Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-24, 09:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
The low sales-level of the LS may not necessarily be because of comparison to an S-Class. The market for large/luxury sedans in the U.S. has been going downhill for years. That's why the Kia K-900, Cadenza, Hyundai Azera, Toyota Avalon, Chevy Impala, Buick Lacrosse, Lincoln Continental, Cadillac CT6, and others like them are no longer available...and why the Chrysler 300's days are also probably numbered. How long the Genesis G90 and G80 sedans will be available in the U.S. is also an interesting question.
It’s because the casual sedan fans have moved on to crossovers, and those of us who are left are die hards and we buy the best ones. Leaves cars like the LS and the G90 for example that don’t excel at anything in a rough spot.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
haha, is more attention important to you? saw you also mentioned you didn't prefer white next time because people won't know you got a new car.
As I have said before anybody who buys a full sized $100k+ luxury sedan who tells you they don’t care about public perception on any level is lying to you. Prestige is absolutely part of it.

My comment about other people not realizing I got a new car doesn’t have anything to do with caring what they think,‘it’s a comment that replacing something with something new that looks just like what you replaced is kind of silly.

i'm always caught by surpise when anyone looks at my car. i was getting in my lc the other day at a medical facility and this guy was walking into the parking lot and yelled "is that yours?" i said yes. and he said "that's bad ***, man!" i got a good laugh over that.
Well, you did buy one of the flashiest cars one can buy under $150k lol

No need to laugh at the guy, just be gracious and say thank you.

ha, well you're not really considering it. basically wasting his time.
Didnt say that I wasn’t considering it at all, if the numbers were really compelling I would consider it.

The guy has sold at least 7 cars off of me too, he’s doing fine. In sales we do things for old customers all the time that may or may not result in business. Part of the job.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I care a lot about styling. And the new S class I haven’t warmed up to it yet. I’m still stuck on the W221. The W223 It just looks so bland and watered down to me. And the interior with the glossy black plastic and no ***** and buttons wouldn’t appeal to me. I think I’d rather have a late SWB LS 460 over both of them. My Lexus dealer has a nice 2017 in stock. So many things I like better on it….
I don’t buy cars for looks. I want them to look attractive to me, but I buy a big car like this for how it drives and how comfortable it is. It’s not the kind of car you sacrifice those things for looks…

I also don’t dwell on older versions of cars. I don’t drive or buy older cars so what a car may have looked at in a previous version doesn’t mean anything to me. I liked my 2017 LS a lot but I would never go back to it
Old 05-17-24, 09:32 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

435k mile. Interior was flawless. A true gem
It looks clean.

If it really has 435k miles, they must've restored the interior.

Should be a beater by the time it hits that mileage.
Old 05-17-24, 11:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah, both my 92 LS400 and my parents' 91 LS400 looked pretty beat-up inside in the low 100k mile range 10-15 years ago.

At a minimum the seats would have had to be redone somewhere in that 435k. That's a lot of *** in seat time.
Old 05-18-24, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Yeah, both my 92 LS400 and my parents' 91 LS400 looked pretty beat-up inside in the low 100k mile range 10-15 years ago.

At a minimum the seats would have had to be redone somewhere in that 435k. That's a lot of *** in seat time.
It all has to do with how you take care of the car. I could absolutely keep an interior in great shape for that long.
Old 05-18-24, 08:23 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
As I have said before anybody who buys a full sized $100k+ luxury sedan who tells you they don’t care about public perception on any level is lying to you. Prestige is absolutely part of it.
My comment about other people not realizing I got a new car doesn’t have anything to do with caring what they think,‘it’s a comment that replacing something with something new that looks just like what you replaced is kind of silly.
Well, you did buy one of the flashiest cars one can buy under $150k lol
Didnt say that I wasn’t considering it at all, if the numbers were really compelling I would consider it.
The guy has sold at least 7 cars off of me too, he’s doing fine. In sales we do things for old customers all the time that may or may not result in business. Part of the job.
I don’t buy cars for looks. I want them to look attractive to me, but I buy a big car like this for how it drives and how comfortable it is. It’s not the kind of car you sacrifice those things for looks…
I also don’t dwell on older versions of cars. I don’t drive or buy older cars so what a car may have looked at in a previous version doesn’t mean anything to me. I liked my 2017 LS a lot but I would never go back to it
So many valid common sense points here. I would have given you a "Like" if we had that option here.
Originally Posted by Carfan94
I care a lot about styling. And the new S class I haven’t warmed up to it yet. I’m still stuck on the W221. The W223 It just looks so bland and watered down to me. And the interior with the glossy black plastic and no ***** and buttons wouldn’t appeal to me. I think I’d rather have a late SWB LS 460 over both of them. My Lexus dealer has a nice 2017 in stock. So many things I like better on it….
It took me a while but I think a year or so ago it grew onto me without me knowing. I always thought the new one looked odd, but not anymore. The previous one now looks dated IMO. Most if not all S models look nice, by far the best looking sedan. Somehow the latest always stands out.
Old 05-18-24, 08:29 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

i agree!

replacing something with something new that looks just like what you replaced is kind of silly.
i don't see it that way. obviously the newer one is newer and has newer features, even if the unaware see it and the prior as the 'same'. and in the lc forum here you'll see plenty of people who have traded in one year lc for a newer one.

not sure why you often see the worst in my comments, i wasn't laughing AT the guy at all, just his comment was amusing in a good way... we both had a laugh.

I don’t buy cars for looks.
mmkay... lol.
Old 05-18-24, 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I love the way the 223 looks, I also love my 222, but it is starting to feel a little dated in places. I still don't like the interior layout as much as mine, but it is what it is.
Old 05-18-24, 08:33 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
If these are city miles, it's more like a million *** miles in the seat. Haha

It all has to do with how you take care of the car. I could absolutely keep an interior in great shape for that long.
Only if... Haha
You buy new every 3 years friend.

You must be hypothetically speaking is my guess. 🛸. 🤓

Originally Posted by 1111GS
The previous one now looks dated IMO...
As I get older, what looks dated still looks new to me. Lol
Old 05-18-24, 08:33 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i don't see it that way. obviously the newer one is newer and has newer features, even if the unaware see it and the prior as the 'same'. and in the lc forum here you'll see plenty of people who have traded in one year lc for a newer one.
All of that is true, I just don't want the same color twice in a row really because it won't feel as different. I'm not talking about replacing the car with the newer one I'm talking about the color.

mmkay... lol.
mmmkay what? Looks are not the #1 thing for me, doesn't mean I don't care what a car looks like. I'm just not going to buy a car that isn't as good as another car just because I like its looks better.

Hence the 7 vs the S Class, I like the looks of the S Class better but thats not what made the decision between the two for me.
Old 05-18-24, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Margate330
Only if... Haha
You buy new every 3 years friend.

You must be hypothetically speaking is my guess. 🛸. 🤓
I haven't always done that. I have owned multiple cars to over 200,000 miles. I just recently posted pictures about my 2003 ES which we still have with over 215,000 miles on it, my mother drives it. Look at the interior:

My Ford Explorer had 225,000 miles on it and the interior was also perfect. LS400 had 165,000 miles on it and the interior was perfect.
Old 05-18-24, 08:43 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

I should know this by now lol, but you're keeping the S560 for 6 more months and then re-evaluating?

The S Class is so good, I don't think there's anything out there to make you change.

Old 05-18-24, 08:45 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't always done that. I have owned multiple cars to over 200,000 miles. I just recently posted pictures about my 2003 ES which we still have with over 215,000 miles on it, my mother drives it. Look at the interior:

Ok, that's impressive.

​​​​​​Still looks good.
Old 05-18-24, 08:51 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Well, at the risk of sounding like a broken phonograph record, except for some engine/transmission ECU control-quirks (and the oil-sludging in the ES300 version if you got lax with oil changes), that generation of ES was, IMO, the best one ever built. It definitely had the nicest interior.
Old 05-18-24, 09:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LH1
I should know this by now lol, but you're keeping the S560 for 6 more months and then re-evaluating?

The S Class is so good, I don't think there's anything out there to make you change.
I still don’t know lol. I got an email today from my local dealer offering me $52k for mine, it was an automated email which is funny. If they would offer me $52k for mine then I could trade it now.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, at the risk of sounding like a broken phonograph record, except for some engine/transmission ECU control-quirks (and the oil-sludging in the ES300 version if you got lax with oil changes), that generation of ES was, IMO, the best one ever built. It definitely had the nicest interior.
No oil slugging in 4ESs, that’s a 3ES issue. No doubt it’s a good one. I have gotten my $39,000 out of that car without a doubt
Old 05-18-24, 09:35 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I still don’t know lol. I got an email today from my local dealer offering me $52k for mine, it was an automated email which is funny. If they would offer me $52k for mine then I could trade it now.

No oil slugging in 4ESs, that’s a 3ES issue. No doubt it’s a good one. I have gotten my $39,000 out of that car without a doubt

The 4Gen ES came in both ES300 and ES330 versions, depending on the size of the V6. The shift to the 3.3L V6 (ES330) came in 2004....still within the same-generation vehicle.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1