Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-24, 12:19 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yep, it's almost unfair. It's to the point if I ever get a 7 series I would want a B58 car just so I can do stuff like that and not have to deal with N63 issues
I just bought out my X7 with the N63 engine, what type of issues are you seeing with that engine? The one thing I’ve mentioned before is I think I have to top off the coolant once a quarter to once every six months. I just had it in for the 30k service and they topped it off again and found no leaks, they just said it’s normal to have to top it off every once in a while.

I wish my model year had the S68 engine that the X7 M60i has now which is a true M engine. Are there any issues with those engines?
Old 05-29-24, 12:28 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I have to say Tesla drivers are very responsible on the road. I never see them driving like the Dodge Charger crowd.
I agree. I never see people driving Teslas like jackasses. I unequivocally give Tesla owners that, nobody can say they drive like DBags like Mustang owners.
Old 05-29-24, 01:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I just bought out my X7 with the N63 engine, what type of issues are you seeing with that engine? The one thing I’ve mentioned before is I think I have to top off the coolant once a quarter to once every six months. I just had it in for the 30k service and they topped it off again and found no leaks, they just said it’s normal to have to top it off every once in a while.

I wish my model year had the S68 engine that the X7 M60i has now which is a true M engine. Are there any issues with those engines?
Valve seals
Turbo coolant lines (very often)
Turbo oil line leaks under the turbos at the return
Valve cover leaks (plastic)
Some valvetronic, I doubt you will see it at lease miles
Same with Vanos
Same with carbon buildup

I have done 3 of them that lost piston rings but the miles and history were high and "eh" so I can't say if that's a real issue.

It's a very powerful engine with stupid power easily had (look at the M5s) but just too finicky for me personally unless I'm using it in a race style chassis. Cars they come are not worth the headache to me personally for the money unless it's an M5 but I'm not an M5 type of guy.
Old 05-29-24, 01:20 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AJT123
I agree. I never see people driving Teslas like jackasses. I unequivocally give Tesla owners that, nobody can say they drive like DBags like Mustang owners.
DODGE CHARGERS. They and the infinity G35/37s are undisputed kings of Dbag driving and are in powerful enough cars that it's not cute like an Altima doing it.
Old 05-29-24, 01:49 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep here it’s Chargers, Challengers and Infiniti’s or “fin-fins” as they call them. Not making that up!
Old 05-29-24, 01:56 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

DODGE CHARGERS. They and the infinity G35/37s are undisputed kings of Dbag driving and are in powerful enough cars that it's not cute like an Altima doing it.
These idiots take their cars "swimming". I never heard of it until recently.

The videos I've seen on YouTube are in moderate to heavy traffic. Various Parkways around NYC like Palisades, Beltway etc seem to be their hotspots. Insane stuff.

Old 05-29-24, 02:00 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I guess dealers are still doing their thing as long as they can get away with it

https://jalopnik.com/dealer-finance-...rth-1851497470

Even when you get a deal on something at a dealer, they’ll still find a way to try and get some more money out of you to make up for the fact that you got said deal. Take how Hyundai covered an engine replacement for my car, but the dealer still said I needed to part with $800 for new hoses and belts. The main place things like this happen at dealerships is in the finance managers office. Going over those final contracts dealers will often try and sneak things in like extended warranty plans and gap insurance. Take a dealer that tried to sneak in $20,000 worth of extras on a customer.

This latest dealer grift comes to us by way of a tweet on X via friend of the site Zach Shefska of CarEdge and Ray & Zach on YouTube. In the tweet, Zach says that they recently helped a customer with a Lexus deal at Lexus of Englewood, New Jersey. Except when they got to the finance manager’s officer, they tried to throw on thousands of dollars in extras. Wanting a bit more info, I reached out to Zach for some more details.

He informed me that they helped the customer get their Lexus and negotiated $7,000 off sticker for the vehicle. Apparently, the dealer finance manager may not have liked that the customer got $7,000 off. Zach says they were informed of what the manager was trying to pull through a message from one of the guys working on the deal. “You gotta be kidding me,” read the message. Not long after the customer sent them over the vehicle contract.

Image: CarEdgeAs you can see, the total vehicle price is just over $90,000. Yet the manager tried adding on nearly $21,000 in bull**** extras. A near $9,000 extended warranty on top of a $5,000 maintenance contract, another $5,000 for “tire wheel and product,” more insurance from Toyota for $1,200 and most egregious of all, $1,240 for an “optional sales commission.”

Surprisingly, Zach says they were able to get all the extra crap removed and the deal moved forward. Personally, seeing that would have been a deal breaker for me and I would have torn up the contract and walked. I’m sure though whoever’s buying that Lexus is a better person than I am.

And what of the sales manager that tried to pull a fast one? I asked Zach does he know what happened to them, he said he’s not sure. I’d bet money though that nothing happened and that the person is still sitting pretty in their office.
Old 05-29-24, 02:10 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
I guess dealers are still doing their thing as long as they can get away with it

https://jalopnik.com/dealer-finance-...rth-1851497470
incredibly high demand
Old 05-29-24, 02:16 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Valve seals
Turbo coolant lines (very often)
Turbo oil line leaks under the turbos at the return
Valve cover leaks (plastic)
Some valvetronic, I doubt you will see it at lease miles
Same with Vanos
Same with carbon buildup

I have done 3 of them that lost piston rings but the miles and history were high and "eh" so I can't say if that's a real issue.

It's a very powerful engine with stupid power easily had (look at the M5s) but just too finicky for me personally unless I'm using it in a race style chassis. Cars they come are not worth the headache to me personally for the money unless it's an M5 but I'm not an M5 type of guy.
The N63 has been out for quite a while now and had a few versions. Do you know if the newer ones have gotten any better? I also avoided that engine for fear of reliability issues. The B58 is just so damn awesome. I have peak torque at like 1350 RPM. I thought my Coyote had grunt, but it definitely needs to rev a lot more than the B58.

I hate HOA"s but I always joke that I would gladly form an HOA where the only rule is no VQ engines allowed.
Old 05-29-24, 02:20 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

@BayouLexus might enjoy this video.

The 5.0 beat the GM 6.2 and Stellantis 3.0 on a fuel economy test. Obviously these tests are limited to a controlled loop and don't fit everybody's individual needs, but it was interesting for sure. I expected the 3.0 to do better given that the small turbocharged engines usually beat the V8's at unladen highway driving while losing at city or towing MPG. These were all 4x4 trucks with each manufacturer's special off-road trim(Rebel, AT4, Tremor).

The new Tundra wasn't included because they were comparing the new 3.0 to V8 engines. I'll be interested to see more data on these as they get more miles.

Old 05-29-24, 02:26 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
The N63 has been out for quite a while now and had a few versions. Do you know if the newer ones have gotten any better? I also avoided that engine for fear of reliability issues.
The original version (2008-2013) is likely the worst engine BMW has ever made. There were a lot of improvements for the TU and TU2 (2013-2018), but it still had some issues. The TU3 (2018+) has actually been quite solid. TU3 is in these cars:
  • 2018– G14/G15/G16 M850i xDrive
  • 2019-2022; G11/G12 750i/750Li sDrive/xDrive
  • 2020-2023; G30/G31 M550i xDrive
  • 2020-2023; G05 X5 M50i
  • 2020-2023; G06 X6 M50i
  • 2020-2022; G07 X7 M50i
  • 2021– G14/G15/G16 Alpina B8 Gran Coupe
  • 2022– Land Rover Range Rover (L460)
  • 2022– Land Rover Range Rover Sport (L461)
Old 05-29-24, 02:35 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kcdX5AG4Do

The 5.0 beat the GM 6.2 and Stellantis 3.0 on a fuel economy test. Obviously these tests are limited to a controlled loop and don't fit everybody's individual needs, but it was interesting for sure. I expected the 3.0 to do better given that the small turbocharged engines usually beat the V8's at unladen highway driving while losing at city or towing MPG. These were all 4x4 trucks with each manufacturer's special off-road trim(Rebel, AT4, Tremor)..
No they don't. They have to heavily rely on boost to push these brick like trucks through the air at 75mph. It's an older study but a 5.3 Chevy V8 beat the 4 cylinder turbo Silverado offering by 3MPG real world highway driving conducted by independent legit testers. Also keep in mind they're a mile high where forced induction engines aren't affected by the thin air. NA vehicles are, significantly. My car at the time felt 25% less powerful in the high altitude areas when I was out West where they are.

The new Tundra wasn't included because they were comparing the new 3.0 to V8 engines. I'll be interested to see more data on these as they get more miles.
Yes, I am very interested to see how the Toyota 3.4tt performs as the years go by. So far, ehhh. Not too terrible but not that good either.
Old 05-29-24, 02:36 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Yep here it’s Chargers, Challengers and Infiniti’s or “fin-fins” as they call them. Not making that up!
Fin fins? God, I can see the person who says that now....vape and all
Old 05-29-24, 02:38 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by LH1
These idiots take their cars "swimming". I never heard of it until recently.

The videos I've seen on YouTube are in moderate to heavy traffic. Various Parkways around NYC like Palisades, Beltway etc seem to be their hotspots. Insane stuff.
Great way to kill someone or cause an issue to others, speed is not something I have an issue with but being out of position or not following lane etiquette drives me insane.

People like that are why we can't have unlimited speed sections
Old 05-29-24, 02:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kcdX5AG4Do

The 5.0 beat the GM 6.2 and Stellantis 3.0 on a fuel economy test. Obviously these tests are limited to a controlled loop and don't fit everybody's individual needs, but it was interesting for sure. I expected the 3.0 to do better given that the small turbocharged engines usually beat the V8's at unladen highway driving while losing at city or towing MPG. These were all 4x4 trucks with each manufacturer's special off-road trim(Rebel, AT4, Tremor).

I actually have experienced the inverse, normally I get better highway out of a large non-turbo engine and it flips in town. That said I'm not surprised at all the FCA engine was bad, they have never done much more than compliance tier MPG lol!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1