Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-24, 07:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

I've only ever had one car without leather in my life and that's my old Jeep, it held up crazy well though. Heck, even up to the point I was 16/17 I didn't even know cloth was possible, first time I saw it in my friends first car I was asking him what the seats were made of since I didn't recognize it!
Old 05-22-24, 07:42 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So I think I can handle a dark colored car. I did a rinseless wash in the garage tonight, took about 45 minutes…I think I can handle that!

Cloth seats feel hot to me, and I don’t like being gripped when I’m trying to move around etc.
Leather seats without cool/ventilation feel hot especially in the summer. I prefer cloth over leather without cool/ventilation. Unless I have the “crouch cooler” air vent like I had on my 3rd gen 4runner that had leather seats.
Old 05-22-24, 07:55 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
That's wool, but I agree. That doesn't even look that inviting.

Leather, pronto.
DIdn't see that coming

Only experience I have with wool are sweaters my mom made us wear when we were kids and they were itchy as hell.

Had no idea they made car seats with it. Haha
Old 05-22-24, 08:05 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

I prefer cloth over leather.
Old 05-22-24, 09:06 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Leather seats without cool/ventilation feel hot especially in the summer. I prefer cloth over leather without cool/ventilation. Unless I have the “crouch cooler” air vent like I had on my 3rd gen 4runner that had leather seats.
Even without ventilation I just don’t like the grabbiness of cloth.

One thing I love about my S Class is the IR rejecting glass. When it sits out in the sun it never gets incredibly hot. I have the windows ceramic tinted on top of the IR rejecting glass.

One thing I noticed in the 7 Series is I missed that, they were so hot inside and they never really cooled down the whole test drives. The little slit vents don’t process a large volume of air. The AC in the S560 is incredible.
Old 05-22-24, 09:32 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

So far the AC works well in my 540i, though I did learn that they are known for blowing weaker than ideal in the summer when I was shopping last year. I test drove one on the hottest day of July(it was around 118-120 outside) and made sure they didn't start the car or park it in the shade first. It was black on black and it was miserable for the first 5-10 minutes. I had it for 30 minutes and I do feel that it inevitably cooled the car down, but without the ventilated seats my back was pretty damp. I'm hoping I've avoided that with a white on white car and ventilated seats. It gets parked in the garage at home, but at work it's uncovered. If it gets bad, I'll just make the truck my June-Aug daily.

Old 05-23-24, 05:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I like leather/faux leather better than old school cloth but I do like the newer alcantara style seats in the middle part of the seats with leather on the bolsters better than full leather if available. I really liked that type of seat in my SRT Durango and the ventilated seats were the best I’ve had.
Old 05-23-24, 06:13 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Lol I sit in 4MPH traffic all the time in my convertible.
wear a hat!

We keep our house at 65 degrees, we get hot easily.
dang that's way too cold for me! my variable speed a/c runs more often at lower speeds (silent) than single speed systems, which is wonderful because it keeps the temp and humidity very consistent.

Originally Posted by Margate330
If traffic ever gets that bad here, I'm moving to the desert or deep country.
just because it's covered in concrete and asphalt, LA *is* still the desert.

I’m the same way. I like it COLD. My wife complains all the time that the house is always freezing inside.
nice that you're so accommodating.

Originally Posted by patgilm
I like leather/faux leather better than old school cloth but I do like the newer alcantara style seats in the middle part of the seats with leather on the bolsters better than full leather if available. I really liked that type of seat in my SRT Durango and the ventilated seats were the best I’ve had.
yes, my lc500 has alcantara in the center (sport seats vs. touring). really great.

i have no interest in full cloth seats, but the new fake leathers are amazing. there's NO need for leather anymore except for bragging rights.
Old 05-23-24, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

For some reason she never turns up the thermostat lol

I wouldn’t say there is no need for leather. The new synthetic leathers are excellent, but I still appreciate the real thing in something that’s very nice. Seats in the family car? Bring on the synthetic leather. Furniture in my house in high use areas? Synthetic leather. A leather jacket or wallet or the seats in my high end luxury car? I want real leather.
Old 05-23-24, 06:42 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cloth seats feel hot to me, and I don’t like being gripped when I’m trying to move around etc.
That’s because no one’s done ventilated cloth seats yet!

Cloth seats still feel more comfortable than NON-perforated leather seats, which my first two cars had, always hot and miserable in the 100 degrees summer. The perforated seats in my 3GS feel much more comfortable, even without the ventilation fan on. I like the grippy feeling of cloth, that’s why sporty cars have suede. Prevents you from sliding around during spirited driving.

My Black car has a tan interior, even with tinted windows and a sunshade, the AC has to be on max fan speed for a good 15-20 minutes before the car is truly cool inside here in Tennessee. There’s no way I could own a black car in Vegas!
Old 05-23-24, 07:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
My Black car has a tan interior, even with tinted windows and a sunshade, the AC has to be on max fan speed for a good 15-20 minutes before the car is truly cool inside here in Tennessee. There’s no way I could own a black car in Vegas!
remote start / cooling for the win.
Old 05-23-24, 07:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I just don’t agree, I don’t like cloth seats at all
Old 05-23-24, 10:37 AM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

i'm in agreement about the grabbiness of cloth, i like being able to sliiiiiiiiide into the seat without having to readjust my pants right after lol

don't think i've ever actually sat in a wool seat though maybe it's not as bad
Old 05-23-24, 11:19 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Sure leather allows some slide but if the seat is well designed it can still hold you well, even better if it's air adjusted and the belt is also active.

Freaks people out though when you get moving and they feel the belt measure where they are lol!
Old 05-23-24, 11:24 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i'm in agreement about the grabbiness of cloth, i like being able to sliiiiiiiiide into the seat without having to readjust my pants right after lol

don't think i've ever actually sat in a wool seat though maybe it's not as bad
Leather
Vinyl
Cloth

In that order. 😁
#wool_is_for_sheep

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1