Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-24, 12:38 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Color looks great! Hope the deal goes through
Old 05-02-24, 04:02 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's a very nice color!

What does the overall spec look like?
It’s a pretty simple car, has the 3D gauges, the power rear seats and the night package. The 21s are a challenge, dealers don’t like to do wheel swaps, and swapping them would be a huge PITA.

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Apparently everyone is different but I'm with you. I'm not comfortable with this color and alike. And IMO, with some dirt on, it looks really bad. Just me though.
Luckily my cars don’t stay dirty for long, they’re washed at least once a week. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a car that was a color…

Im at the dealer in Bethesda just drove another one to make sure I would be happy with it and I would be. Dealing with these car salespeople though it’s so frustrating. I know so much more about buying and financing cars it’s not even funny.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-02-24 at 04:16 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 04:08 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It’s \\\
\Luckily my cars don’t stay dirty for long, they’re washed at least once a week. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a car that was a color…
Here's the color of that brownish Escalade, it's sharp but not quite as pretty as that Merc color.
Old 05-02-24, 04:30 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

It’s a pretty simple car, has the 3D gauges, the power rear seats and the night package. The 21s are a challenge, dealers don’t like to do wheel swaps, and swapping them would be a huge PITA.

Luckily my cars don’t stay dirty for long, they’re washed at least once a week. It’s been a long time since I’ve had a car that was a color…

Im at the dealer in Bethesda just drove another one to make sure I would be happy with it and I would be. Dealing with these car salespeople though it’s so frustrating. I know so much more about buying and financing cars it’s not even funny.
Nice, I assume you asked on the Benz forum if anyone wants to swap you for 20s?
Old 05-02-24, 04:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

All the people on the Benz forum want to switch from the 21s to the 20s lol
Old 05-02-24, 04:58 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Of course theres a silver one on the showroom floor that caught my eye lol
Old 05-02-24, 05:24 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Dealing with these car salespeople though it’s so frustrating. I know so much more about buying and financing cars it’s not even funny.
That's because you know as much or more than they do, so the games don't work anymore. Lol

Time to put your boots up on the manager's desk and light cigar like Clint Eastwood!

Hey, if they want to sell a car they have to get busy.
Old 05-02-24, 05:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS​
I love how they look but I will go down to 20s (those are 21s), thats the last thing I will throw in at the end of the deal, for them to swap the 21s with 20s.
Up to a point, at least, IMHO, for a number of reasons, the smaller the wheel diameter, and the more tire sidewall you have, the better. But the wheels have to be large enough, of course, to fit adequately-sized brakes for the vehicle's weight.

Dealing with these car salespeople though it’s so frustrating. I know so much more about buying and financing cars it’s not even funny.
Problem is.....often, just when one THINKS they are an auto-buying Guru, dealerships and auto manufacturers keep coming up with different programs and tactics.

The Fitz Way (Fitzgerald dealerships in Montgomery County) is not perfect by any means, particularly in the last few years with the pandemic-shortages. But, overall, in my experience, it has been one of the better ways to shop, particularly if you live in MD, although I've also shopped there with some of my friends from VA. They are definitely more honest than a lot of other places. Perhaps the least-honest place I've seen (although this was some time ago...I can't vouch for today) was the Darcars chain in Silver Spring.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-24 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 06:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
That's because you know as much or more than they do, so the games don't work anymore. Lol

Time to put your boots up on the manager's desk and light cigar like Clint Eastwood!

Hey, if they want to sell a car they have to get busy.
It’s not even games, they just don’t know. Don’t know anything about the car, insisted you can’t trade out of a lease, etc. They didn’t try and play any games at all, just not knowledgeable. Anyways they were $1,900 on a 24 with 0 out of pocket so that’s not a bad deal actually.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Up to a point, at least, IMHO, for a number of reasons, the smaller the wheel diameter, and the more tire sidewall you have, the better. But the wheels have to be large enough, of course, to fit adequately-sized brakes for the vehicle's weight.
This car comes on 19s, 20s and 21s. The OEM 20s are no problem.

Problem is.....often, just when one THINKS they are an auto-buying Guru, dealerships and auto manufacturers keep coming up with different programs and tactics.
No, I know what I’m doing thanks…
Old 05-02-24, 08:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

No, I know what I’m doing thanks…
You never know what the future will bring, though. Who in 2019, in their right mind, would even dream of the kind of chaos and outrageous prices we would see in 2020 and 2021? It was like being in a Third World Country during a semi-famine. In fact, when I took delivery of my Encore GX (at a slight discount, in January of 2021), the very same vehicle was going for at least 5K more (and often higher than that) just a few months later. And don't even ask what dealerships wanted for Corvettes LOL.

Fortunately, we are back into at least a semi-sane world now for vehicle-buying, unless you are looking at American full-sized trucks.

This link on truck-buying has some good information, and relies on actual figures.....it appears to be more than just click-bait.

Old 05-02-24, 08:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

This car comes on 19s, 20s and 21s. The OEM 20s are no problem.

Well, I'll see you this much......Except for pothole-resistance, Mercedes can probably get away with lower-profile tires on big wheels and still have a comfortable ride, more so than most other manufacturers, because of the excellence of their suspension-designs.

I also noticed that, several years ago, on the Hyundai Genesis sedan models..before the Genesis nameplate split off to become a separate luxury division. It was surprisingly supple even with 45s.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-02-24 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-02-24, 08:14 PM
460offroad
Pit Crew

Received 124 Likes on 77 Posts
Default If you have a Toyota/Lexus OEM jack, don't throw it out!

If you have a Toyota/Lexus OEM jack, don't throw it out!

Old 05-02-24, 08:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You never know what the future will bring, though. Who in 2019, in their right mind, would even dream of the kind of chaos and outrageous prices we would see in 2020 and 2021? It was like being in a Third World Country during a semi-famine. In fact, when I took delivery of my Encore GX (at a slight discount, in January of 2021), the very same vehicle was going for at least 5K more (and often higher than that) just a few months later. And don't even ask what dealerships wanted for Corvettes LOL.
Im obviously aware of all of that.

Changing market conditions don’t negate all of the experience that somebody has. Experience is what allows you to navigate a variety of different situations.

Well, I'll see you this much......Except for pothole-resistance, Mercedes can probably get away with lower-profile tires on big wheels and still have a comfortable ride, more so than most other manufacturers, because of the excellence of their suspension-designs.
It rides incredibly well on the 20inch wheels with run flats aired over 42PSI…
Old 05-02-24, 09:12 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

As soon as I saw Billy's car posted I had the same thought, wondering if he was still with us. Sorry to hear that...he lived a good life though and he certainly had no doubts about where he was going.

I totally disagree. Pull up somewhere in an LC or an RC-F and see what attention difference there is, most people won't give the RC-F a second look.

Working a deal on this S580...we'll see how it goes. its a 2023 leftover and the lease support is really good, if the numbers work out it should be less than what I am paying. I love the 7 but there isnt anything on the ground that I like, and ordering would be 4-6 months...

$10k lease cash and another $10.7K for AMEX cardholders plus the discount for it being a leftover should equal $30k+ off...

😤😤😤 Love the color. Reminds me of the black rose C7

Old 05-02-24, 09:14 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
😤😤😤 Love the color. Reminds me of the black rose C7
The chrome wheels are killing it!
Nice.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024