Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 05:21 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's not about the 2hp or premium requirement, again look up what I said. They don't say use 89/91 because people would and do have a stroke over putting that in "normal" cars.

If 87 was actually ideal it wouldn't be pulling timing and leaning on the knock sensors
Toyota engineers designed the UR 5.7 for 87 gasoline. They didn't change anything with the engines that went into the LX570s--that would be pointless and a total waste of money and they were literally built along side the Land Cruisers with the same exact engine installed. IDK, that's just the bottom line for me. This is a huge debate so it's not just us. I have never in all my decades on forums seen one documented speck of evidence that regular fuel has done any damage on any LX570 or 470 either for that matter.

The Yukon knocks BAD on 87, like..bad... put high test in immediately. I did when it was delivered bc it was knocking, a half tank of premium balanced it out. I'm going to de-activate the cylinder deactivation, all that crap is a joke. Yukon gets terrible gas mileage, any big BOF does. I was interested to see if it did any better than the LX, no. It's way faster so that's a plus but you will still be getting 11-12MPG lol.

I don't care but I've saved a significant amount of money fueling LX570 since I've had it only using 87.
Old 04-15-24, 05:24 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Beautiful man. How’s the upkeep on it?
Thanks. Upkeep isn’t bad because I rarely drive it because I rarely have time these days. Just oil changes and got a new battery recently which I didn’t really need but the was on original battery so better to be safe than sorry. It helps that my GTR tech left Nissan and has a lift at his house and does everything for much cheaper.
Old 04-15-24, 05:58 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Toyota engineers designed the UR 5.7 for 87 gasoline. They didn't change anything with the engines that went into the LX570s--that would be pointless and a total waste of money and they were literally built along side the Land Cruisers with the same exact engine installed. IDK, that's just the bottom line for me. This is a huge debate so it's not just us. I have never in all my decades on forums seen one documented speck of evidence that regular fuel has done any damage on any LX570 or 470 either for that matter.

The Yukon knocks BAD on 87, like..bad... put high test in immediately. I did when it was delivered bc it was knocking, a half tank of premium balanced it out. I'm going to de-activate the cylinder deactivation, all that crap is a joke. Yukon gets terrible gas mileage, any big BOF does. I was interested to see if it did any better than the LX, no. It's way faster so that's a plus but you will still be getting 11-12MPG lol.

I don't care but I've saved a significant amount of money fueling LX570 since I've had it only using 87.
Okay you refuse to listen or look anything up so I give up trying.

I don't care in the slightest what an engine is in, makes no difference to me I just care about how it functions and its requirements vs output. My sequoia gets 93 because on lesser grades it pulls timing and leans on the knock sensors and that micro detonation is on reason higher mile UR engines develop oil consumption.
Old 04-15-24, 06:00 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

糎hat does it say in the vehicle manual?
Old 04-15-24, 06:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

So Tesla has apparently upgraded several of the Superchargers along my route to WV with magic docks that accommodate non Teslas now, that has a big impact on my trip. This has me stopping twice at Tesla chargers which are at Sheets, once for 9 minutes and once for 12, these are both Superchargers at Sheetz so theres food and bathrooms, etc. This also has me arriving with 25% SoC so thats a very comfortable margin of error...

Would still need to be able to charge it at his house while I'm there...

Old 04-15-24, 06:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

I don't care in the slightest what an engine is in, makes no difference to me I just care about how it functions and its requirements vs output. My sequoia gets 93 because on lesser grades it pulls timing and leans on the knock sensors and that micro detonation is on reason higher mile UR engines develop oil consumption.
I just don't understand why in the world Toyota would engineer and/or ask for sub-par gasoline that would lead to oil consumption or problems. These things can handle crap gasoline, they roam the world.

The Sequoia asks for regular 87. Why would it need to lean on the knock sensors? I"m not refusing to listen at all. That just doesn't make logical sense to me. It doesn't say anywhere to "use premium for optimal performance" either with that truck or any 5.7 or 4.7, I just think Lexus LX asked for it for its image as a 100k flagship truck. I know you deal with tunes and stuff so yes I"m ready to listen.

Now the LX600 I would put premium in. But I'd never own one of those.
Old 04-15-24, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You池e making a lot of assumptions. Have we ever seen that the engine is totally the same, no changes at all? I don稚 think we have.
Old 04-15-24, 06:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

I just don't understand why in the world Toyota would engineer and/or ask for sub-par gasoline that would lead to oil consumption or problems. These things can handle crap gasoline, they roam the world.

The Sequoia asks for regular 87. Why would it need to lean on the knock sensors? I"m not refusing to listen at all. That just doesn't make logical sense to me. It doesn't say anywhere to "use premium for optimal performance" either with that truck or any 5.7 or 4.7, I just think Lexus LX asked for it for its image as a 100k flagship truck. I know you deal with tunes and stuff so yes I"m ready to listen.

my 4.7 definitely says use premium for optimal performance.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You池e making a lot of assumptions. Have we ever seen that the engine is totally the same, no changes at all? I don稚 think we have.
I think the LC and LX likely are identical.
Old 04-15-24, 06:36 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

You’re making a lot of assumptions. Have we ever seen that the engine is totally the same, no changes at all? I don’t think we have.
I have looked at all of the detailed specs, absolutely everything is identical. Ignition, timing, compression, everything. It's different than where there are engines that will run fine on 87 but lose perhaps a noticeable amount of horsepower. Here it's 2.

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
my 4.7 definitely says use premium for optimal performance.

@Toys4RJill your UZ V8 4R asks for 91?
Old 04-15-24, 07:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

@Toys4RJill your UZ V8 4R asks for 91?
my 4.7 says for improved performance, use 91 octane

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 04-15-24 at 07:08 PM.
Old 04-15-24, 07:32 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Log your knock value then. Tell me what you see.

Oh and how's the mid rpm high load correction table?
Old 04-15-24, 08:28 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

You should be running mid grade at least on any UR engine, they pull a hell of a lot of timing otherwise.
Wasn稚 aware. Several of my friends drive Tundras as well and I know 1 of them runs premium whenever he tows.

So I should run at least 89? I have non ethanol 91 close to me as well as 10% ethanol 93 which is everywhere.

Well if I知 supposed to be running premium, sounds like a good reason to pull the trigger on the magnuson. 💀

Are you sure? Why do you want electric? Old hydraulic feels way better to me. The Denali steers nice and fine but it doesn't have the nice road feel you get with hydraulic units, like in our LX.

The 5.7 won't. All it needs is 87. All I've put in it for three years I've owned it is 87. This mitigates the terrible gas mileage and you're not really paying all that much for gas versus V8 competitors that actually do require premium. The Denali gets about 12MPG lol costs a significant amount more to fuel. It'll knock if you don't put at least 89 in it (surprisingly). It gets premium.

The 4.6 however I would use mid grade on bc it does have a higher compression than the one in the Tundra.
Coming from a RX hybrid, the first thing I noticed is the LX steering felt heavy. It almost felt like I was driving my truck. I believe the LX 600 has electric steering. I haven稚 been in one yet. I知 not sold on that powerplant just yet.

Originally Posted by patgilm
Thanks. Upkeep isn稚 bad because I rarely drive it because I rarely have time these days. Just oil changes and got a new battery recently which I didn稚 really need but the was on original battery so better to be safe than sorry. It helps that my GTR tech left Nissan and has a lift at his house and does everything for much cheaper.
I had my eyes on a GTR 3-4yrs ago. I started googling upkeep and potential issues (transmission) and it scared me away. However I still admire them. I知 sure it痴 a coin toss trying to find a used one that hasn稚 been abused.

Our LX has only seen 93 or sometimes non ethanol 91.

So Tesla has apparently upgraded several of the Superchargers along my route to WV with magic docks that accommodate non Teslas now, that has a big impact on my trip. This has me stopping twice at Tesla chargers which are at Sheets, once for 9 minutes and once for 12, these are both Superchargers at Sheetz so theres food and bathrooms, etc. This also has me arriving with 25% SoC so thats a very comfortable margin of error...

Would still need to be able to charge it at his house while I'm there...

This is a lot of planning. How many stops would this be in an equivalent gas vehicle? I知 sure a lot less planning.

I have a 1,400 trip coming up. Last thing I知 worried about is where I知 stopping to refuel. I値l have my pick along the way.

Old 04-15-24, 08:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a lot of planning. How many stops would this be in an equivalent gas vehicle? I知 sure a lot less planning.

I have a 1,400 trip coming up. Last thing I知 worried about is where I知 stopping to refuel. I値l have my pick along the way.
I don稚 have to stop in a gas car, I get all the way there and then some on a tank. With that said I do typically stop to use the bathroom and to get something to eat.

The planning is what I am trying to avoid, the good news is there are now many options along the way so that I don稚 have to plan, it痴 more similar to a gas car. I would never drive a 1,400 mile road trip in general so that痴 not an issue for me really.

All of those blips along 81 and 64 are fast charging options available to non teslas.

Just a couple of months ago there were two options and that痴 it.

The gas car is absolutely better on a trip, but around town the EV would be better and I prefer the ride and drive of the EV, so that痴 the trade off. Just trying to decide if I can deal with the trade off.
Old 04-15-24, 09:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Wasn稚 aware. Several of my friends drive Tundras as well and I know 1 of them runs premium whenever he tows.

So I should run at least 89? I have non ethanol 91 close to me as well as 10% ethanol 93 which is everywhere.

Well if I知 supposed to be running premium, sounds like a good reason to pull the trigger on the magnuson. 💀

Coming from a RX hybrid, the first thing I noticed is the LX steering felt heavy. It almost felt like I was driving my truck. I believe the LX 600 has electric steering. I haven稚 been in one yet. I知 not sold on that powerplant just yet.

I had my eyes on a GTR 3-4yrs ago. I started googling upkeep and potential issues (transmission) and it scared me away. However I still admire them. I知 sure it痴 a coin toss trying to find a used one that hasn稚 been abused.

Our LX has only seen 93 or sometimes non ethanol 91.

The ethanol content doesn't matter past MPG and how long the fuel lasts and water saturation, the octane number is what matters in this context but obviously pure gas is superior for many reasons.

Im not sure what your truck will need, some are totally happy on 89, others want more.....I have yet to see one that is okay with 87 though. My Jag I had for a while speced 91+ even though it's "just a ford engine" but I found it was okay on 89 and didn't pull time. Reason it needed it at all over the ford engines are because the base map is different and they try and maximize midrange power and lower rpm high load pickup that will not manifest as an "advertised power" different but can amount to 30hp or more in the mid RPM due to spark advance and higher TQ lower down where lower spec fuel simply can't withstand the advance.

That's why you see a LOT of turbo engine tunes that have the same ending power but the 91 vs 93 octane gave a 50-100tq increase in the midrange/peak range. The lower spec fuel just can't handle the ignition window on hand at lower RPM and you need to pull advance until the window gets tighter up high and you can get away with it. I do some tuning with DS1 for my 4.0 so this is purely from the perspective of someone who is an amateur but does know the concepts and how to apply them to an extent.

The GTR are cool but the trans is a weak point and not as easy to rebuild as something like an R8 but it's a really cool car. A bit cheap interior wise and heavy but there are so many known ways to be insanely fast with them it's a car I respect. Not for me though due to cylinder count primarily....
Old 04-15-24, 09:13 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

1,400 miles???
Daaaang, why you want to do that to yourself. Lol

Plane or train for me and I hate flying and never been on a train. Lol

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024