Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-24, 05:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Oh yes those hard rough vinyl sunvisors! Mercedes has been using since the 90s and (maybe before?) my grandparents W210 and W204 Mercedes have had those. Disappointing to see the hard plastic lower door panels in such an expensive car.
Yep, they have! They don't use them on the S Class at least. They do on the EQS.
Old 05-28-24, 06:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
If you know, you know!!

One neighbor has a Roush F150 and mustang (mustang is like a 2012ish)

Isn’t this causing issues on the GM gas trucks? He’s somewhat partial to GM. He inquired about the 4 cylinder turbo that comes standard in the new Silverado 🥴. Then he asked about the 5.3. I directed him to the new coyote F150. He wants something that gets decent mpg ( I know it’s a full size truck). I mentioned the baby duramax that come in the GM 1/2 tons. Rangers and Tacomas are 1/2 ton prices. Whatever he gets, he’s going to daily it and keep it until it dies. He will probably hook up a trailer to it max 2x year to tow his SxS.

Did I go wrong suggesting the 5.0 F150? I didn’t mention the V8 tundra because I know he wouldn’t be happy with 16-17mpg although it has a 38 gallon tank. He’s mainly concerned with how many miles he can drive on a tank (he resets trip A every fill up) so MPG is his top priority.

Whatever I get/drive he ask about the mpg.
“Wife got a new truck.”
” How’s the gas mileage?”
”Got a car for the track”
”what kinda gas mileage does it get”
”Got a plug in hybrid”
”How’s the gas mileage”
”Got a C7 Z06”
” Does it drink gas”
“That’s not important”
🤣🤣🤦‍♂️

Overall the 5.0 has been a pretty good engine over the last 14 years. Ford has a winner with it. I don't think he'll have anything to worry about.

MPG is going to come down to the driver. I get 12-13 city because I'm a lead foot and my tires are heavy. Others do better. Being a 10 speed with the newer coyote, he should do better. He'll probably beat the tundra 5.7 for mpg.
Old 05-28-24, 06:33 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Overall the 5.0 has been a pretty good engine over the last 14 years. Ford has a winner with it. I don't think he'll have anything to worry about.

MPG is going to come down to the driver. I get 12-13 city because I'm a lead foot and my tires are heavy. Others do better. Being a 10 speed with the newer coyote, he should do better. He'll probably beat the tundra 5.7 for mpg.
Yeah it's hard not to gun an automobile with potent V8, isn't it? Lol.

I can get 14MPG city with the LX570 if I grandma it and I mean seriously grandma it.
Old 05-28-24, 07:06 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Good deal. I’ll pass it along to him. We live 10 minutes from town so mpg should be decent. He’s about 15 miles or so from work (majority highway depending on which way he goes). I can get 19-20mpg driving to town in my Tundra so I know he should be fine in the coyote. I haven’t even mentioned the 2.7 or the 3.5 powerboost to him 🫣. I hate to recommend something to him and it give him problems down the road. What do you think about the baby duramax?

Originally Posted by AJT123

I can get 14MPG city with the LX570 if I grandma it and I mean seriously grandma it.
I can say we don’t gun our 5.7s. Lose to every Accord on the road 🤣 we just carry speed on road trips.
Old 05-28-24, 07:29 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

I don't know if the fuel economy of the baby duramax would offset the high cost of ownership of a diesel. I believe they've also had a number of issues with the timing chain, which is rear mounted meaning the transmission has to come out to do the chain.

I"m guessing if you're getting 19-20 driving the Tundra, you could probably get 20-22 with the 5.0.
Old 05-28-24, 07:38 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I can say we don’t gun our 5.7s. Lose to every Accord on the road 🤣 we just carry speed on road trips.
i rarely "gun it" in my cars lol but occasionally and when conditions are good i'll let 2nd or 3rd wind out to that lovely 4000-5000 range, that's when all the best sounds start happening :D

also in the lexus with the "JBrady intake" you can actually hear the ACIS valves opening up at 4900 rpm, it'd be a crime not to hear that every now and then! there's a sudden pitch change almost like VTEC activating actuating kicking in yo
Old 05-28-24, 08:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

That's the thing though, if the car isn't fast I don't really care what kind of engine it is. Priority becomes how often does it require me to mess with it and then MPG if it is able to actual power needs.

As far as gunning it goes I went to get my W12 retinted and I couldn't help hitting redline about 15 times in a 7 mile trip lol!
Old 05-28-24, 08:33 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

I don't know if the fuel economy of the baby duramax would offset the high cost of ownership of a diesel. I believe they've also had a number of issues with the timing chain, which is rear mounted meaning the transmission has to come out to do the chain.

I"m guessing if you're getting 19-20 driving the Tundra, you could probably get 20-22 with the 5.0.
yeah I can get 17-19 on that same drive he would take. We will see. I’ll let him know. Thx
Old 05-29-24, 07:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Striker223
That's the thing though, if the car isn't fast I don't really care what kind of engine it is. Priority becomes how often does it require me to mess with it and then MPG if it is able to actual power needs.

As far as gunning it goes I went to get my W12 retinted and I couldn't help hitting redline about 15 times in a 7 mile trip lol!
Most cars are slow to you though, lol. Look at your driveway.

LX570 isn't a dragster W-12 but it has good pickup, at least before they dropped the 8 speed automatic in.
Old 05-29-24, 07:25 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

It really is lol. I can dip into the 15mpg range if I'm driving the IS 500 hard. It gets surprisingly good gas mileage though. Not much different than my old 3.7L V6.

Old 05-29-24, 07:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Most cars are slow to you though, lol. Look at your driveway.

LX570 isn't a dragster W-12 but it has good pickup, at least before they dropped the 8 speed automatic in.
I have the same driveline as you in the sequoia and while very good at its job it really wasn't ever fast enough that I ever felt the urge to hammer it. Sounds really good though, I'll give it that.....unusually so if nothing else, if it didn't I would actually complain that such an expensive truck/suv is as loud as it is!

Its been a really good engine/car so far but it's not the same as the hemi/ZF8 trucks I had where I did actually hammer it a lot lol! That said I do make sure to redline it when oil is at temp to make sure it remains working as expected, it's a good engine and at some point it will receive a supercharger.

After driving dad's Range Rover a few times it really made me want that type of engine feel in an SUV. Oh and funny thing about the W12 is that it's by far the BEST engine I've ever had for very delicate and relaxed driving since it requires so so so little rpm to move. That's one of the things I love about it vs my other engines, it does elegant perfectly as well as full hammer in a way I've never had in one car before.
Old 05-29-24, 08:13 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

What I like about the V8 is the smooth effortless power. For instance coming back from WV the other day, there was a logging truck on 64 in the left lane doing 80, but it was spitting all kinds of debris. With just a quick burst on the accelerator I was at 115 in no time and sailed right by him on the right. If my family had been with me and not paying attention they never would have noticed anything. In this GLS for instance that would have been a pedal to the floor maneuver that would have gotten everybody's attention. 0-60 etc I don't really care about, as long as it has that effortless feel.

So I've put about 120 miles on this GLS so far, and I have to say I really do like it. Its definately not as dynamic as the S Class, nor is it as locked in at high speeds. In comfort mode it feels most settled at 70-75, in Sport mode it feels good into the 80s, but never has solid as the S. I like the size and the driving position, and I like the looks. Loaded up the interior would be very nice, save those hard plastic lower door panels. I sat around in all the seats last night in the garage and its comfortable in all 3 rows and has surprisingly good space behind the third row.

This really might be a great option for me to buy, not lease, get the 179 deduction and then drive it until the lease is up on the Pacifica, give it to my wife and then lease something else for myself. We'll see when I get back in my S Class if it really is so dramatically better it banishes that thought lol.

Old 05-29-24, 08:30 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
It really is lol. I can dip into the 15mpg range if I'm driving the IS 500 hard. It gets surprisingly good gas mileage though. Not much different than my old 3.7L V6.
Yep, V8s over-deliver MPGs when unladen or just cruising steadily.

IS350 we had got worse MPG than the V8 LS430.

A V8 doesn’t have to be super fast to be enjoyable or pleasant either, not talking to you directly.
Old 05-29-24, 08:43 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

A V8 doesn’t have to be super fast to be enjoyable or pleasant either, not talking to you directly.
Gen2 IS350s are very, very, very overgeared.
Old 05-29-24, 08:44 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

This 100%. I always felt I had to wring my G37 out to feel power. Those 2 extra cylinders and 1.3L more of displacement makes driving so much more enjoyable.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024