Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-24, 09:01 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Cool? Replace the leaking gasket with another one that will leak again, vs RTV sealed methods that don't for 200k+ on other trucks and repaired Toyota rear ends.

But if you are going dealer then yeah they obviously won't do best practice but just what the book says.
Yes, as an engineer myself, the repair that I want done is to do it exactly by the book which would be to the original engineering specifications, which would indeed include a new gasket.
Old 06-18-24, 09:49 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
I don't think he's defending Honda, just saying that it's not just the fact that they went to r1234yf that caused this. It's that they didn't do their due diligence in designing a system that can work with it.
Honda corporate, the technician who I am on a first name basis with, and the service writer all told me that the refrigerant does cause the corrosion. The tech elaborated and said every time they change the refrigerant, they have issues with at least some Honda models. For this specific failure, it affects the Civic and CR-V. Accords, Oddysseys, etc. do not have the issue.
Old 06-18-24, 10:16 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Yes, as an engineer myself, the repair that I want done is to do it exactly by the book which would be to the original engineering specifications, which would indeed include a new gasket.
First rule of engineering, "never reinvent the wheel", at least that's what they drilled into me. Lol

However, replacing a gasket is something any grease monkey can do.

That's why on my car I used a gasket on my oil pan
Required less skill for me as a DIY. Lol

It came from the factory with Toyota FPIG sealer and I wasn't confident enough to use it and get it perfect the first time.
​​​​
Originally Posted by link13
Honda corporate, the technician who I am on a first name basis with, and the service writer all told me that the refrigerant does cause the corrosion. The tech elaborated and said every time they change the refrigerant, they have issues with at least some Honda models. For this specific failure, it affects the Civic and CR-V. Accords, Oddysseys, etc. do not have the issue.
Makes we wonder if they chose the wrong alloys in their design.
Old 06-18-24, 10:37 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Lifter/transmission issues
Cam phasers
Hemi tick

Those are 3 common issues from all of the Big 3.
And yet my engine isn't full of debris from machining.
Old 06-18-24, 11:30 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Probably was a total coincidence

The domestics are not unreliable. I know lots of people who operate domestic trucks in a fleet capacity, they're not problematic.
My work is full of fleet F150s and Silverados. Like many fleet vehicles they are swapped out for new models after around 4yrs or so.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Reliability and quality are very good. All those fleets out there using American trucks aren’t using unreliable vehicles. All those livery services operating the SUV versions of those trucks, same thing.

If I were shopping for a pickup or large SUV I wouldn’t even consider any Toyotas.
I actually know one small business company that has 2nd gen Tundras as company vehicles and I asked the owner about the choice and he simply stated they never give him any problems. My work actually has a few Tacomas (3.5 liter V6) and 4Runners. But the rest are Silverado and F150s with a small sprinkle or Ram 1500 and gas 3/4 ton Fords

Mine has 108,000 miles on it. It's had a starter failure and a leaky coolant pipe o-ring($10, 15 minute fix in my driveway). I've spent less than $600 on actual repairs in 7 years. All other maintenance has been regular scheduled maintenance.

If I had a time machine I'd make the same choice again.
My dad has a 2012 Coyote F150. I believe around 60-70k miles his electric steering went out. Luckily it was under extended warranty. I want to say it was like a $1100-$1200 repair if I’m not mistaken. You wouldn’t believe the maintenance I didn’t do in my 2nd gen Tundra. I’m more of a if it break then I fix/replace than a preventative maintenance person. Oil, gas and filters and let it ride!!

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Quality of the domestics is very good. Reliability is terrible for all of them. But, domestics are heavily discounted so it’s possible that taking the discount and pocketing the money and then rolling the dice might
work. Tundra has a lot of corner cutting, auto 4WD debuted in the late 90s and it’s now 2024
This is why I think you see so many domestic fleet sales.

Originally Posted by swajames
it does indeed! I can appreciate a good exhaust note as much as I appreciate not having one. I had aftermarket (and barely legal) exhausts on a few of my cars, but mine are all stock now. If there's one car I regret selling it's my V8 F Type which absolutely must have been 100% illegal despite being stock. One of the loudest cars I've driven, and it had a fantastic note.
Only way I can like your post!!

And yet my engine isn't full of debris from machining.
Thankfully the NA V8 @JDR76 has in his current 2.5 gen Tundra is free of debris as well. The biggest knock on the 5.7 is it’s thirsty especially when you start adding a lift and bigger wheels and tires.
Old 06-19-24, 02:42 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

What's so hard about RTV other than having to wait for it to dry?
Old 06-19-24, 05:45 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Everybody has a story, but the bottom line is companies wouldn’t depend on domestic trucks if they were unreliable. They’re not.
Old 06-19-24, 06:25 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

My work is full of fleet F150s and Silverados. Like many fleet vehicles they are swapped out for new models after around 4yrs or so.

I actually know one small business company that has 2nd gen Tundras as company vehicles and I asked the owner about the choice and he simply stated they never give him any problems. My work actually has a few Tacomas (3.5 liter V6) and 4Runners. But the rest are Silverado and F150s with a small sprinkle or Ram 1500 and gas 3/4 ton Fords

My dad has a 2012 Coyote F150. I believe around 60-70k miles his electric steering went out. Luckily it was under extended warranty. I want to say it was like a $1100-$1200 repair if I’m not mistaken. You wouldn’t believe the maintenance I didn’t do in my 2nd gen Tundra. I’m more of a if it break then I fix/replace than a preventative maintenance person. Oil, gas and filters and let it ride!!

This is why I think you see so many domestic fleet sales.

Only way I can like your post!!

Thankfully the NA V8 @JDR76 has in his current 2.5 gen Tundra is free of debris as well. The biggest knock on the 5.7 is it’s thirsty especially when you start adding a lift and bigger wheels and tires.
Toyota simply does not compete well in the work truck and fleet segments, and Toyota knows this. There is almost no reason to buy a fleet of Tundras. There is no regular cab, no 2500 HD models etc etc. Tundra also lacks a basic engine as well. Your gen Tundra Toyota tried hard to get into the work truck segment and it didn’t work. I remember in 2006 they were the infrastructure shows and trade shows trying to bring awareness. Toyota also doesn’t compete anywhere near the top end of the off road trucks, TRD Pro is nowhere near the Raptor or the RAM equivalent. Maybe close to the GM but I’m not sure. Toyota targets a specific buyer and they do well doing that.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-19-24 at 08:27 AM.
Old 06-19-24, 06:31 AM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 184 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Toyota simply does not compete well in the work truck and fleet segments, and Toyota knows this. There is almost no reason to buy a fleet of Tundras. There is no regular cab, no 2500 HD models etc etc. Tundra also lacks a basic engine as well. Your gen Tundra Toyota tried hard to get into the work truck segment and it didn’t work. I remember in 2006 they were the infrastructure shows and trade shows trying to bring awareness. Toyota also doesn’t compete anywhere near the top end of the off road trucks, TRD Pro is nowhere near the Raptor or the RAM equivalent. Maybe close to the GM but I’m not sure. Toyota targets a specific buyer and they do well doing t that.
Like your post!!

I bet a 2nd gen regular cab Tundra with a blower is a fun truck. Those blown single cab Coyotes scoot!!
Old 06-19-24, 06:45 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Like your post!!

I bet a 2nd gen regular cab Tundra with a blower is a fun truck. Those blown single cab Coyotes scoot!!
Yup. So much so that Ford has taken notice, and while 4wd costs $3800 on nearly every version of the F150, if you get an XL single cab shortbed with the 5.0, the price jumps to $5015.
Old 06-19-24, 08:15 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
That. Literally exactly that. It's slower and requires a better machine to apply vs slapping a gasket on
Old 06-19-24, 08:58 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Just the sound alone, couldn’t care less how fast the 6 cylinder other SUVs are.
Old 06-19-24, 10:32 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Lwerewolf
Waiting for it to dry is the easy part.

Beading a gasket by hand is harder than slapping one on out of a box, IMO.

I like gaskets because I don't trust my hand made gasket making skills yet.

I've done it a couple times with success but still makes me nervous of having to do the job again if I don't get it right and it leaks.
Old 06-19-24, 10:50 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Margate330
Waiting for it to dry is the easy part.

Beading a gasket by hand is harder than slapping one on out of a box, IMO.

I like gaskets because I don't trust my hand made gasket making skills yet.

I've done it a couple times with success but still makes me nervous of having to do the job again if I don't get it right and it leaks.
I secured a low pressure oil cooler return line with JB Weld. The engine is still on a stand. Wish me luck?
Old 06-19-24, 11:11 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by link13
I secured a low pressure oil cooler return line with JB Weld. The engine is still on a stand. Wish me luck?
Wishing you success friend!

I use a lot of JB Weld for work but nothing I use it for is under pressure, only to keep very small precision parts in place.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024