory bump stops and throw the bags on. I wonder if the squat has a negative impact on my mpg while towing.

Originally Posted by link13
So you’re towing at 87 mph? I can’t tell you how much I love that or how much it impresses me. I was very impressed by the two drivers towing trailers who were going about 90 when the trailer started to wave and they couldn’t save it. Physics always wins.
I passed a late model 2500 Ram towing a camper smaller than my trailer and he was swaying. Kinda surprised by that.

With the tow haul on, this thing eats up the highway. I got the magnuson SC kit bookmarked😏

When my buddies and I are heading back home from the track, I’m usually in the back. 😬 They have 3/4 ton diesels
Old 04-08-24, 10:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Just be careful man, you don't want a trailer tire blowout at high speeds.

Not trying to be a granny.

I've got a new boat and new legit trailer and the same 5.7; I'd be terrified to tow it that fast.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024