Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-24, 05:02 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
no one said it's 'unbeatable' - there's always a bigger dog. but takes highly modified and noisy polluting ICE cars in your videos to beat it.
Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
You really had a lot of disdain for us filthy ICE owners lol
One would think he EV swapped his fire breathing V8 LC.

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
@BayouLexus might enjoy this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kcdX5AG4Do

The 5.0 beat the GM 6.2 and Stellantis 3.0 on a fuel economy test. Obviously these tests are limited to a controlled loop and don't fit everybody's individual needs, but it was interesting for sure. I expected the 3.0 to do better given that the small turbocharged engines usually beat the V8's at unladen highway driving while losing at city or towing MPG. These were all 4x4 trucks with each manufacturer's special off-road trim(Rebel, AT4, Tremor).

The new Tundra wasn't included because they were comparing the new 3.0 to V8 engines. I'll be interested to see more data on these as they get more miles.
I watched it yesterday. I think the coyote did like 19.X mpg on the loop I believe. Really wish they could do the same test at sea level. One thing that took me back was the prices on those trucks. There were all $80k🤯😳😱

My coworker told me he gets around 19mpg in his 2023 GMC Sierra 6.2 4WD going/coming to work. He also said he can get 21-22mpg on roadtrip traveling 75mph. He’s afraid of the potential issues so he bought an extended warranty. He still has his 2nd gen Tundra with over 230k miles.

Have another coworker with a 2023 AT4 GMC 6.2 and last he told me he was getting 16mpg. He wasn’t happy with its fuel mileage. Driving styles could differ.
Old 05-30-24, 06:17 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

The argument that a heavily modified car can beat a Plaid makes no sense. The reason the Plaid is amazing is because it offers that performance out of the box in a passenger car. 99% of car buyers don't want to modify their cars, and modifying cars has consequences in the form of lost warranty, expense, reduced reliability etc. You have none of those issues in a Plaid.

An update on my car repair. They called me yesterday to tell me that they were "shooting for Friday" to return it to me, but it may go into next week. Apparently its a bigger job than they thought...which leads me to believe this is an uncommon issue...

At least I enjoy this GLS...
Old 05-30-24, 06:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
It's fun to imagine how understanding you'd be of the delay if they had stuck you in a GLA for a week!
Old 05-30-24, 06:57 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's fun to imagine how understanding you'd be of the delay if they had stuck you in a GLA for a week!
And make it the most base and stripped model that exists.

I was hoping for a rant thread. Haha
I always like a good rant.
​​

Last edited by Margate330; 05-30-24 at 07:16 AM.
Old 05-30-24, 06:59 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

The argument that a heavily modified car can beat a Plaid makes no sense. The reason the Plaid is amazing is because it offers that performance out of the box in a passenger car. 99% of car buyers don't want to modify their cars, and modifying cars has consequences in the form of lost warranty, expense, reduced reliability etc. You have none of those issues in a Plaid.

An update on my car repair. They called me yesterday to tell me that they were "shooting for Friday" to return it to me, but it may go into next week. Apparently its a bigger job than they thought...which leads me to believe this is an uncommon issue...

Bolt ons are light mods by definition, that's why we bring it up because actual car enthusiasts know what that term means and why it's not a big deal. It's not a build or actual modification as it's as simple as unbolting parts and putting stock components back if you want to revert.

Many do exactly that if they need warranty work or sell the car
Old 05-30-24, 07:13 AM
1111GS

Received 92 Likes on 80 Posts

Isn't S Plaid 1.99? If speed is what one is after, nothing beats Tesla. Even their 3.5 and 2.9 are ridiculously nice achievement on stock vehicles. I'm glad you enjoy the GLS. It makes sense when they give similar vehicles as loaners. They should. On this department, no one can beat Tesla either but the other way around.
Old 05-30-24, 09:12 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

These are located about .5 miles from my house. I'm assuming they are all owned by the same person as they are all parked within 50 yards of each other. The crazy thing is my area has two days of alternate side parking. I can't imagine moving all these cars as I struggle doing it with one.

There are a few more around the block. I'll try to get those later
Old 05-30-24, 09:13 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1111GS
Isn't S Plaid 1.99? If speed is what one is after, nothing beats Tesla. Even their 3.5 and 2.9 are ridiculously nice achievement on stock vehicles. I'm glad you enjoy the GLS. It makes sense when they give similar vehicles as loaners. They should. On this department, no one can beat Tesla either but the other way around.
2.2 actual, use a draggy or similar box that measures true 0-60. A lot of advertised speeds exclude rollout and isn't the real speed and is annoying to sift through.

On forums with a more performance focused crowd unlike here people always use external instruments to check what the cars really do for that reason
Old 05-30-24, 09:21 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330

That's plenty, doesn't even need that much.

Give me a nice big V8 with a cast iron block, a real truck. Lol

Not sure how over built the block is on the Denali but guessing a bit if it was a Corvette engine.

Can't put a wimpy block in a car that has a reputation for people bolting on more HP.
Excuse the language...

Lol 6,000lb truck peels out from a dead stop with the traction control ON. Lots of power.

Block I agree must be very heavy duty.
Old 05-30-24, 09:22 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
and a plaid is 1020hp so a 600hp b58 car won't stand a chance.
Oh I'm just speaking as to the B58 power numbers, I make no claim that it's a Plaid killer.

He is right that it is proven to be capable of1000 hp though with the right mods.
Old 05-30-24, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
These are located about .5 miles from my house. I'm assuming they are all owned by the same person as they are all parked within 50 yards of each other. The crazy thing is my area has two days of alternate side parking. I can't imagine moving all these cars as I struggle doing it with one.

There are a few more around the block. I'll try to get those later
I like
Old 05-30-24, 09:40 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Block I agree must be very heavy duty.
Well not the entire block per se, but they apparently the engine overall is stout enough to keep running for a bit even as piston nuggets are bouncing around in one cylinder like popcorn, and a wrist pin is in a ditch somewhere in Oklahoma thanks to a custom "inspection port".

This is no way a dig on the 6.2. I just love these teardowns, and it's always fun when components are just "missing" and can't be found anywhere.
Old 05-30-24, 09:55 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

Well not the entire block per se, but they apparently the engine overall is stout enough to keep running for a bit even as piston nuggets are bouncing around in one cylinder like popcorn, and a wrist pin is in a ditch somewhere in Oklahoma thanks to a custom "inspection port".

https://youtu.be/qxFFTHbJQ7Y?si=Xn20Fx8cjB-WWIII

This is no way a dig on the 6.2. I just love these teardowns, and it's always fun when components are just "missing" and can't be found anywhere.

I watched that one yesterday after work. Holy crap when he dropped the oil pan that piston was annihilated!

Absolutely beautiful E46 M3 and the end of that teardown too. I guess it was Laguna Seca blue?

I love I Do Cars videos. He's funny and no music.
Old 05-30-24, 10:02 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

https://youtu.be/qxFFTHbJQ7Y?si=Xn20Fx8cjB-WWIII

Oh sure, I watch teardowns all the time. Toyota 5.7 was fun.

I've actually heard GM was having problems with spinning rods on some of these, which is unacceptable.
Old 05-30-24, 10:05 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

His stuff is great, always fun to see what died. The amount of oil killed engines is astonishing to me though lol!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1