Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24, 01:24 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the EQS is a complete one trick pony though when it comes to acceleration, the faster you're going the less impressive the acceleration feels... whereas with the V8TT it becomes more alive as you speed up and just keeps pushing you with an unrelenting wave of torque, the "fun" part of the EV is basically done by the time you're up to highway speeds
most people don't drive like you and striker at 2x LEGAL speeds.

Originally Posted by Striker223
Lol, so you posted an already slower time to 60 to prove what exactly?
that your post saying it's 'way, way, way slower' (0.3 seconds) was way, way, way exaggerated.

What's the 0-100? There is no contest between them
not important to 99% of u.s. drivers. eqs models are plenty fast.

I've driven an EQS, it's not an S class by any measure. Far more head motions, body shudder, roll, and lack of locking in at speed. It's sales figures reflect all that
i've been referring to the suv, not the sedan. it's wonderful to drive, but of course that's my subjective opinion (as is yours).

]
Got my tint redone, went 3M ceramic. Stuff the car came with had some scratches I hated so perfect excuse to update. Dad had the rover done as well
goodness, how dark is that tint? 1%?
Old 05-28-24, 01:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

when i watch reviews of tesla plaids (S/X) the driver's often mention the passengers get sick on full launches. and when more rational reviewers compare the plaid to the regular models they typically concede the regular models are still plenty fast and that the plaid is just for people who like straight line bullet speed.

as for all the talk about fossil burners beating ev's and that ev's aren't fast over 100... check this out...

tl;dr model s plaid crushes 911 turbo s and an 1100 hp nissan gtr.

Old 05-28-24, 01:34 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

A guy I know had transmission issues with his F-150 with the 10-speed. It sat at Ford for months before they would even look at it to determine if he was eligible for warranty coverage and a Ford provided loaner. Infuriating for him.

Old 05-28-24, 01:39 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 240 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
when i watch reviews of tesla plaids (S/X) the driver's often mention the passengers get sick on full launches. and when more rational reviewers compare the plaid to the regular models they typically concede the regular models are still plenty fast and that the plaid is just for people who like straight line bullet speed.

as for all the talk about fossil burners beating ev's and that ev's aren't fast over 100... check this out...

tl;dr model s plaid crushes 911 turbo s and an 1100 hp nissan gtr.
oh yea the plaid is something else... it's maybe the first EV i've ever gotten properly excited over where it literally keeps pulling and pulling
Old 05-28-24, 01:41 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

tl;dr model s plaid crushes 911 turbo s and an 1100 hp nissan gtr

Old 05-28-24, 01:43 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Old 05-28-24, 01:45 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
A guy I know had transmission issues with his F-150 with the 10-speed. It sat at Ford for months before they would even look at it to determine if he was eligible for warranty coverage and a Ford provided loaner. Infuriating for him.
Is this a common issue? I recently told my neighbor to check out the coyote F150. They have 1.9% financing going right now as well.

oh yea the plaid is something else... it's maybe the first EV i've ever gotten properly excited over where it literally keeps pulling and pulling
Plaid is definitely fast!! It’s not unbeatable. Takes a pretty darn fast gas car to beat it.
Old 05-28-24, 01:50 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

most people don't drive like you and striker at 2x LEGAL speeds.

that your post saying it's 'way, way, way slower' (0.3 seconds) was way, way, way exaggerated.

not important to 99% of u.s. drivers. eqs models are plenty fast.

i've been referring to the suv, not the sedan. it's wonderful to drive, but of course that's my subjective opinion (as is yours).

goodness, how dark is that tint? 1%?
Actually like 40/50%, I don't like it too dark. I just have them match the factory rear glass so whatever that is is what the front ended up, it's a pain when too dark since you can't see.
Old 05-28-24, 01:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Is this a common issue? I recently told my neighbor to check out the coyote F150. They have 1.9% financing going right now as well.

Plaid is definitely fast!! It’s not unbeatable. Takes a pretty darn fast gas car to beat it.
Oh link the supercharged 10 speed F150s! Stock internals and hilariously fast!

Any B58 will smack a plaid around with a moderate effort build
Old 05-28-24, 01:56 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
So I am enjoying the GLS as I get used to it. The base Burmester audio is terrible, the base Burmester in my S560 is much better, which isn't saying much. Would have to get the 3D upgrade. One thing I love is this beautiful open pore, matte wood trim:

Its hard to tell in the photos, but that lid that covers the cupholders those slats are solid wood, they aren't a veneer:

Also love the cooled cupholders. No clue why thats a feature not available on the S Class. BMW and Mercedes both seem to think only SUV customers like cooled and heated cupholders...
That interior is very beautiful. I like it better than the W223 interior But not the W222.

I guess they have the German mentality that S class owners are serious drivers not concerned about such gimmicks as heated and cooled cup holders.

actually i'm pretty sure you were the first person i've seen use the mouse analogy lmao... it's since become my go to for describing the EQS looks
Well it was SW17LS who said it looks like a computer mouse first. Someone on Reddit called it a slug.
Old 05-28-24, 02:06 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Nearly all the nice cars in my family are in one place for once, took a picture of them before wash time.

Last edited by Striker223; 05-28-24 at 03:01 PM.
Old 05-28-24, 02:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
They have had some issues with the 10 speed. I've heard, but don't quote me on this, that it's been resolved on 22+ models. You'd definitely want to research it before dropping $60k on on. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the 4th gen Coyote in the current F-150. 3rd gens from 18-20 had some oil consumption and ticking issues, but nothing catastrophic as I understand it. The current ones have cylinder deactivation so time will tell how reliable they are.

My 2015 coyote is only now having it's first running hiccups. Bit of a rough idle/stumble when warmed up. Probably needs a VCT solenoid replacement which can be a few hundred. It's 9 years old with 108k on it.
Old 05-28-24, 05:11 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I guess they have the German mentality that S class owners are serious drivers not concerned about such gimmicks as heated and cooled cup holders.
They seem to think we like all other kinds of gimmicks!.[/QUOTE]

That interior is very beautiful. I like it better than the W223 interior But not the W222.

Issue is there are some quality issues. Lower doors are all hard plastic, the sunvisors are that hard vinyl. The non-nappa leather is crappy, and the only way to get nappa leather is to accept a black interior. Even with the upgrade leather upper and stitched lower dash, the lower door panels stay hard plastic.

One annoying thing MB did which makes no sense to me is they switched the position of their heated and cooled seat buttons, so my muscle memory to turn the vented seats on results in my *** being burned on a 90 degree day!

My car:

W223:

GLS:

Took my daughter out to dinner and driving back I thought to myself "man, these mb tex seats really do get hot and sweaty". No, my seat heater was on.
Old 05-28-24, 05:24 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
They seem to think we like all other kinds of gimmicks!.

Issue is there are some quality issues. Lower doors are all hard plastic, the sunvisors are that hard vinyl. The non-nappa leather is crappy, and the only way to get nappa leather is to accept a black interior. Even with the upgrade leather upper and stitched lower dash, the lower door panels stay hard plastic.
Oh yes those hard rough vinyl sunvisors! Mercedes has been using since the 90s and (maybe before?) my grandparents W210 and W204 Mercedes have had those. Disappointing to see the hard plastic lower door panels in such an expensive car.

Old 05-28-24, 05:44 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh link the supercharged 10 speed F150s! Stock internals and hilariously fast!

Any B58 will smack a plaid around with a moderate effort build
If you know, you know!!

One neighbor has a Roush F150 and mustang (mustang is like a 2012ish)

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
They have had some issues with the 10 speed. I've heard, but don't quote me on this, that it's been resolved on 22+ models. You'd definitely want to research it before dropping $60k on on. I haven't heard anything good or bad about the 4th gen Coyote in the current F-150. 3rd gens from 18-20 had some oil consumption and ticking issues, but nothing catastrophic as I understand it. The current ones have cylinder deactivation so time will tell how reliable they are.

My 2015 coyote is only now having its first running hiccups. Bit of a rough idle/stumble when warmed up. Probably needs a VCT solenoid replacement which can be a few hundred. It's 9 years old with 108k on it.
Isn’t this causing issues on the GM gas trucks? He’s somewhat partial to GM. He inquired about the 4 cylinder turbo that comes standard in the new Silverado 🥴. Then he asked about the 5.3. I directed him to the new coyote F150. He wants something that gets decent mpg ( I know it’s a full size truck). I mentioned the baby duramax that come in the GM 1/2 tons. Rangers and Tacomas are 1/2 ton prices. Whatever he gets, he’s going to daily it and keep it until it dies. He will probably hook up a trailer to it max 2x year to tow his SxS.

Did I go wrong suggesting the 5.0 F150? I didn’t mention the V8 tundra because I know he wouldn’t be happy with 16-17mpg although it has a 38 gallon tank. He’s mainly concerned with how many miles he can drive on a tank (he resets trip A every fill up) so MPG is his top priority.

Whatever I get/drive he ask about the mpg.
“Wife got a new truck.”
” How’s the gas mileage?”
”Got a car for the track”
”what kinda gas mileage does it get”
”Got a plug in hybrid”
”How’s the gas mileage”
”Got a C7 Z06”
” Does it drink gas”
“That’s not important”
🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1