Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-24, 11:23 PM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Oh it drives totally fine, didn't even lose a parking sensor lol! Technially everything works other than the DRL accent light and headlight washer.

I'm still mad about it though and it reinforces my plan to keep the rare cars away from other people. I'm buying a 1 of 79 car next week so that one will also be on the banned list.
What is that going to be?
Old 06-16-24, 12:56 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
This road doesn't have any stretches where there's enough room and visibility to pass. Constant bends and peaks. And there was just enough traffic today that the odds of somebody coming around a corner were too great. I got around him after we turned into the next road.
over the years i've learned how flexible the definition for that can be as you progress to faster and faster cars lmao... with many of these really fast electric cars especially you just need the briefest, tiniest space in the road! these are the situations where you gotta downshift just before the corner exit, so you're already well into full boost the moment the road straightens out

as good as these modern engines are there's still ways to help even further reduce the turbo lag and get the best response, hopefully saving a great drive from potentially slipping away lol
Old 06-16-24, 03:49 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
In any event all you have to do is have it coded on. My intelligent lights are coded on.
Yep, I added the "anti-dazzle" function back to my laser lights. Haven't done much night driving yet to really get the full experience though.
Old 06-16-24, 05:48 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
your LC500 is a gas guzzler too. 18MPG LC500 compared to 15MPG Land Cruiser. At least the SUV has proper all wheel traction
odd comparison and put down of my lc, lol, but my point was THAT land cruiser with the giant tires, roof rack, etc., is likely to get terrible gas mileage.

but since we're comparing

not that i care since i don't do huge mileage, but i seem to get 21 no matter how i drive it but that's probably because it's a highway from my community to anywhere.

Originally Posted by Margate330
Scenic drives with cool mountain air, I wish we had that here in S Florida!
It rained for three days straight and cloudy all day today.
Sun will come out soon and so will the 100f temps. Lol
don't exaggerate. looks like s. fl about 89 today.

Wife didn't wreck the car thank goodness but clicked on a spam link from a spam Facebook message pretending to be her relative so I spent most of the day removing the malware and constant pop ups wanting a credit card for their ransom ware, like I don't already have enough work piled on me already. Lol
yikes... hopefully you have good (paid) antivirus on the computer, and backup.
Old 06-16-24, 05:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by link13
There is absolutely nothing practical about the LC500 and that is part of its magnificence.
HAHA, post of the day.
Old 06-16-24, 05:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Went out for a fun Saturday cruise in the mountains to get away from the heat. This picture is only about 40 miles from my house. Was having a lot of time on the winding mountain roads, the B58 just eats them up. Then some prude in a TRD Camry pulled out of a scenic turn-off and went 20 under the limit for the rest of the road, really killed the moment.
I hate that. There is a really cool road on my way to WV, RT 60 from 64 at Sam Black Church through Rupert and Rainelle, WV and it hooks up to RT 19 just north of the New River bridge. I can choose to get off there and take that to 19 or I can keep going on 64 and go through Beckley and come up 19 from south of the bridge. You used to have to go that way but they finished 64 in the 80s

That is an incredible drive through the mountains with fast switchbacks and big mountain grades with switchbacks. It’s a lot of fun in a good car. Issue is there are a TON of incredibly slow moving drivers who step out and ruin the fun. There are a lot of passing areas, but that can be very dramatic. So, sadly I rarely go that way.
Old 06-16-24, 06:48 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

So talking about the 7 Series, I was making a point on the MB forum and I pulled the sales figures and they really surprised me.

Many people here say the car is ugly and nobody likes it, its made for China etc...would it blow your mind to know that the G70 7 Series is the most successful 7 Series in generations?

For 2023 the S Class only outsold it by 500 units. In 2022 the S Class outsold it 3:1. so far in 2024 the 7 is outselling the S Class, which is extremely rare. In 2015 when both cars were new generations and the 7 was about as "traditionally appealing" as it has ever been, the S outsold it 2.5:1.

So, BMW's strategy with the style of this car is unquestionably working. I thgought I had started to see a surprising number of them on the roads.
Old 06-16-24, 06:51 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
HAHA, post of the day.
They are absolutely beautiful cars and I am glad you enjoy your LC.
Old 06-16-24, 07:39 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
They are absolutely beautiful cars and I am glad you enjoy your LC.
Totally agree. Second greatest Lexus of all time behind the LFA.

My top 3 Lexus models of all time:
#1 - LFA
#2 - LC 500
#3 - IS 500 (I'm biased here)
Old 06-16-24, 09:08 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

odd comparison and put down of my lc, lol, but my point was THAT land cruiser with the giant tires, roof rack, etc., is likely to get terrible gas mileage.

but since we're comparing

not that i care since i don't do huge mileage, but i seem to get 21 no matter how i drive it but that's probably because it's a highway from my community to anywhere.

don't exaggerate. looks like s. fl about 89 today.

yikes... hopefully you have good (paid) antivirus on the computer, and backup.

for some reason the LC500 loses a MPG in 2024

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-16-24 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-16-24, 09:11 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

So talking about the 7 Series, I was making a point on the MB forum and I pulled the sales figures and they really surprised me.

Many people here say the car is ugly and nobody likes it, its made for China etc...would it blow your mind to know that the G70 7 Series is the most successful 7 Series in generations?

For 2023 the S Class only outsold it by 500 units. In 2022 the S Class outsold it 3:1. so far in 2024 the 7 is outselling the S Class, which is extremely rare. In 2015 when both cars were new generations and the 7 was about as "traditionally appealing" as it has ever been, the S outsold it 2.5:1.

So, BMW's strategy with the style of this car is unquestionably working. I thgought I had started to see a surprising number of them on the roads.
you need to factor in the EQS sales when considering the S class.
Old 06-16-24, 12:00 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

so were you comparing u.s., or global sales figures? not surprised the 7 series is doing well. it's more luxurious than before, super roomy. powerful, yuuuge, appeals to its target market.
and not sure where you got anyone stating 'nobody likes it', obviously lots of people do! good for bmw.

for some reason the LC500 loses a MPG in 2024
must have been re-tested. don't care.

good point.
Old 06-16-24, 12:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I thought about that, I don’t believe that’s really the case. They’re two separate models, and the buyers don’t necessarily cross. The cars are in reality very different.

Even if you did though, the 7 is still much closer to the S and EQS sales than it has been in generations.

so were you comparing u.s., or global sales figures? not surprised the 7 series is doing well. it's more luxurious than before, super roomy. powerful, yuuuge, appeals to its target market.
and not sure where you got anyone stating 'nobody likes it', obviously lots of people do! good for bmw.
Those are just US sales.

Lots of people don’t like it and are very vocal about it. It’s interesting that it gets so much hate yet is out performing previous generations so much.
Old 06-16-24, 12:21 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

It's definitely received a lot of hate online compared to its predecessor. Must not be from people in the market for this segment.
Old 06-16-24, 12:22 PM
2GRXFTW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Maybe it speaks as to how badly previous gens were?

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024