Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-24, 01:34 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Looks just like my ES!

Picking up my car from the MB dealer. They can’t find anything wrong. THATS what concerns me about keeping it.
Old 04-08-24, 01:40 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

so how did the light go away? Did they reset it
Old 04-08-24, 01:52 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Picking up my car from the MB dealer. They can’t find anything wrong. THATS what concerns me about keeping it.
Hmmm....I was sure the alternator was the issue and it would get replaced.

I'm totally speculating here but I think they just cleared the code and did nothing. I really hope you don't get that + - light driving around this week.
Old 04-08-24, 02:14 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
I was considering a separate thread but eh I'll throw it here.....

Does anyone else have their cars feel slow after a while? I've been outright daily driving the W12 since late last year and if I'm not driving it I'm driving the 4.0 and I noticed that they are feeling slow to me? Like I know they aren't and they can absolutely leave people and even "weak" rolls away from a light or stop sign leave everyone way behind me but it just doesn't feel "right" after a few weeks.
that's part of the reason i primarily use the LS and leave the benz for like once a week fun, that way i don't get so used to the power and that first shove still comes as somewhat of a shock lol

also regarding the 460 feeling faster toward the end of the drive: i've noticed that with both of my cars that can happen, i think more than anything it's just the adaptive software 'learning' the recent driving habits and adjusting the pedal sensitivity, timing, etc...
Old 04-08-24, 02:25 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's part of the reason i primarily use the LS and leave the benz for like once a week fun, that way i don't get so used to the power and that first shove still comes as somewhat of a shock lol

also regarding the 460 feeling faster toward the end of the drive: i've noticed that with both of my cars that can happen, i think more than anything it's just the adaptive software 'learning' the recent driving habits and adjusting the pedal sensitivity, timing, etc...
Good to know it's not just me then!

The 460 is probably readapting to me since it's my wife's car now but I was referring to the irony of at first it feels broken and gutless then after a bit it felt much better. Maybe it was the customer cars I drove in between that made that occur or something.....
Old 04-08-24, 02:29 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Here is my usual towing arrangement, I mostly pick up and move cars so my load is always 7k+

The sequoia is extremely good at towing except for the small fuel tank requiring more stops

Can take over 10k if the tow rig can handle it

Air suspension is a must for towing really....it just makes it comically easy and comfortable. You get no trailer shock at all with it
Old 04-08-24, 02:41 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I had a blowout on the trailer last month. Ironically I just picked up a new trailer spare before I left. Only reason I found out because I stopped for gas. It was night time and I was traveling 70-75 around the time. I don’t know how long the tire had been flat. It was lukewarm to touch once I stopped.

I want to see how the LX tows it but when I had a U-Haul trailer and car on it, the LX didn’t like anything over 82mph. It wanted to start to sway.
It's rated for 7000lbs. But a Tundra or any 1500 is a way better tow vehicle with way higher tow rating. That said, hook my 4k lb boat up to an LX and it's a dream to tow. 5.7 has plennnnty of grunt, actually I prefer 2nd gear start to pull her out of the water.

One thing that is awesome is the AHC levels it, see below. It would level it up to the max towing capacity I would assume.

You may have to zoom in but that’s level.

Old 04-08-24, 02:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
so how did the light go away? Did they reset it
So they cleared the code and it didn't recur. No idea if they checked the output from the alternator or not, I would think that they would do that but you never know. They did a bunch of computer updates it needed but they didnt have anything in to do with the light.

They gave me a video like they always do and the guy was basically like "Gee, I dunno"

So 2 full working days, a weekend and I get "Gee, I dunno" and not even a carwash lol

Originally Posted by LH1
Hmmm....I was sure the alternator was the issue and it would get replaced.

I'm totally speculating here but I think they just cleared the code and did nothing. I really hope you don't get that + - light driving around this week.
Same here! yeah thats basically what they did. I could have done that...
Old 04-08-24, 03:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Here is the video. Doesn't fill me with confidence:

Old 04-08-24, 03:09 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Do what you want, but if you like towing at 87 mph, I just hope it's far away from me.
Old 04-08-24, 04:04 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Motorola
Surprised nobody has posted Sofyan's recent video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1-lejcM6yw
Im watching it right now. Headlights are still clear, and it looks just like SW17LS’s ES 300. My brother has a 2002 Camry in Black walnut pearl which is a very similar color to Black garnet pearl but more on the brown side.
Old 04-08-24, 05:03 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
I hear you.

I don't tow anything anymore but when I did, I wouldn't go over 70 mph.

My biggest fear was a tire or axle goes out on the trailer or someone driving stupid
Could happen at any speed. Just hope you’re able to catch it early and maintain control. Tow/drive to your level of comfort.

Originally Posted by AJT123
It's rated for 7000lbs. But a Tundra or any 1500 is a way better tow vehicle with way higher tow rating. That said, hook my 4k lb boat up to an LX and it's a dream to tow. 5.7 has plennnnty of grunt, actually I prefer 2nd gear start to pull her out of the water.

One thing that is awesome is the AHC levels it, see below. It would level it up to the max towing capacity I would assume.

You may have to zoom in but that’s level.

This is me towing the car with the LX. It surprised me. We were in the market for the new Lexus TX until I towed with the LX…LX is here to stay as backup tow rig. I believe when I was hooking up the trailer, the manual said put the suspension in the lowest setting then allow it to level itself.

Originally Posted by link13
Do what you want, but if you like towing at 87 mph, I just hope it's far away from me.
Just make sure you’re in the right lane😏.

I used to tow 3 bikes in an enclosed to the track. I asked my buddies do you want to go 60-65mph and save some gas or do you want to go ahead and get there? Their response was always “F the gas I’m ready to get to the track”

Loved their initial reaction when the DTE is showing 1 mile and I’m not even thinking about a gas station.

I remember being passed by 2 semi trucks hauling cattle or may have been empty. They were doing every bit of 90+mph. I googled them and saw some information that cops let them run because they have a certain time frame to get the cattle delivered.
Old 04-08-24, 05:11 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I have very little respect for drivers who speed

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Here is the video. Doesn't fill me with confidence:

https://youtu.be/rj0tiSg6t28
if the car hasn’t stalled at this point. Hard to do any component swaps
Old 04-08-24, 05:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would have liked to at least have heard that the alternator output etc was tested...he said he tested the battery but never said anything about the alternator.
Old 04-08-24, 05:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I would have liked to at least have heard that the alternator output etc was tested...he said he tested the battery but never said anything about the alternator.

In the very least I would have liked for that to have been done Friday...

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024