Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 10:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

This is what I tow with my Tundra.

It weighs about 6k lbs lightly loaded. I have about an inch of squat. I was able to dial most of it out using a weight distribution hitch.

As for the issues with squat, the biggest one is that it pushes down on the back end, and pulls the front end up toward the sky. Less weight on the front makes your steering less effective. Even leveled out, I tend to hang out at about 65 mph max, with spurts to 70 here and there if needed to make a pass.
Old 04-08-24, 10:25 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,238 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

I need to install the bags to eliminate that squat but the ole V8 was purring down the highway 🛣️ towing the car back home from the track. I played around using tow/haul and it feels like a different truck using tow/haul vs not using it.
Definitely need some bags and depending on how heavy you are hauling a weight distribution hitch helps a ton.

Also replacing the OEM tires with e rated 10 ply made a pretty big difference in driveability and were able to air up more appropriately to tow

my old tundra and old trailer. I had Firestone ride rite bags with a remote pump installed in rear.

Old 04-08-24, 10:44 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I have bags sitting in my garage. I just need to trim down the factory bump stops and throw the bags on. I wonder if the squat has a negative impact on my mpg while towing.
s
Affects MPG for sure, but going 87 doesn’t help. So,what diff does it make? As for the squat, historically Toyota built their trucks with its rear up a little bit, so when loaded it would level out. You have some serious squat

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Definitely need some bags and depending on how heavy you are hauling a weight distribution hitch helps a ton.

Also replacing the OEM tires with e rated 10 ply made a pretty big difference in driveability and were able to air up more appropriately to tow

my old tundra and old trailer. I had Firestone ride rite bags with a remote pump installed in rear.

Nice trailer. What did that weight?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-08-24 at 10:48 AM.
Old 04-08-24, 10:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

If I recall correctly about 7500 lbs loaded. Newer trailer is bigger (28 ft vs 22 ft) but it’s all aluminum so it weighs about the same.
Old 04-08-24, 10:49 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice. And the 5.7 pulled well?
Old 04-08-24, 11:08 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Yep, it towed fine except it kicked down gears a lot on inclines (lots of hills and mountains here). It was a lot better to drive than my current GMC diesel on its own when not towing - it handles like a car and was very peppy - but the GMC is a lot more comfortable and capable when towing. My Tundra was also before the larger fuel tank was available so it was a PITA with long tows at 8-9 mpg and only a 26 gallon tank. Not easy gassing up with a trailer, diesel runs a lot longer with no stops.

Tundra really maintained its value, I got nearly as much as I paid for it when selling 7 years after buying.
Old 04-08-24, 11:11 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
This is what I tow with my Tundra.

It weighs about 6k lbs lightly loaded. I have about an inch of squat. I was able to dial most of it out using a weight distribution hitch.

As for the issues with squat, the biggest one is that it pushes down on the back end, and pulls the front end up toward the sky. Less weight on the front makes your steering less effective. Even leveled out, I tend to hang out at about 65 mph max, with spurts to 70 here and there if needed to make a pass.
The Ram 2500 was towing a similar size camper and I noticed as I passed by he had a WDH and was still swaying. Being 100% honest I didn’t experience any sway on the highway. Heck I felt a little nudge here and there off the highway with semi trucks going by going like 45-50.

Do you row with the tow haul on? I tried it both with and without. Tow haul on it feels like a different. Very aggressive throttle input like it’s ready to race!! Tow haul off it was dragging me down on the hills unless I had to lay into it. Kind of felt like driving in eco once I hit a hill without tow haul on.

On my old ‘08 I used tow haul mode maybe 2x max. The throttle input on it was more raw whereas the 2.5 gen feels more refined. But turning on tow haul, it’s a different anaimal.

Originally Posted by AJT123
Just be careful man, you don't want a trailer tire blowout at high speeds.

Not trying to be a granny.

I've got a new boat and new legit trailer and the same 5.7; I'd be terrified to tow it that fast.
I had a blowout on the trailer last month. Ironically I just picked up a new trailer spare before I left. Only reason I found out because I stopped for gas. It was night time and I was traveling 70-75 around the time. I don’t know how long the tire had been flat. It was lukewarm to touch once I stopped.

I want to see how the LX tows it but when I had a U-Haul trailer and car on it, the LX didn’t like anything over 82mph. It wanted to start to sway.

I have the air lift 5000 bags in garage ready to go on the truck. I have some 275/65/20 Toyo AT3s sitting in storage that I may throw on eventually. The stock tires are quiet and return decent mpg.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Affects MPG for sure, but going 87 doesn’t help. As for the squat, historically Toyota built their trucks with its rear up a little bit, so when loaded it would level out. You have some serious squat

Nice trailer. What did that weight?
I’ll have to go outside check the weight of the trailer but the car is 3,100 plus generator, extra set of wheels/tires, tools, TV, small fridge and microwave, misc camping gear.

I usually travel a little slower getting to the track but on the way back home, I’m trying to get back home.
Old 04-08-24, 11:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

10 ply tires are a must when hauling weight like that. Imo
Old 04-08-24, 11:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

The Ram 2500 was towing a similar size camper and I noticed as I passed by he had a WDH and was still swaying. Being 100% honest I didn’t experience any sway on the highway. Heck I felt a little nudge here and there off the highway with semi trucks going by going like 45-50.

Do you row with the tow haul on? I tried it both with and without. Tow haul on it feels like a different. Very aggressive throttle input like it’s ready to race!! Tow haul off it was dragging me down on the hills unless I had to lay into it. Kind of felt like driving in eco once I hit a hill without tow haul on.

On my old ‘08 I used tow haul mode maybe 2x max. The throttle input on it was more raw whereas the 2.5 gen feels more refined. But turning on tow haul, it’s a different anaimal.
I use a WDH with built in sway control. I can feel it on a super windy day, but I don't get more than a nudge from passing semis and such. My trailer is 26' hitch to rear bumper.

As for tow haul, yes, I always use it when towing. I wish it would come on automatically when hooked up to the trailer but there isn't a setting for that. On one road trip, we took a break at a rest area and I forgot to re-engage tow haul as we pulled out to merged with the freeway. I got about half way down the ramp thinking something was seriously wrong with my truck, severely lacking power, when I remembered T/H and immediately engaged it. Huge difference in my experience.
Old 04-08-24, 11:19 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Yep, it towed fine except it kicked down gears a lot on inclines (lots of hills and mountains here). It was a lot better to drive than my current GMC diesel on its own when not towing - it handles like a car and was very peppy - but the GMC is a lot more comfortable and capable when towing. My Tundra was also before the larger fuel tank was available so it was a PITA with long tows at 8-9 mpg and only a 26 gallon tank. Not easy gassing up with a trailer, diesel runs a lot longer with no stops.

Tundra really maintained its value, I got nearly as much as I paid for it when selling 7 years after buying.

Definitely loving the 38 gallon vs the old 26 gallon tank. One track is 316 miles away and I made it without stopping for fuel towing the trailer. Couple of my buddies just moved up to 3/4 diesels and they are towing similar loads and I believe they get like 10-12mpg which is pretty good considering the speed we are traveling.

I’m thinking about adding the 2650 Magnuson.

I wonder how a SC’d 5.7 V8 compares to the new iforce max hybrid towing wise. I watched a YouTube video of a supercharged 5.7 vs non hybrid V6 TT tundra and the V8 smoked it!! Hybrid V6 TT has a lot more hp and torque.

I wouldn’t mind renting a hybrid max tundra for comparisons.
Old 04-08-24, 11:22 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by JDR76
I use a WDH with built in sway control. I can feel it on a super windy day, but I don't get more than a nudge from passing semis and such. My trailer is 26' hitch to rear bumper.

As for tow haul, yes, I always use it when towing. I wish it would come on automatically when hooked up to the trailer but there isn't a setting for that. On one road trip, we took a break at a rest area and I forgot to re-engage tow haul as we pulled out to merged with the freeway. I got about half way down the ramp thinking something was seriously wrong with my truck, severely lacking power, when I remembered T/H and immediately engaged it. Huge difference in my experience.
I don’t remember it being a huge difference on my ‘08 so that’s why I never used it. On the ‘08 I would just use S mode and control it from there.

Either my right foot and/or tow haul mode on the 2.5 gen is a little thirsty.
Old 04-08-24, 11:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Meh, silver is silver they all look the same to me. unless it’s something unique like atomic silver but that’s not really a traditional silver. It’s more of a gold color.

I had a millennium silver metallic RX 350 for seven years. And I always hated that that it was that color but I bought it used so I didn’t have much choice. I don’t ever wanna own another silver car again!
There are definitely big variations in silver. I never liked Millennium Silver because it has a tannish tinge to it.

Originally Posted by Striker223
I was considering a separate thread but eh I'll throw it here.....

Does anyone else have their cars feel slow after a while? I've been outright daily driving the W12 since late last year and if I'm not driving it I'm driving the 4.0 and I noticed that they are feeling slow to me? Like I know they aren't and they can absolutely leave people and even "weak" rolls away from a light or stop sign leave everyone way behind me but it just doesn't feel "right" after a few weeks.

The 4.0 is really bad about this, it feels fast as hell on boost and if I'm roll racing when I can see someone else losing but if I'm just driving around it's almost boring. I'm not sure if it's the seats being so adjusted I don't "slam" back into them or even have my neck move or how quiet they are or what. The W12 is even worse since it has no engine tone or vibrations at all under 3k but it still apparent feels heavy to passengers, had someone remark I was getting on it hard when to me I was barely doing anything.

I drove the LS460 today a little to get it in for brake/trans/oil services and it felt absolutely broken at first but then on the way home it felt quicker? Again not sure if it's because it has a louder engine or the seats allow you to move around more or just because I "forgot" what an NA engine ramp up feels like or whatever. Just felt more exciting I guess?

I should probably drive the Jeep for a few days and reset myself back to sane standards lol!
Oh for sure, you get used to them and you forget how quick and great they are.
Old 04-08-24, 12:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

While I do speed a lot, I generally obey the speed limit while towing trailers. I've seen too many gnarly wrecks by people going too fast with too much trailer.

Heaviest i've towed with my F-150 is about 7200-7500 pounds. It handled it very well, plenty of power. Transmission is fantastic at handling it.
Old 04-08-24, 12:42 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
While I do speed a lot, I generally obey the speed limit while towing trailers. I've seen too many gnarly wrecks by people going too fast with too much trailer.
I hear you.

I don't tow anything anymore but when I did, I wouldn't go over 70 mph.

My biggest fear was a tire or axle goes out on the trailer or someone driving stupid
Old 04-08-24, 12:44 PM
Motorola
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Surprised nobody has posted Sofyan's recent video

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024