Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-24, 06:52 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,187 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Supposed durability is 12 months, if I get a month I’ll be happy.
Nice, you will like it. The one I use lasted me the whole time I had the LS430 and 7 years on the Jeep so far. That one lives outside as well.....I forgot what I bought back then but I have it on most of my cars but haven't done anything with the 460s or A8s

Surprised to hear you have camera freeze issues, are they not heated?
Old 01-14-24, 08:00 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Nice, you will like it. The one I use lasted me the whole time I had the LS430 and 7 years on the Jeep so far. That one lives outside as well.....I forgot what I bought back then but I have it on most of my cars but haven't done anything with the 460s or A8s

Surprised to hear you have camera freeze issues, are they not heated?
No issues with camera freeze, on the Pacifica the rear camera just gets really dirty,’when it’s wet you can’t see through it. On the S560 they are concealed within little doors so that’s way better.

I think it’s just how flat the back hatch is it gets really dirty back there.
Old 01-14-24, 08:08 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

No issues with camera freeze, on the Pacifica the rear camera just gets really dirty,’when it’s wet you can’t see through it. On the S560 they are concealed within little doors so that’s way better.

I think it’s just how flat the back hatch is it gets really dirty back there.
Oh okay, that makes sense. Yeah flat back vehicles really suck with dirt buildup there lol
Old 01-14-24, 08:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It’s interesting because the other Pacificas we had didn’t have that issue, the new one is the refresh and that whole light bar where the camera is is different and now it’s a problem.
Old 01-15-24, 09:20 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Do tell how the "zero" a.k.a. hydrophilic coating holds up. Guessing it won't be "forever", but if it...lasts... even a single long trip (i.e. half a tank or more) in heavy rain, it should be worth it, given the ease of application.

Over here, Rainx is like the go to product.

Can buy it almost everywhere and is inexpensive and a bottle lasts forever(slight exaggeration).

However, I've never enjoyed using it because after it hazes up it has to be buffed out a lot or it streaks and smears like a MO. Lol

Last edited by Margate330; 01-15-24 at 09:32 AM.
Old 01-15-24, 09:28 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Oh okay, that makes sense. Yeah flat back vehicles really suck with dirt buildup there lol
that's why it's nice when the camera retracts/folds in when it's not in use
Old 01-15-24, 09:31 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Stroock639
that's why it's nice when the camera retracts/folds in when it's not in use
Leave it to Mercedes for the finishing touches.

​​​​​​They do it well.
Old 01-15-24, 10:35 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Liberty Walk Can Transform Your Autozam Into a Mini Ferrari F40

https://www.roadandtrack.com/news/a4...i-ferrari-f40/

For as long as there are sports car fans, people will long after the Ferrari F40. The 200-mph monster from Modena is a little out of reach for most enthusiasts, but the team at Liberty Walk might just have a reasonable solution. Thanks to a new body kit offering, customers can transform their much less expensive Autozam AZ-1 into a mini F40. Sort of.

The AZ-1 was a mid-engined kei car produced by Mazda under the Autozam banner from 1992 to 1994. While the car has become somewhat of a cult classic today, the AZ-1 fell a bit short of its Honda Beat and Suzuki Cappuccino rivals in terms of sales in-period. Only 4,392 units were built before production ended, whereas the other two sold in the tens of thousands. That wasn’t for a lack of style or performance, as the sports coupe comes powered by a turbocharged 657-cc engine, sourced from the Suzuki Alto. The sub-liter mill kicks out a healthy 63 hp and 63 lb-ft, and comes mated exclusively to a five-speed manual gearbox. One can’t forget to mention the butterfly doors, either. It’s a car that’s always had something of a “baby supercar” look about it

The team at Liberty Walk certainly caught on to the wedge-like proportions, crafting the new LB-WORKS LB40 AZ-1 body kit for the Autozam. The team is no stranger to the F40 shape in general, having built a radically modified example for display at last year’s Tokyo Auto Salon. This particular kit mirrors much of the style of that show car, with bolt-on arches and the modified wing setup.

The kit, shown off at this year's Auto Salon on Friday, includes a new front cowl, door panels, side skirts, rear fenders, a new rear wing, and rear bumper. Customers will also receive a set of canards for the front end, as well as a rear diffuser. You’ll be responsible for getting the lighting elements in place, as they aren’t included in the kit. That will set you back about $22,660. If you need the forged wheels to go along with the design, that’ll be another $14,300.

That’s a lot of money to spend trying to make one car look like another car, but an F40 is well into the seven-figure range. And besides, just look at the thing.
idk about everyone else but this is awesome to me!

original for comparison:

i've always thought it was a shame we don't get Kei cars over here, tbh i can't imagine them selling very well but i think they'd be a good thing for crowded cities
Old 01-15-24, 02:19 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Over here, Rainx is like the go to product.

Can buy it almost everywhere and is inexpensive and a bottle lasts forever(slight exaggeration).

However, I've never enjoyed using it because after it hazes up it has to be buffed out a lot or it streaks and smears like a MO. Lol
I like RainX. But you are right…hazes, streaks and smears is the drawback
Old 01-15-24, 06:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Just spent all day conquering the unplowed roads with 8.5” of snow in the LX. 8 inches is INSANITY for Knoxville.

Hasn’t showed this much since the Blizzard of 1993.

LX you basically just drive like normal, literally, and it’ll get you anywhere. I can’t even imagine this truck on off road tires. I blew away a few friends today who wanted to run around in it. Hit the gas, and it’ll pick right up like there’s no snow lol.

This picture ABOVE is the interstate right in the middle of downtown. Hardly any traffic. Really nasty out there.

It’s so bad out there that there are hardly any trucks on the road bc people know to stay in. We don’t have plows like northern cities. Schools/everything will be closed here the rest of the week.

I still can’t believe you just drive this truck like normal in 8 inches of snow. The 4WD, diff, and A-Trac combined keep you totally secure and in control. The immense weight of the truck also helps.

Last edited by AJT123; 01-15-24 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-15-24, 06:17 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Looks fun for you at least lol! Be careful out there man, other people won't be used to driving in that around your area.

Speaking of snow, right before this current weather pattern arrived I took the W12 out on a rainy day and it's been too cold to wash ever since......so I have just been dailying it with a spare floor mat. I don't really want to drive anything else now, I am getting way way way too used to how excellent of a package it is to the point I would need to have a drastically different car/experience to not be bothered by it.

In other news someone bought my VW Touareg, made me too good of an offer to refuse so I am ONCE AGAIN BACK IN THE JEEP. I just need to screw myself over and buy a Q7 from a lot somewhere so I don't have 1000s of potential profit margin in a car and so I am forced to just keep it lol! The new diesel is coming along well though, I got a hell of a good deal since the issues were very easy for me to find/fix. Oh and I also picked up a riced out IS300 as payment for fixing another car.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-15-24 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-15-24, 06:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Man you did have a lot of snow! I just got back from Ocean City, that was quite a drive, Not deep snow, but very slick and people around here don't know how to drive in the snow anymore. We probably have 4 inches at my house and roads were solidly snow covered all the way from Salisbury...the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was...interesting...Mercedes did great.

Just for grins, the Ocean City boardwalk in the snow:

Old 01-15-24, 07:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Wow that's a interesting sight to see snow at ocean city! Poor hood ornament lol! Glad to hear your drive went well, that's a lot of ice buildup on your front end man
Old 01-15-24, 07:05 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah, I can safely say I have never left Ocean City in a snowstorm lol, I can check that one off my list!
Old 01-15-24, 09:36 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

In other news someone bought my VW Touareg, made me too good of an offer to refuse so I am ONCE AGAIN BACK IN THE JEEP. I just need to screw myself over and buy a Q7 from a lot somewhere so I don't have 1000s of potential profit margin in a car and so I am forced to just keep it lol! The new diesel is coming along well though, I got a hell of a good deal since the issues were very easy for me to find/fix. Oh and I also picked up a riced out IS300 as payment for fixing another car.
Hey, money talks!

Now you have play money to get another car to mess with
Hoping for a thread on the IS300, always like your work.

Man you did have a lot of snow! I just got back from Ocean City, that was quite a drive, Not deep snow, but very slick and people around here don't know how to drive in the snow anymore. We probably have 4 inches at my house and roads were solidly snow covered all the way from Salisbury...the Chesapeake Bay Bridge was...interesting...Mercedes did great.

That looks slick as snot.

Ya'll please be careful driving in this weather!

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024