Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-24, 05:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I really don’t like the side inlets in the body color of the car in a light color. In a darker color I think it wouldn’t be as noticeable.
I prefer the pre refresh bumper too. I think I would get the twilight blue color, not so dark that it becomes a pain with swirls. Selenite is just so blah…

This is exactly how I feel about our X7, great for long trips but it gets tiring running around town just based on the size even though it isn’t all that big. Give me a car any day. It’s all personal preference but it’s just way easier for me in a car.
Is your X7 the V8? I wonder if it would feel lighter with the V8. It’s very easy to drive but driving it is tiring in a way I can’t put my finger on.
Old 06-03-24, 06:10 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Is your X7 the V8? I wonder if it would feel lighter with the V8. It’s very easy to drive but driving it is tiring in a way I can’t put my finger on.
Yes it’s the TTV8 and also has the dynamic handling package with 4 wheel steering so it turns pretty tight. Like I said it’s just a personal preference for me, it is just so much easier for me to navigate tight spaces like parking lots and backroads that I drive on a lot. A car just does it better for me because it has less mass to move around.
Old 06-03-24, 06:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I don't disagree at all. Like I said I'm surprised by how easy it is to maneuver but somehow it tires me out. My S Class is almost the same length. Its not as "effortless" to drive for sure. I think like you I just prefer a sedan for everyday driving.
Old 06-03-24, 07:50 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Supposedly my car should be done tomorrow...so that will have been a week.

I mean...its a big job but its not that big lol. Clearly its just sitting around over there in process while they work on other things alongside it...which is MB's MO.
Old 06-03-24, 07:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

I prefer the pre refresh bumper too. I think I would get the twilight blue color, not so dark that it becomes a pain with swirls. Selenite is just so blah…

Those enormous vents under the headlights (plugged on this version) could pass for the Harbor Tunnel LOL. Some high-performance vehicles, of course, have vents like that for front-brake-cooling.
Old 06-03-24, 08:34 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Those enormous vents under the headlights (plugged on this version) could pass for the Harbor Tunnel LOL. Some high-performance vehicles, of course, have vents like that for front-brake-cooling.
While others just have to have the looks of those high end versions lol! That's why this stuff exists, I would rather just have a smooth bumper instead of the factory ricer look
Old 06-03-24, 09:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,434 Likes on 1,596 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Also, I can second that Bit does often come across as condescending to people whose tastes/interests he sees as disgusting or pedestrian. May not be intentional but it sure comes across that way sometimes.
def. not intentional.

so about those white giant gls inlets, patgilm says:

Originally Posted by patgilm
I really don’t like the side inlets in the body color of the car in a light color. In a darker color I think it wouldn’t be as noticeable.
i wrote:

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
damn those white side inlets look like wind tunnels.
we both really don't like them but i guess instead of saying i really don't like them i made an exaggeration for effect.

i didn't **** all over it as steve claims and it wasn't condescension. i simply don't care for that one design aspect. great car though!!!!

Originally Posted by Striker223
He is British so it makes perfect sense culturally for him
that cracked me up, ROFL.

anyway...

agreed, that's the same as the one i posted!

can we all just get along?
Old 06-03-24, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
can we all just get along?
We get along great. We'd like to get along with you too.

While others just have to have the looks of those high end versions lol! That's why this stuff exists, I would rather just have a smooth bumper instead of the factory ricer look
The AMG package vehicle looks much better than the standard trim though, which looks soft like a minivan with grainy plastic wheel wells etc...

Old 06-03-24, 10:54 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

The AMG package vehicle looks much better than the standard trim though, which looks soft like a minivan with grainy plastic wheel wells etc...

Yeah that's not great, those lower grills are CHEAP looking. I would want to just not have anything there but plain bumper in that case, the AMG pack would be nice if those openings were at least brake ducts or something useful
Old 06-03-24, 10:58 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

It has a lot of good stuff working for it but I have to give the rims a FAIL. 🧐
Old 06-03-24, 11:06 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah that's not great, those lower grills are CHEAP looking. I would want to just not have anything there but plain bumper in that case, the AMG pack would be nice if those openings were at least brake ducts or something useful
Those vents are functional on the AMG package, they are brake cooling and stability vents. For plain bumper, thats a lot of just plain plastic.

IMO Mercedes vehicles almost always need the AMG package to look good, where BMWs often look great in the regular trim. Even an S Class I would never buy it with the standard trim.
Old 06-03-24, 12:03 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

where BMWs often look great in the regular trim
I even avoided the M-Sport on mine because the regular trim looked fine and I avoided the expensive brake jobs, as much as I would have enjoyed the suspension.
Old 06-03-24, 02:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I even avoided the M-Sport on mine because the regular trim looked fine and I avoided the expensive brake jobs, as much as I would have enjoyed the suspension.
I actually prefer the regular trim on a lot of BMW models, most of them actually. I don't like all the blacked out elements on the M Sport trims...but I can't think of any MB models where I prefer the luxury trim to the AMG trim...
Old 06-03-24, 02:20 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually prefer the regular trim on a lot of BMW models, most of them actually. I don't like all the blacked out elements on the M Sport trims...but I can't think of any MB models where I prefer the luxury trim to the AMG trim...
I agree on both counts. And on Lexuses I prefer the luxury trims.
Old 06-04-24, 10:28 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

The truck bit posted earlier with small wheels reminded me of monster trucks when they transport them.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1