Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-24, 08:08 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Has globs of torque. Pumped 29.66 gallons on slow setting 2nd click

Old 05-05-24, 08:37 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Drove a 2006 Prius today for a friend. First time ever driving a Prius. Definitely not a car that moves very quickly. Very loud 4 cylinder engine.
Old 05-05-24, 08:57 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Drove a 2006 Prius today for a friend. First time ever driving a Prius. Definitely not a car that moves very quickly. Very loud 4 cylinder engine.

Not having driven a recent Prius model, I can't comment on them. But, yes, I agree, starting up from a stop in one of the earlier ones was like a typical 90-year-old trying to get up out of a chair. As far as noise is concerned, obviously it is not a factor if or when the car is running solely on the electrics, and Toyota, unless things have changed very recently, is not known for building noisy-running fours. In fact, Toyota and Honda, in the 1990s, set the industry standard for refinement and technology in 4-cylinder powerplants.
Old 05-06-24, 12:34 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I'm willing to attribute some of the noise to the fact that it's an 18 year old car with 250k miles on it, so you're going to have some warn out bushings and what not that allow more NVH to penetrate through to the cabin. Regardless because it's a 4 banger, it sounds very much like a 4 banger and it is definitely loud when you're trying to accelerate. I'm sure the newer ones are much quieter. As for me and my wallet, i'll eat the fuel costs and drive something more comfortable and powerful. Give me a V8 or turbocharged straight-6 any day. I'm spoiled by being able to immediately reach highway speeds when getting on the freeway.

Old 05-06-24, 06:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I'm willing to attribute some of the noise to the fact that it's an 18 year old car with 250k miles on it, so you're going to have some warn out bushings and what not that allow more NVH to penetrate through to the cabin. Regardless because it's a 4 banger, it sounds very much like a 4 banger and it is definitely loud when you're trying to accelerate. I'm sure the newer ones are much quieter. As for me and my wallet, i'll eat the fuel costs and drive something more comfortable and powerful. Give me a V8 or turbocharged straight-6 any day. I'm spoiled by being able to immediately reach highway speeds when getting on the freeway.

As you note, I'm not sure the latest Toyota fours are all that much quieter. The ones from the 1990s ran like a sewing machine (me and my family had more than one of them)......those from Honda even quieter. Of course, that was before cost-cutting set in with many Toyota designs.

I respect your view about wanting to get up to high cruise-speeds almost immediately...but, with my own driving style, and the design of local Interstate entrance-ramps here, I don't NEED to accelerate like a rocket.

Last edited by mmarshall; 05-06-24 at 06:14 AM.
Old 05-06-24, 06:42 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Spent some backseat time in a newish (rental) X6 last week and I wasn't that impressed. The vehicle itself was fine, plenty of power, handled well, and actually got pretty decent MPG (high 20s, lots of highway). Getting into and out of the backseat was a pain. The driver was average height (5'10), but leg room was limited and with the roof shape, getting in and out was a pain. I ended up just putting my back on the door frame and sliding out that way vs. pivoting in the seat and turning out if that makes sense.

Also did a longer ride in a new Escalade and it was great! Very comfortable ride and tons of space. Interior was nice too
Old 05-06-24, 09:16 AM
1111GS

Received 91 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
Spent some backseat time in a newish (rental) X6 last week and I wasn't that impressed. The vehicle itself was fine, plenty of power, handled well, and actually got pretty decent MPG (high 20s, lots of highway). Getting into and out of the backseat was a pain. The driver was average height (5'10), but leg room was limited and with the roof shape, getting in and out was a pain. I ended up just putting my back on the door frame and sliding out that way vs. pivoting in the seat and turning out if that makes sense.

Also did a longer ride in a new Escalade and it was great! Very comfortable ride and tons of space. Interior was nice too
Yeah X5/X6's rear space is the worst in this class. MY even has more space. If my wife hates it, I wouldn't think you would like it. Other than that it's a nice vehicle, plenty of power, comfort, luxury (enough) and good MPG for its size.
Old 05-06-24, 09:51 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 366 Likes on 251 Posts

I rode in a buddy's brand new Tundra last week and it was AWESOME. Rode very nice, thought the interior was well laid out, overall a really impressive vehicle. Huge moonroof, great visibility. He has it in that cool Lunar Rock color with black interior. It looks amazing. Well executed by Toyota IMO.
Old 05-06-24, 10:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

No, it was loud when it was brand new. It just lacks any sound deadening.
Old 05-06-24, 11:19 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

@Striker223 Congrats!!
Old 05-06-24, 12:32 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
I rode in a buddy's brand new Tundra last week and it was AWESOME. Rode very nice, thought the interior was well laid out, overall a really impressive vehicle. Huge moonroof, great visibility. He has it in that cool Lunar Rock color with black interior. It looks amazing. Well executed by Toyota IMO.
What did you think about the engine sound? It’s quick for sure!!
Old 05-06-24, 01:19 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
How's the motor feel versus the old V8?

Old 05-06-24, 03:01 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Yeah I'm done screwing around with these guys lol.

On another car, thats a leftover 2023 AND a demo in Texas, the most they will come off MSRP is $2,000 before rebates. I was just on the phone with the guy and his sales manager and I literally said "I just don't see how you can tell me with a straight face that you have 35 2024 S Classes on your lot and the best you can do on a leftover 2023 thats a DEMO is $2,500 off MSRP before rebates. "I understand where you are coming from"...

So, I'm keeping what I've got.
Old 05-06-24, 04:26 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by AJT123
How's the motor feel versus the old V8?
Globs of torque!! It pulls!! But sounds anemic!!

I put 1,346 miles towing on it over the weekend.
Old 05-06-24, 06:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No, it was loud when it was brand new. It just lacks any sound deadening.
Honestly most 4 cyl engines are in cheap or "fun" cars to begin with so the former just don't have proper NVH control on top of a really not great inherent architecture.

Fun cars like an S2K, Lotus, Miata, ST, etc etc have intentionally designed tones that are loud for effect and entertainment. ITBs sound good on a 4 and I have a thing for the sound of a flat 4 for some reason...

Mainstream 4s are just meh, rattly unbalanced messes with no power overlap and "eh" intake/exhaust pulse interactions. No appeal whatsoever and I've never owned one and never will unless it's a pair of them joined at the crank.

Cheap V6s at least usually stay "quiet" under 3k or so and mostly don't annoy I guess, the ones from mainstream brands just bore you to death though. The Jag I used to own with even a small and powerless 2.5L 190hp engine at least sounded really nice to rev out but most V6s are just appliance tier items.

The Toyota 3.5/4.0 is actually not bad and I think one of the best of the generation since it actually tried to replicate the lazy V8 low end power. The GM 3.6 and FCA 3.6 both have nothing going on down low and the Chrysler gives you so much in the first 1/4 throttle it's shocking when you press the rest of the way to realize that's it!

Nissan has a nice V6 but it's very rev happy and violent, I like it though and it's fun to beat the hell out of

Last edited by Striker223; 05-06-24 at 06:41 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024