Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-24, 11:31 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
LX570 has a nice powertrain. But full-time 4WD is so good, so it’s not just the engine. Personally I think the 2UZ is superior but full time 4WD has to be coupled with it.

Day 50 with no rain, almost died 15 times on my way to work because I'm running in *GASP* 2WD. THE HORROR.

Old 06-19-24, 11:52 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

But full-time 4WD is so good, so it’s not just the engine. Personally I think the 2UZ is superior but full time 4WD has to be coupled with it
Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
Day 50 with no rain, almost died 15 times on my way to work because I'm running in *GASP* 2WD. THE HORROR.

Trust me....Jill faces FAR different conditions in upstate NY and Ontario/Canada, particularly in the winter, than you do in Nevada.
Old 06-19-24, 12:07 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

You're driving in the wrong side of the road! 🧐

Those roads look like cake to drive on.
Old 06-19-24, 12:13 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Margate330
You're driving in the wrong side of the road! 🧐

Those roads look like cake to drive on.
It's a parkway so I'm in the hammer lane, was passing somebody as I took this pic(part of why it's so blurry and unfocused).

Conditions vary across North America, and having options because of that is great. Most truck owners will never need full-time 4WD. I like only spinning the rear wheels when I'm not off-roading it. I engage 4wd once a month just to keep everything lubricated up front.
Old 06-19-24, 01:18 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

It's a parkway so I'm in the hammer lane, was passing somebody as I took this pic(part of why it's so blurry and unfocused).

Conditions vary across North America, and having options because of that is great. Most truck owners will never need full-time 4WD. I like only spinning the rear wheels when I'm not off-roading it. I engage 4wd once a month just to keep everything lubricated up front.
This was true in my case.

I used the 4x4 maybe only two or three times.
And, the times I used it I didn't really NEED it, I just took risks I normally wouldn't take in a 2WD.

Such as a Uturn in a highway median.
The tall grass was hiding the fact that the water was at the bottom of my door deep and swampy.

My tires started spinning as I said oh (put curse word here). Haha

Switched to 4x4 and slowly crawled out
Yeah, I was young and dumb.
Old 06-19-24, 08:18 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

there is this experience that it provides that I really like. I’ve had it for more than 30 years plus dating back to early 90s. Having permanent traction at the front and permanent traction at the back is just awesome. Split about 30/70 but is variable as you make turns. stop and then turn is slightly different in traction. All on dry pavement you can feel the grip. And then you have gravel roads roads of some light gravel on the corners as you turn. Snow sleet. Rain light rain. I’ve had a number of small boats and trailers over my life, and just knowing that your front axle and your rear axle both have traction is reassuring compared to rear wheel drive. And with 4Runner, there is no penalty to take it, it has the same MPG. Also less parts to fail. Toyota has this automatic disconnecting differential at the front, a lot of people aren’t aware of it, this is there part time design. Many of the parts still have friction and are still moving so you might as well get the full time. . They’re they just disconnected and the propeller. And when you lock it, you have the equivalent of a two wheel drive shifting into four-wheel-drive part times system. I am just surprised you have such an aversion to it. But it’s all good

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 06-20-24 at 04:20 AM.
Old 06-19-24, 09:04 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

there is this experience that it provides that I really like. I’ve had it for more than 30 years plus dating back to early 90s. Having permanent traction at the front and permanent traction at the back is just awesome. Split about 30/70 but is variable as you make turns. stop and then turn is slightly different in traction. All on dry pavement you can feel the grip. And then you have gravel roads roads of some light gravel on the corners as you turn. Snow sleet. Rain light rain. I’ve had a number of small boats and trailers over my life, and just knowing that your front axle and your rear axle both have traction is reassuring compared to rear wheel drive. And with 4Runner, there is no penalty to take it, it has the same MPG. Also less parts to fail. Toyota has this automatic disconnecting differential at the front, a lot of people aren’t aware of it. Many of the parts still have friction and are still moving. They’re they just disconnected and the propeller. And when you lock it, you have the equivalent of a two wheel drive shifting into four-wheel-drive part times system. I am just surprised you have such an aversion to it. But it’s all good
I agree with you, I always liked the full time 4WD of both of my GX’s, gave me confidence all the time whether it’s good weather or bad weather but my tires also made a big difference too.
Old 06-20-24, 12:47 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

there is this experience that it provides that I really like. I’ve had it for more than 30 years plus dating back to early 90s. Having permanent traction at the front and permanent traction at the back is just awesome. Split about 30/70 but is variable as you make turns. stop and then turn is slightly different in traction. All on dry pavement you can feel the grip. And then you have gravel roads roads of some light gravel on the corners as you turn. Snow sleet. Rain light rain. I’ve had a number of small boats and trailers over my life, and just knowing that your front axle and your rear axle both have traction is reassuring compared to rear wheel drive. And with 4Runner, there is no penalty to take it, it has the same MPG. Also less parts to fail. Toyota has this automatic disconnecting differential at the front, a lot of people aren’t aware of it. Many of the parts still have friction and are still moving. They’re they just disconnected and the propeller. And when you lock it, you have the equivalent of a two wheel drive shifting into four-wheel-drive part times system. I am just surprised you have such an aversion to it. But it’s all good
Lol. You still never looked into how the system works on Toyotas, it's not nearly as good as you think it is
Old 06-20-24, 04:25 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

i have driven numerous 'awd' and '4wd' vehicles. they all seem the same to me in terms of traction. of course i wasn't on some contrived lethal 'off road' situation.

Old 06-20-24, 04:49 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,433 Likes on 1,595 Posts

seriously impressive car mod machining shop.

Old 06-20-24, 05:15 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
i have driven numerous 'awd' and '4wd' vehicles. they all seem the same to me in terms of traction. of course i wasn't on some contrived lethal 'off road' situation.
Tires and tire PSIs probably make the biggest difference in traction.
Old 06-20-24, 07:43 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Lol. You still never looked into how the system works on Toyotas, it's not nearly as good as you think it is
IDK my friend, it snowed 10 inches here and about a million 4x4s were stuck.... not mine. I didn't even have to use gadgets, just the regular diff setup. Never needed to lock it.

Old 06-20-24, 07:45 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

there is this experience that it provides that I really like. I’ve had it for more than 30 years plus dating back to early 90s. Having permanent traction at the front and permanent traction at the back is just awesome. Split about 30/70 but is variable as you make turns. stop and then turn is slightly different in traction. All on dry pavement you can feel the grip. And then you have gravel roads roads of some light gravel on the corners as you turn. Snow sleet. Rain light rain. I’ve had a number of small boats and trailers over my life, and just knowing that your front axle and your rear axle both have traction is reassuring compared to rear wheel drive. And with 4Runner, there is no penalty to take it, it has the same MPG. Also less parts to fail. Toyota has this automatic disconnecting differential at the front, a lot of people aren’t aware of it, this is there part time design. Many of the parts still have friction and are still moving so you might as well get the full time. . They’re they just disconnected and the propeller. And when you lock it, you have the equivalent of a two wheel drive shifting into four-wheel-drive part times system. I am just surprised you have such an aversion to it. But it’s all good
Accurate. You can feel it even on dry pavement. I am also VERY pleasantly surprised that I don't eat through tires, at all because of it. That can be a drawback.
Old 06-20-24, 07:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

AWD vehicles are way more sure footed. Make a right turn and pin the throttle on my S560 and do the same thing in the RWD LS460L I had and the difference would be huge...the S560 has no wheelspin and all grip even having 100 more HP and 150 more ft/lbs of torque.

For on road driving AWD is all you need. If you are driving somewhere in deep snow or really loose terrain the ability to lock the transfer case on a 4WD vehicle is important.
Old 06-20-24, 08:24 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

When I don't need 4 wheels turning, I want 2 wheels turning. I don't want my front axle spinning, I don't want the front driveshaft spinning. I can get 20 MPG highway which would be impossible with full-time 4WD.

Never really struggled when it rains as long as I'm reasonable with the throttle. I'll use 4WD on the rare event I'm driving in snow where it's too difficult to move forward in 2WD(I generally spend the Christmas holiday in Utah). Otherwise I just use 4WD on trails and through sand, or if I need low range to pull trees/stumps out of the ground on our property.

Last edited by FrankReynoldsCPA; 06-20-24 at 08:28 AM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1