Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-24, 04:38 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
S Class is disgustingly sick but yes it needs hood ornament. Steve you will miss the hood ornament if you get a GLS.
The loss of the hood ornament is a big factor that draws me back to the S Class from the I7 believe it or not lol. I love the hood ornament.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once I get back into my S Class any notion of getting the GLS will go out the window. Driving the Pacifica today, the GLS is great but it’s huge and heavy and driving it everyday won’t be as relaxing as the S Class.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
I can see your view on this as I tend to leave my cars stock minus the one I track. But your stock car is in the shop for the 2nd time 👀 Like you said no car won’t have an issue or two (this when EV owners chime in)🤣
To be fair it’s twice for the same issue lol. It’s once to diagnose it and now to repair it.

It’s about making them less reliable though.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
I agree with you on hood ornaments......they can really help make a vehicle. Kudos to Mercedes for being one of the few companies that still uses them, at least on some
I love hood ornaments. I always have. They don’t look right on every car but I think Mercedes should offer the luxury grille and hood ornament on every sedan. They do overseas just not here.

Originally Posted by Striker223
It was my fault, I was over interval by about 5k miles lol!
Not really, intervals on these are very short as you know and tune halves it. I knew that and thought I could get away with 25% more miles than I should have
But if your car wasn’t tuned that wouldn’t have been an issue, that’s my point. Going over 5k miles resulting in plugs that caked with crud IMO is a huge issue.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-02-24 at 04:42 PM.
Old 06-02-24, 04:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I think the AMG S 63 front end looks really good. The regular S class looks classy too. But the AMG looks better here. I will say the S class interior design is weak IMO.
Its not my preference, the layout but in person it’s better than in pictures.

I think Mercedes is a bit of a mess in their styling. The EQE and EQS front ends look awful and I feel that takes away from some of the prestige of the brand. Then then you have the G class with the circle head lights that look weak. I was truly surprised to find out that the C class was a full redesign, I had thought it was a 2.0 refresh. Finally, something I never really liked was the painted arc that goes across some of their sedans and coupes.
I don’t think the round headlights look weak on the G Glass at all. In fact I think it’s one of the strongest most instantly recognizable cars on the market today.

Old 06-02-24, 05:57 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Agree. I don't think GLS is nearly bossy enough it in its crowd (and that's a big problem), but the G-Class is.

And OF COURSE I get it about the hood ornament, that's the best part of the whole car.
Old 06-02-24, 06:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The GLS and the G Class aren’t in the same crowd lol. This was the window sticker on the G63 I posted above.

Most GLS’ sell below $100k, G Wagen is twice as expensive. My spec’ GLS580 has almost every option at $126k, you could add the e active body control and a couple Little things and add another $8k maybe.
Old 06-02-24, 06:40 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
The loss of the hood ornament is a big factor that draws me back to the S Class from the I7 believe it or not lol. I love the hood ornament.

I have a sneaking suspicion that once I get back into my S Class any notion of getting the GLS will go out the window. Driving the Pacifica today, the GLS is great but it’s huge and heavy and driving it everyday won’t be as relaxing as the S Class.

To be fair it’s twice for the same issue lol. It’s once to diagnose it and now to repair it.

It’s about making them less reliable though.

I love hood ornaments. I always have. They don’t look right on every car but I think Mercedes should offer the luxury grille and hood ornament on every sedan. They do overseas just not here.

But if your car wasn’t tuned that wouldn’t have been an issue, that’s my point. Going over 5k miles resulting in plugs that caked with crud IMO is a huge issue.
They do it worse stock on the MDS cylinders actually but in my case the plugs don't live due to using it how I do.
Old 06-02-24, 06:57 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The plugs came out of my car and they were perfect...just sayin...
Old 06-02-24, 07:24 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

The plugs came out of my car and they were perfect...just sayin...
This is a known issue with the Audi 4cyl mode, thankfully you don't have to suffer it!

Working again for sure though, raced a C63 and smacked him around nicely. Gave him the hit on the second and third race. Then we made the pilgrimage to the beaver....

Absolutely huge

The food was extremely expensive but very very good for what I went into it expectation wise.
Old 06-02-24, 08:04 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Theres a little bit of difference between expressing an opinion in general, and expressing an opinion about a car someone likes and is considering purchasing or owns themselves. You don’t always have to express your opinion, and you don’t have to do it in a rude and belittling way.
this is all on your sensitivity bud. i *like* the gls, just not that front lower front/sides as mentioned, and it wasn't that way in 2023:

it also is less garish to me in a dark color:

and also note the gls63 (and gls450) has more subdued design too:

You love to **** on stuff people like that you don’t like…
not true, i simply express what i like and don't like. don't like it? put me on your ignore list.

You don’t like the car,
as i said, i LIKE the GLS. a LOT. maybe you're still sensitive because i REALLY don't like ANYTHING about the bmw 7 series. (look, no smiley, just for you)

in the future when I discuss it or post pictures of it just know that I know that, and keep it to yourself.
you and i obviously have different priorities and tastes in cars. and that's ok by me. if you said my lc500 is butt ugly, fine! your perogative.

you don't get to tell me to keep my opinions to myself. this whole forum is about opinions!

This is reason 314 why I don’t want to keep old cars. You can fix it, I’d be stranded.
there you go, always bashing people's older cars because you don't like them. see?
Old 06-02-24, 08:22 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Whats that I hear? Your aggressive tune reduced the reliability of your car and left you stranded? Sounds like what I said a couple days ago is why I don't want to modify my car that you said was no issue lol
i agree with you but pretty bold when your lovely s-class' v8 is out of the engine bay!

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Seems like since he became an EV owner, only sounds he wants to hear while driving are wind noise and noise from EV tires.
haha... i like the ev silence, but i do enjoy the lc500 exhaust sounds, especially with the transmission programming that can 'crack' off shifts, and does perfect rev matches on paddle downshifts. i DON'T enjoy the run flat tire noise on the lc on less than glass smooth roads though. and i'm amazed the lc doesn't have double paned side windows (my ioniq 5 does!).

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I think the AMG S 63 front end looks really good. The regular S class looks classy too. But the AMG looks better here. I will say the S class interior design is weak IMO.
agreed.

the GLS is great but it’s huge and heavy ...
must be that beefy suspension/chassis you praised! amazingly the eqs suv 580 is over 1000lbs LIGHTER than the gls 580.
Old 06-02-24, 08:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
this is all on your sensitivity bud. i *like* the gls, just not that front lower front/sides as mentioned, and it wasn't that way in 2023
We’re not “buds” lol.

I like talking to you most of the time but you can be very hard on people who like things you don’t like. Right now in the movie thread you’re telling geko a movie he thought was very good is “horrendously bad” and “stupid” which is insulting. In the food thread telling us the food we like and make is awful. You can be really toxic and ruin good conversations with that and I wish you wouldn’t, it turns into everybody trying to justify their opinions to you and that ruins the fun. Putting you on ignore would mean that I would miss the positive interactions with you which would be a shame. I just wish you could be a little friendlier in those other times.

You don’t have to constantly post the same negative opinions about things over and over again.

there you go, always bashing people's older cars because you don't like them. see?
Not bashing anything, I just don’t want to deal with the unreliability of older or modified cars.

i agree with you but pretty bold when your lovely s-class' v8 is out of the engine bay!
My S Class is the oldest car I have had since 2010. I haven’t owned a car over 45k miles in all that time. It’s going to be gone in a few months too. Totally agree with you, don’t want to deal with it so any chance of me keeping it is gone. I don’t want a car that sits in a shop for a week.

must be that beefy suspension/chassis you praised! amazingly the eqs suv 580 is over 1000lbs LIGHTER than the gls 580.
It has capability in other areas which bring tradeoffs, EQS SUV is just a car, I would just get another sedan. If I get an SUV I want an SUV.

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-02-24 at 08:47 PM.
Old 06-02-24, 08:41 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a known issue with the Audi 4cyl mode, thankfully you don't have to suffer it!

Working again for sure though, raced a C63 and smacked him around nicely. Gave him the hit on the second and third race. Then we made the pilgrimage to the beaver....

Absolutely huge

The food was extremely expensive but very very good for what I went into it expectation wise.
Bucees is an American institution lol, did you have a beef brisket sandwich and poop in the worlds cleanest bathroom?
Old 06-02-24, 08:46 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 96 Likes on 68 Posts

On the W223, I prefer the grille of the S63, but the regular grille has grown on me as well(didn't really care for it as much early on, it's just due to my preferred balance of luxury/classiness vs sporty looks).

I like that right now I can choose when I go out if I want to drive a tank or a sedan. There's definitely a few drive-thrus where I take the BMW because the turn angles are just a bit sharp for a truck to be comfortable.

Also, I can second that Bit does often come across as condescending to people whose tastes/interests he sees as disgusting or pedestrian. May not be intentional but it sure comes across that way sometimes.
Old 06-02-24, 08:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

What I’d like to see is an option. You can have the traditional grille or you can have the panamericana grille.

As for having two vehicles that are really different. I like that too, I think the best thing to do is just wait until the lease is up on the Pacifica and get a big SUV and then we can have that and a nice luxury sedan. We’ll see what my reaction is when I get the S560 back (whenever that is lol)
Old 06-02-24, 09:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
On the W223, I prefer the grille of the S63, but the regular grille has grown on me as well(didn't really care for it as much early on, it's just due to my preferred balance of luxury/classiness vs sporty looks).

I like that right now I can choose when I go out if I want to drive a tank or a sedan. There's definitely a few drive-thrus where I take the BMW because the turn angles are just a bit sharp for a truck to be comfortable.

Also, I can second that Bit does often come across as condescending to people whose tastes/interests he sees as disgusting or pedestrian. May not be intentional but it sure comes across that way sometimes.
He is British so it makes perfect sense culturally for him
Old 06-03-24, 04:20 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

GLS looks good in white too

I really don’t like the side inlets in the body color of the car in a light color. In a darker color I think it wouldn’t be as noticeable.

This is exactly how I feel about our X7, great for long trips but it gets tiring running around town just based on the size even though it isn’t all that big. Give me a car any day. It’s all personal preference but it’s just way easier for me in a car.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1