Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-24, 06:18 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
But I bet you have been "smoked" many times while you were on a call on your way to a showing. Mad internet points ensued.

I rarely get anything that even appears to be an attempt to race in the M3, but when someone seems to be trying to beat me from a light or to a merge (or both) it's nearly always a Rav4 or Rogue. I usually just let them take it unless I'm in a bad mood.
Nobody tries to race me in my RX330.

But, if I was driving an old mustang or a riced up Honda and I was revving my engine at the lights and burning a little rubber it wouldn't be long before someone will pull up next to me wanting to rev it out. Lol

At least that's how it worked back in the day.

Ps- seen lots of riced Honda's but I never owned one. But anything that looks sporty and reckless will attract attention. Lol
Old 01-08-24, 08:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

People are ALWAYS trying to race the Mercedes. Whether the top is up or down, it makes no difference.

The day I got it (a year ago yesterday!) and was driving home from Chattanooga some guy tried to race me on the interstate lol. I hadn't owned it 45 minutes.
Old 01-08-24, 08:17 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
People are ALWAYS trying to race the Mercedes. Whether the top is up or down, it makes no difference.

The day I got it (a year ago yesterday!) and was driving home from Chattanooga some guy tried to race me on the interstate lol. I hadn't owned it 45 minutes.
Well, for one it looks like a fast car.

Are you doing pulls at each traffic light or revving the engine?

This will also attract attention.
Old 01-08-24, 08:47 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Well, for one it looks like a fast car.

Are you doing pulls at each traffic light or revving the engine?

This will also attract attention.
Hell no, lol. People just want to race. Usually I don't even engage.
Old 01-08-24, 10:02 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

I disagree that the current Accord is the best looking Accord ever. I liked it’s predecessor. I actually wanted to lease a 2019 2.0T Accord Touring. The insurance cost even for a homeowner with a clean driving record was more than I was willing to pay. The Civic was a compromise, but it does get 40 mpg pretty regularly so that’s not terrible.
Old 01-08-24, 10:11 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I disagree that the current Accord is the best looking Accord ever. I liked it’s predecessor. I actually wanted to lease a 2019 2.0T Accord Touring. The insurance cost even for a homeowner with a clean driving record was more than I was willing to pay. The Civic was a compromise, but it does get 40 mpg pretty regularly so that’s not terrible.
i believe it about the insurance, the previous gen accord more than any other seemed to attract the Q50/G37 types that're doing all the weaving in and out... the 2.0T and low profile tires undoubtedly contributed to this lol, it's gotta be a tuner's delight!
Old 01-08-24, 10:25 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i believe it about the insurance, the previous gen accord more than any other seemed to attract the Q50/G37 types that're doing all the weaving in and out... the 2.0T and low profile tires undoubtedly contributed to this lol, it's gotta be a tuner's delight!
I suspect at least part of it was high rate of comprehensive claims. I've seen significantly more posts online the past few years about 10G Accords having their stock wheels stolen then all other cars combined. Not sure why, or if my observation matches reality, but that's what I see.
Old 01-08-24, 10:32 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Nobody tries to race me in my RX330
if i see an RX all i'm thinking is uh oh please let this just be someone driving someone else's RX and not an 'RX driver'... i usually try to give them plenty of space or just quickly pass before something can happen lol

as i see it... to buy an RX generally indicates to me that you don't enjoy driving, you're interested in isolating yourself as much as possible from anything to do with driving, you probably believe an AWD SUV is necessary for 'safety' since your area very occasionally receives mild flurries, and you likely have enough money that minor accidents aren't the biggest deal

mechanically nice reliable and very comfortable cars but even 20 years ago my dad preferred the MDX for the increased driving engagement and feel
Old 01-08-24, 10:33 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

I suspect at least part of it was high rate of comprehensive claims. I've seen significantly more posts online the past few years about 10G Accords having their stock wheels stolen then all other cars combined. Not sure why, or if my observation matches reality, but that's what I see.
oh i didn't know that but makes a lot of sense... that's what the kia boys did for kias lmao
Old 01-08-24, 10:54 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

oh i didn't know that but makes a lot of sense... that's what the kia boys did for kias lmao
Yes, I see this a lot online or locally. These wheels usually end up on older CR-Vs.

Old 01-08-24, 10:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

how often are you in the types of cars people want to race against? you've exclusively owned discrete "boring" or family oriented cars, and you also never own a car long enough that the same car you're still in can now end up being bought by the type of person who wants to race people lol
AJT was in a 10 year old Lexus LX lol, so pretty much the same kind of thing...

But I bet you have been "smoked" many times while you were on a call on your way to a showing. Mad internet points ensued.
LOL, very possible! Thats what I'm wondering if is happening with a lot of these stories
Old 01-08-24, 11:13 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
AJT was in a 10 year old Lexus LX lol, so pretty much the same kind of thing...
well his accord race is still hearsay lol, but still not exactly the same thing... the LX / land cruiser is definitely more of an enthusiast car, especially as they get older

another thing, do you ever go for a drive just to go for a drive? or are you only commuting? take the benz out on more sunday mornings and you might see a change lol
Old 01-08-24, 11:21 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

if i see an RX all i'm thinking is uh oh please let this just be someone driving someone else's RX and not an 'RX driver'...
My RX has so much attitude it just screams "RACE ME!". Lol

LOL, very possible! Thats what I'm wondering if is happening with a lot of these stories
I'm guessing it happens but you don't notice. 🛸
Old 01-08-24, 11:23 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

well his accord race is still hearsay lol, but still not exactly the same thing... the LX / land cruiser is definitely more of an enthusiast car, especially as they get older

another thing, do you ever go for a drive just to go for a drive? or are you only commuting? take the benz out on more sunday mornings and you might see a change lol
I drive all days of the week…

I'm guessing it happens but you don't notice. 🛸
That’s my point, the races we hear about, do the other people notice and know they are racing?!
Old 01-08-24, 11:47 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

That’s my point, the races we hear about, do the other people notice and know they are racing?!
there's definitely truth here, also how do we differentiate between "a race" and just 2 people stepping on the gas at the same time... does it not count unless there were the 3 honks to start?

i've totally "smoked" people that were absolutely racing against something, just something other than me lmao... and even after "losing" they kept driving like they were phil leotardo facing another 20 years in the can

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024