Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-24, 08:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
He looks like a Peter to me lol

I name stuff like that ordinary names and it drives my kids NUTS. They'll want to name a stuffed animal "Pooty mcRainbowcloud" and I'll say "No, I think he looks more like a Sean to me" lol
I/we do that too. We even name vape pens and remote controls, it's absurd but just how we are. Naming cars are a given, though. My friend who sells 6 figure cars tells me I'm stupid for doing that, what a loser.

LX570= DJ
SL500= Melania
LS430= Ole 'Faithful (like the geyser)
Denali= Elvira
Old 06-28-24, 09:02 AM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I/we do that too. We even name vape pens and remote controls, it's absurd but just how we are. Naming cars are a given, though. My friend who sells 6 figure cars tells me I'm stupid for doing that, what a loser.
I wouldn’t call your friend a looser if he sells 6 figure cars from living! I’m not one to name cars. But yours have some pretty good ones.
Old 06-28-24, 09:07 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I wouldn’t call your friend a looser if he sells 6 figure cars from living! I’m not one to name cars. But yours have some pretty good ones.
Oh I’m just breaking his *****, how we talk to e.o.

And thanks! We call the Mercedes “Mel” for short.

Old 06-28-24, 09:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I don't personally name cars, except for one. My first car, it was a Ford Explorer Limited and I named it "Ted". Thats the only name that has ever stuck.
Old 06-28-24, 09:50 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

LX570= DJ
SL500= Melania
LS430= Ole 'Faithful (like the geyser)
Denali= Elvira
I've never named a car because I'm not good at naming things.

But, you seem good at it, those are some good ones there.
Old 06-28-24, 11:43 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

I want to get some opinions here. I put my deposit down and configured my Cayenne but I still have a week to decide on some of my options. We are doing black exterior and black interior (I know, boring but that’s what my wife likes because she said white is too girly in this car and it’s her car, go figure).

We were at the dealer yesterday hoping to sit in the 18 way vs the 14 way seats and just our luck, no 18 ways were there. However, they did have the red interior and my wife thought it looked pretty good so now we are considering it. I’ve had the rioja red interior in our IS350 before and liked it so it’s not the first red interior for us but where I am hesitant is that the red doesn’t wrap around the edge of the seats and it’s black instead. Also not sure I feel about the red on the lower part of the dash.

I would love to get black interior with red stitching but that stitching is a $4k option, no thanks.

What are your personal thoughts?

Last edited by patgilm; 06-28-24 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-28-24, 11:56 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
I want to get some opinions here. I put my deposit down and configured my Cayenne but I still have a week to decide on some of my options. We are doing black exterior and black interior (I know, boring but that’s what my wife likes because she said white is too girly in this car and it’s her car, go figure).

We were at the dealer yesterday hoping to sit in the 18 way vs the 14 way seats and just our luck, no 18 ways were there. However, they did have the red interior and my wife thought it looked pretty good so now we are considering it. I’ve had the rioja red interior in our IS350 before and liked it so it’s not the first red interior for us but where I am hesitant is that the red doesn’t wrap around the edge of the seats and it’s black instead. Also not sure I feel about the red on the lower part of the dash.

I would love to get black interior with red stitching but that stitching is a $4k option, no thanks.

What are your personal thoughts?

I think the red looks good. The dash part too. Definitely better than black on black IMO
Old 06-28-24, 12:02 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

I think it looks good too. I say go for the red.

Old 06-28-24, 12:09 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

I say go for the red too. Actually, having some black trim on the seats keeps things from getting too red. The contrast looks good to my eye.
Old 06-28-24, 12:21 PM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Not going to weigh in on the color, but I would recommend the 18 way seats if you don't mind a snug fit. We like our 14 ways but loved the 18s in a loaner we once had.
Old 06-28-24, 12:23 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I vote to go for the red! The Porsche red leather is great.

My S560 is finally done, picked it up. The S580 should be here tomorrow, targeting delivery late tomorrow or Sunday. Definitely bittersweet, I am excited about the new one but I will miss this one, its been a great car. I hope I enjoy the new one as much as I did this one.
Old 06-28-24, 12:23 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I think your wife should decide.

But if you want my personal opinion, I do not like red interiors. I prefer gray or tan. But I would choose black over red.
Old 06-28-24, 12:24 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 191 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I say go for the red too. Actually, having some black trim on the seats keeps things from getting too red. The contrast looks good to my eye.
I agree. That interior has a nice balance of black/red. That's a subdued shade of red too.

I remember BMW had a red interior (Coral Red) that was too much. E90 gen I believe. It wasn't ugly per se but that bright red dominated the interior.
Old 06-28-24, 12:28 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I think the red looks good. The dash part too. Definitely better than black on black IMO
Originally Posted by LH1
I think it looks good too. I say go for the red.
Originally Posted by LexBob2
Thanks, that is helpful. The contrast with the black is just a little different than what I am used to. The red in the pics are a little brighter than they look in person. It's actually a decent color of red.

Originally Posted by TheRas900
Not going to weigh in on the color, but I would recommend the 18 way seats if you don't mind a snug fit. We like our 14 ways but loved the 18s in a loaner we once had.
This is helpful too. We are flying down to Orlando in a couple hours and will be there for the week and I saw that the Porsche dealer down there has one Cayenne with the 18 way seats so we will try and sit in them to test out. Seems online its a split of who likes the 14 vs. 18 way seats so we really need to sit in them to make a decision. I know my wife likes the 14 ways but she might like the 18 ways better if we could actually sit in them. I personally like a snug fit and squeeze the bolsters in my X7 when I drive it so I know I would like it but it's really my wife's decision. The only downside to the 18 ways are no massage function but we are okay with that.
Old 06-28-24, 12:33 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I vote to go for the red! The Porsche red leather is great.

My S560 is finally done, picked it up. The S580 should be here tomorrow, targeting delivery late tomorrow or Sunday. Definitely bittersweet, I am excited about the new one but I will miss this one, its been a great car. I hope I enjoy the new one as much as I did this one.
Can't wait to hear about the S580 tomorrow. Keep us posted.

Originally Posted by Carfan94
I think your wife should decide.

But if you want my personal opinion, I do not like red interiors. I prefer gray or tan. But I would choose black over red.
She is torn between the two as well but yes she will be deciding at the end of the day with some input from me. I was just curious what others thought.

Originally Posted by LH1
I agree. That interior has a nice balance of black/red. That's a subdued shade of red too.

I remember BMW had a red interior (Coral Red) that was too much. E90 gen I believe. It wasn't ugly per se but that bright red dominated the interior.
It is actually more subdued than the pics show. The newer Lexus IS red interior is a little to bright for me but the shade of red here looks pretty good.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1