Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-24, 11:30 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
remote start / cooling for the win.

Another feature I'm missing out on because the Euros were really weird about it until very recently.
Old 05-23-24, 11:43 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Not for any normal or even spirited driving on public roads(unless you’re insane), but while I was riding as a passenger in an AMG GTR driven by an AMG driving school instructor giving us a demonstration on a racetrack, my butt actually slided like it had never before during the fast corners even with the Dynamica/alcantara seats, so they are a must for cars that are meant to be tracked.
Old 05-23-24, 12:42 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
Not for any normal or even spirited driving on public roads(unless you’re insane), but while I was riding as a passenger in an AMG GTR driven by an AMG driving school instructor giving us a demonstration on a racetrack, my butt actually slided like it had never before during the fast corners even with the Dynamica/alcantara seats, so they are a must for cars that are meant to be tracked.
A shot of Armorall on the seats and wipe off with clean rag will cure that.

Slide, slide, slippidy slide..."

Old 05-23-24, 01:34 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

LOL nice pull. I got the AE86 out of shape accidentally a couple times and I doubt I could have saved it if I was sliding around in the seat. I did have a joyous afternoon on a Sunday when a hailstorm hit. There was an empty parking lot and I couldn’t resist. I slid the Rolla around long enough to snap the speedometer cable and I was headed North when I saw the two police units arrive to investigate. Please note that this all happened 30 years ago. I wouldn’t do it again today.
Old 05-23-24, 02:14 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

#wool_is_for_sheep
Don’t shoot me. Just having some fun with ya

Old 05-23-24, 05:53 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
That’s because no one’s done ventilated cloth seats yet!
As I mentioned before, my SRT Durango had ventilated cloth seats and the ventilation was the best I’ve had so far because from what I understand the seats actually pull air vs push air out of the holes.

What’s interesting is the Cayenne I am looking to build offers alcantara seats but if you opt for those you can’t get them ventilated, only with leather. Because of that my wife wants leather.
Old 05-23-24, 07:23 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
LOL nice pull. I got the AE86 out of shape accidentally a couple times and I doubt I could have saved it if I was sliding around in the seat. I did have a joyous afternoon on a Sunday when a hailstorm hit. There was an empty parking lot and I couldn’t resist. I slid the Rolla around long enough to snap the speedometer cable and I was headed North when I saw the two police units arrive to investigate. Please note that this all happened 30 years ago. I wouldn’t do it again today.
Things were different back then. Lol

Ok, yeah I'm weird
​​​​​​I actually do Armorall my seats because I like that satin shine.

But, I also don't drive fast around turns these days but If I did... I'd be sliding too lol

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Don’t shoot me. Just having some fun with ya

How could you do that to me?!?

Now I can never un-see that! Haha

Originally Posted by patgilm
What’s interesting is the Cayenne I am looking to build offers alcantara seats but if you opt for those you can’t get them ventilated, only with leather. Because of that my wife wants leather.
She needs to trust you to spec out the car, it's the right thing to do.

As a Club Lexus member you're more qualified to make these decisions, especially on the colors and trim.

I have your back friend. Lol 😂
Old 05-23-24, 07:42 PM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As I mentioned before, my SRT Durango had ventilated cloth seats and the ventilation was the best I’ve had so far because from what I understand the seats actually pull air vs push air out of the holes.

I agree with your wife. Ventilated leather > Cloth.
Old 05-24-24, 03:31 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Things were different back then. Lol

Ok, yeah I'm weird
​​​​​​I actually do Armorall my seats because I like that satin shine.

But, I also don't drive fast around turns these days but If I did... I'd be sliding too lol

How could you do that to me?!?

Now I can never un-see that! Haha

She needs to trust you to spec out the car, it's the right thing to do.

As a Club Lexus member you're more qualified to make these decisions, especially on the colors and trim.

I have your back friend. Lol 😂
LOL the good thing is we agree on most everything so far including color. There are a couple things I may be open to like red interior which we had in our old IS but for whatever reason she doesn’t care for red interior outside of the Rioja red in the IS. We both like black interior so that usually wins out. The rest of the options is usually my call with some input from her.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I agree with your wife. Ventilated leather > Cloth.
The seats are the hardest thing that we are struggling with. I don’t care about ventilated seats because I rarely use them and I don’t like the “wet” feeling of them unless it’s really hot out so I would choose alcantara over ventilated seats if it were me.

The hardest part is choosing the 18 way sport seats vs the 14 way regular seats. The 18 way sport seats have more pronounced bolsters both on the upper and lower portions of the seat which are adjustable to get a nice tight fit but the lower bolsters wear a little more because getting in and out is a little tougher. The other thing is you can’t get massaging seats with the sport seats. We sat in both and it’s hard to pick.
Old 05-24-24, 06:57 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

That's hard for sure, I like sport bolstering but as you mentioned it can be annoying to move around when getting in and out. I've been severely spoiled by my current cars since the deflate the bolster to zero when you open the door so there is no drawback other than fear of an air leak at some point.
Old 05-25-24, 07:36 AM
Carfan94
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

LOL the good thing is we agree on most everything so far including color. There are a couple things I may be open to like red interior which we had in our old IS but for whatever reason she doesn’t care for red interior outside of the Rioja red in the IS. We both like black interior so that usually wins out. The rest of the options is usually my call with some input from her.

The seats are the hardest thing that we are struggling with. I don’t care about ventilated seats because I rarely use them and I don’t like the “wet” feeling of them unless it’s really hot out so I would choose alcantara over ventilated seats if it were me.

If I were specing one out I’d get the Mojave beige ventilated leather seats. But the night green interior looks tempting.
Old 05-25-24, 04:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Jeep needed oil changed, I have a partial case of filters for it but didn't feel like using the shop tanks of oil so I used an assortment of random quarts and a larger partial container. I think it maths out to a heavy 40 weight and that works, I'm going to miss this car when I finally get rid of it since I'm fairly sure nothing else will tolerate cathartic abuse!

Yee ole junk box

Some oil from the last LS460 change, a quart from a VW, two from an Aston, and two random bottles of conventional is the blend for this next 5000 miles. Last time was surplus diesel oils and a quart of bike oil
Old 05-25-24, 05:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Jeep needed oil changed, I have a partial case of filters for it but didn't feel like using the shop tanks of oil so I used an assortment of random quarts and a larger partial container. I think it maths out to a heavy 40 weight and that works,

40 weight might not be a bad idea if that Jeep's engine has a lot of miles on it and/or worn rings, bearings, and valves. The heavier weight oil will not flow through the worn-spaces as quickly or be burned up, and will help minimize oil-use. That's why the special high-mileage oils tend to be of higher viscosity than is required when the engine is new.

Old 05-25-24, 09:22 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Finally got around to installing the new rear brake pads on my truck. Bought them in February and had them just sitting around until I got the motivation to do it. Might be my last home brake job, that was a back breaker. The caliper bolts did NOT want to come out. Took a lot of penetrating oil, a hammer, and an impact to get them loose. Neighbor's kids learned some fancy new words. The new floor jack I bought turned out to be a total waste of money. You can't lower it without raising the handle all the way to the upright position....which is impossible to do when it's under the truck lifting the rear axle up. Do not buy the Rengue 3-ton low-profile dual piston jack on Amazon. Ended up having to use the old scissor jack and hating every moment of it. Got some blisters from all the turns.

Anyways, after much stress and anger, the new pads are on. Got 108,000 miles out of the originals. Hope these ones last a long time.
Old 05-25-24, 09:24 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts
Default Saw this right hand drive Toyota Crown Athlete this afternoon .....

Saw another white one a couple months ago, didn't have cell phone camera handy .....

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024