Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-24, 10:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
His stuff is great, always fun to see what died. The amount of oil killed engines is astonishing to me though lol!
"Oil killed".... do you mean bc they don't change it?

Yes, mind boggling.
Old 05-30-24, 11:16 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
"Oil killed".... do you mean bc they don't change it?

Yes, mind boggling.
No just run out of it because they don't check or ignore the sensor warning lol
Old 05-30-24, 11:22 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Yeah, from what I've heard GM has been having a hell of a time with catastrophic failures in the 6.2 the last few years.
Old 05-30-24, 11:53 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by geko29
It's fun to imagine how understanding you'd be of the delay if they had stuck you in a GLA for a week!
Oh I would have returned it for something else lol

Bolt ons are light mods by definition, that's why we bring it up because actual car enthusiasts know what that term means and why it's not a big deal. It's not a build or actual modification as it's as simple as unbolting parts and putting stock components back if you want to revert.

Many do exactly that if they need warranty work or sell the car
You are on a huge enthusiast forum here...how many of us modify the engines in our cars? Not many, and the ones that do have older cars that are low value and are out of warranty. People that spend $100,000 on cars like I do generally aren't interested in going in and modifying the engines in their new cars. We also generally are busy professionals who don't have the ability, facilities or time to work on our cars ourselves. Modifying them requires finding speciality shops and paying big sums of money. Also not feasible to have them un-modified for warranty repair. If we want a fast car that we can also drive every day and that we don't have to worry about all of this, the Plaid is an incredible car. When you post this about tuning cars do you notice nobody ever agrees with you about it?

The absolute most somebody like me might do is install a tune, maybe. Its invisible and easily reversed but even that would void the warranty and I just can't be bothered to even worry about all of that. Plus. none of these cars with just a tune is going to be faster than a Plaid.
Old 05-30-24, 12:08 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 300 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You are on a huge enthusiast forum here...how many of us modify the engines in our cars? Not many, and the ones that do have older cars that are low value and are out of warranty. People that spend $100,000 on cars like I do generally aren't interested in going in and modifying the engines in their new cars. We also generally are busy professionals who don't have the ability, facilities or time to work on our cars ourselves. Modifying them requires finding speciality shops and paying big sums of money. Also not feasible to have them un-modified for warranty repair.
I think you're both over-generalizing. Car enthusiasts cover a huge spectrum, all with different goals and priorities. Though I've done some minor mods (CF bits, clutch stop, wheels, lights, wireless charger, various coding) and have more on my list (stage 1 tune, ethanol, midpipe, exhaust controller, audio upgrades), on Bimmerpost I feel like I'm the only M3/M4 owner who doesn't already have >700hp. These are brand-new $90-115k cars that lots of folks are heavily modifying not just under warranty, but sometimes before the break-in service. Just because someone is a busy professional (I am too) doesn't mean they don't have the desire, willingness and means to modify their car.
Old 05-30-24, 12:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

I would say this forum is more about luxury enthusiasts who buy expensive cars for the luxury or image. They're enthusiasts because they care a lot about it, and generally know quite a bit about their cars(vs the appliance people buying Camrys and CRV's as transportation).

That's different from a performance enthusiast, though some people are obviously both. Performance enthusiasts might not be interested in the image or amenities of an S-Class or LS500, but they are interest in a high powered RWD sedan.

And people definitely do sink money into modding expensive cars, though I doubt it's a majority of the buyers of those cars.
Old 05-30-24, 12:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

You are on a huge enthusiast forum here...how many of us modify the engines in our cars? Not many, and the ones that do have older cars that are low value and are out of warranty. People that spend $100,000 on cars like I do generally aren't interested in going in and modifying the engines in their new cars. We also generally are busy professionals who don't have the ability, facilities or time to work on our cars ourselves. Modifying them requires finding speciality shops and paying big sums of money. Also not feasible to have them un-modified for warranty repair. If we want a fast car that we can also drive every day and that we don't have to worry about all of this, the Plaid is an incredible car. When you post this about tuning cars do you notice nobody ever agrees with you about it?

The absolute most somebody like me might do is install a tune, maybe. It's invisible and easily reversed but even that would void the warranty and I just can't be bothered to even worry about all of that. Plus. none of these cars with just a tune is going to be faster than a Plaid.
Go to the BMW/Audi forums or the AMG side of Mercedes.....or the LS forums/any domestic forum etc

This forum is not enthusiast by any means lol! Just folks who appreciate nice cars and know much more than the general population. So few have even the day one mods like a baseline tune and downpipes it's in extreme contrast to the other forums where nearly everyone has those before they even join
Old 05-30-24, 12:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

I think you're both over-generalizing. Car enthusiasts cover a huge spectrum, all with different goals and priorities. Though I've done some minor mods (CF bits, clutch stop, wheels, lights, wireless charger, various coding) and have more on my list (stage 1 tune, ethanol, midpipe, exhaust controller, audio upgrades), on Bimmerpost I feel like I'm the only M3/M4 owner who doesn't already have >700hp. These are brand-new $90-115k cars that lots of folks are heavily modifying not just under warranty, but sometimes before the break-in service. Just because someone is a busy professional (I am too) doesn't mean they don't have the desire, willingness and means to modify their car.
Exactly my point, there are different types and this forum is not primarily filled with the types the other brands are.

The Lambo market is insanity, 40% of the cars are TT setups these days to the point it's easier to just buy a built one than a pure stock example
Old 05-30-24, 12:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I was talking about our forum, certainly these buyers exist but what % of M3/M4 buyers do you think modify their cars to this extent? Its a very small percentage...and those modified cars are still not faster than a Plaid. I would argue that is a much different consumer than somebody who would buy a Plaid.

Go to the BMW/Audi forums or the AMG side of Mercedes.....or the LS forums/any domestic forum etc

This forum is not enthusiast by any means lol! Just folks who appreciate nice cars and know much more than the general population. So few have even the day one mods like a baseline tune and downpipes it's in extreme contrast to the other forums where nearly everyone has those before they even join
Any forum full of people that spend their time talking about cars is a forum of car enthusiasts lol. We are just a different kind of enthusiast than you are. I don't see how you can say with a straight face that I am not a car enthusiast, look at the time in my life I have devoted to cars and discussing cars, etc. I have been a car enthusiast since I was 3 years old. I just am not into modifying my cars, it doesn't interest me. Doesn't mean I'm not an enthusiast.

A Plaid is a car that is aimed at an enthusiast that isn't into modifying their cars...they want an amazingly fast car out of the box. I would buy a Plaid long before I would ever modify any of my cars.
Old 05-30-24, 01:09 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

The absolute most somebody like me might do is install a tune, maybe. Its invisible and easily reversed but even that would void the warranty and I just can't be bothered to even worry about all of that. Plus. none of these cars with just a tune is going to be faster than a Plaid.
‘I agree most people don’t, but you can buy a S 63 or S 65 AMG. So there is a turn key option for those who do want a modified type car.
Old 05-30-24, 01:11 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

More 2024 Tundras having major engine issues. GX 550's are built in Tahara, Japan. Hopefully they don't have the same issue. We'll find out soon.

Old 05-30-24, 01:20 PM
LH1
Instructor

98,600 Tundras being recalled. 2024's will likely be included.

Old 05-30-24, 01:25 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

If it's a design issue, it won't matter where it's assembled.

The GX550 is built in Japan, but is the V35A-FTS built there? I thought they were all built in Alabama.
Old 05-30-24, 01:28 PM
LH1
Instructor

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

The GX550 is built in Japan, but is the V35A-FTS built there? I thought they were all built in Alabama.
I'm not sure where the V35 is actually built. Maybe it's a mixture of Japan and US? I'll have to check into it.
Old 05-30-24, 01:38 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

‘What is the design issue?

Originally Posted by LH1
I'm not sure where the V35 is actually built. Maybe it's a mixture of Japan and US? I'll have to check into it.
Tundra V35 is assembled in the US. GX550 and Lexus LS500 is assembled in Japan. Same with LX

Originally Posted by LH1
98,600 Tundras being recalled. 2024's will likely be included.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 05-30-24 at 02:03 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1