Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-24, 05:32 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
Do you think tire technology may have played a role in that? What kind of tires did you run on those old LS’s?
Maybe some, but really it’s the skid control. You turn that off and it again becomes undribavle.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Your first Pacifica was FWD, and seemed to have done pretty well with it. As I understand it, though, the Pacifica Hybrid is AWD.

Your Lexus ES was also FWD....I never heard you complain about it on slick roads.
All my Pacificas have been FWD, hate the FWD on all of them and the ES. Lights the front tires up at a stoplight in the rain even. None of those vehicles is/were great in the snow.

We were talking about the Chrysler Fifth Avenue, check out what Bill from Curious Cars just dropped. My dads was this same color but with a light gray interior. His was an 87 that had no driver airbag.

Old 06-20-24, 06:11 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

We were talking about the Chrysler Fifth Avenue, check out what Bill from Curious Cars just dropped. My dads was this same color but with a light gray interior. His was an 87 that had no driver airbag.
As I understand, this is the last vestige of RWD pre-Iacocca Chryslers. I think these were built off the same basic platform that the old Aspen and Volare were built off of.
Old 06-20-24, 06:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

As I understand, this is the last vestige of RWD pre-Iacocca Chryslers. I think these were built off the same basic platform that the old Aspen and Volare were built off of.
Yep.....The Volare/Aspen chassis spawned the Dodge Diplomat, Plymouth Gran Fury, Chrysler (RWD) Lebanon, Chrysler Fifth Avenue, and early-80s Chrysler New Yorker.
Old 06-20-24, 06:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

All my Pacificas have been FWD, hate the FWD on all of them and the ES. Lights the front tires up at a stoplight in the rain even. None of those vehicles is/were great in the snow.

https://youtu.be/KFZeYXafBQ8?si=xF28h-glVxsUwrSp
Yep.....airbags did not become widespread until the mid-1990s, when they were first federally required.

Those post-Volare/Aspen RWD Chryslers were nice cars, but not particularly well-assembled. Still, better than their FWD replacements. I had a 1983 K-car-based/FWD Chrysler Lebaron that was impressively plush inside and out from a comfort standpoint, and I loved the crystal Pentastar hood ornament. But, mechanically, the car was a piece of junk....one of the most unreliable cars I ever owned. I only kept it a year and traded it on a new '84 Mazda.
Old 06-21-24, 05:51 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

A few things to note from the Fifth Avenue.

-that row of single window buttons is an ergonomic disaster, how are you supposed to know which window your pressing?!
-it has a power seat bottom but manual recline.
-that landau top covering the quarter windows in the back is a disgrace, and it reduces visibility.
-that interior is over-the-top and looks like it’s stuck in the 70s, but I like it. Casket pull handles. And they’re hinged! Big plush leather seats with buttons in the middle. It seems weird seeing an airbag in an interior that looks like that.
-I love the pentastar hood ornament and the way it sparkles. The gauges look pretty at night too.
Old 06-21-24, 06:47 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yep.....airbags did not become widespread until the mid-1990s, when they were first federally required.

Those post-Volare/Aspen RWD Chryslers were nice cars, but not particularly well-assembled. Still, better than their FWD replacements. I had a 1983 K-car-based/FWD Chrysler Lebaron that was impressively plush inside and out from a comfort standpoint, and I loved the crystal Pentastar hood ornament. But, mechanically, the car was a piece of junk....one of the most unreliable cars I ever owned. I only kept it a year and traded it on a new '84 Mazda.
The K cars were a real bonifide POS.
They didn't age well at all.

Saw a gazillion of them on the roads and the buy here-pay here car lots loved them because you could buy them for almost nothing.

Cheap transportation, if you could keep it running. Haha
Old 06-21-24, 06:51 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

K cars did used to be EVERYWHERE.
Old 06-21-24, 06:54 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by AJT123
Yes sir.
And another favorite for the buy here-pay here lots were the Pontiac 6000.

It was a sad excuse of a car but must've saw a thousand of them with big shiny silver stickers on the trunk lid, Buy Here Pay Here. Haha. 😂
Old 06-21-24, 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

A few things to note from the Fifth Avenue.

-that row of single window buttons is an ergonomic disaster, how are you supposed to know which window your pressing?!
-it has a power seat bottom but manual recline.
-that landau top covering the quarter windows in the back is a disgrace, and it reduces visibility.
-that interior is over-the-top and looks like it’s stuck in the 70s, but I like it. Casket pull handles. And they’re hinged! Big plush leather seats with buttons in the middle. It seems weird seeing an airbag in an interior that looks like that.
-I love the pentastar hood ornament and the way it sparkles. The gauges look pretty at night too.
And whats funnier about the row of buttons is the buttons at the top are the rear windows! What sense does that make? LOL.

The steering wheel without the airbag also had a crystal chrysler emblem

I remember when I was a kid I used to sit between my Mom and Dad in the middle seat...really enjoyable watching that video, and that car is almost certainly the nicest Fifth Avenue in the country,
Old 06-21-24, 07:41 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Speaking of questionable quality pentastar products, there is a mint 1 owner 1987 Reliant K for sale near me. I'm tempted to buy it and build out a 2.5 to the limit or K swap it or something stupid like that....

A 2000lb car is a death trap but it can be stupid fun
Old 06-21-24, 07:48 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Originally Posted by AJT123
I was born in 94. So by the time I was old enough to pay attention to cars most of the original K cars had been crushed. There was still plenty of the early 90s versions though, the Dodge Spirit, Dynasty, Chrysler Lebaron, New Yorker, and the Plymouth Acclaim.

That steering wheel looks much nicer than the airbag one. I bet that interior looked nicer in light gray.
Old 06-21-24, 09:09 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Striker223
Speaking of questionable quality pentastar products, there is a mint 1 owner 1987 Reliant K for sale near me. I'm tempted to buy it and build out a 2.5 to the limit or K swap it or something stupid like that....

A 2000lb car is a death trap but it can be stupid fun
Unless it has collector value I don't know about, it's worth about $500 no matter how much money you put into it.

It could be fun but also a money pit. 🤓
Old 06-21-24, 10:42 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

A guy I used to be friends with bought a 1986 Chrysler New Yorker about 7 years ago and had to pay someone to eventually make it go away.
Old 06-21-24, 11:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

had to run a couple of errands today and decided to take the LC. got some love on the route.

stopped one place a huge van pulled in behind. driver was out of the vehicle when i got out and he said "that's the prettiest car on the road." then he said "and sounds awesome too". i laughed and said thanks.

then went to my barber for only the second time recently after years of break due to covid and just using clippers myself... and we were talking cars and i said "yeah, i'm driving my 'covid car' today... got it because wasn't sure what the future held during the dark days there or if we'd have another, worse, pandemic in the future." he wanted to see it so we went out and he had no idea what it was, but was drooling over it, haha.

then pulled up to a light and two guys on huge custom harleys were next to me and one yelled at me (not mad) and i opened the window. he said "you wanna do a trade?" i laughed and he said "that's great how many horsepower?!" i told him and off i zoomed with some cracking shifts.
Old 06-21-24, 11:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

And whats funnier about the row of buttons is the buttons at the top are the rear windows! What sense does that make? LOL.

The steering wheel without the airbag also had a crystal chrysler emblem

I remember when I was a kid I used to sit between my Mom and Dad in the middle seat...really enjoyable watching that video, and that car is almost certainly the nicest Fifth Avenue in the country,
‘I like the seats

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1