Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-24, 10:07 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,240 Likes on 924 Posts

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
I get what you are saying. But why did you get the 1794 if such a work truck?
You can still work out of something nice if you are careful enough, takes more effort but carpet type mats are just way too involved if you are working no matter how careful you are.
Old 06-29-24, 11:54 PM
Stroock639
Lexus Test Driver

Received 243 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Full new! 564 miles on it. It was the F1 race in Miami in May not Vegas, that makes more sense. This was in the glove box, pretty cool!

So far its incredible. You wouldn't think the ride and drive could be better than my 2020 but it is, and quieter. I measured 57 dB on the stretch of 270 I always test on, the S560 was 59 as was the LS460L. It is shockingly silent. Ride is great...will post a thread...

Process at the dealer was great, quick...
congrats steve the car (and color) is beautiful! when the first photos of this gen were released online i wasn't entirely sold, but now that i've seen and driven alongside a bunch of them it absolutely does have that full S-class presence... the ONLY thing i'm still not convinced on is the very frontal view where benz seems to have followed the silly current trend of make the grille bigger and the headlights smaller, seeing it next to the S560 the W222 still seems more "i've arrived!" than the newer one from that angle

that makes me happy to hear this one is even quieter so the S-class is at least still ever making progress as a car lol, do you think it could just be down to the tires? do you know how the drag coefficient compares to the old car?
Old 06-30-24, 03:23 AM
TheRas900
Intermediate

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
Spectacular! Congrats, Steve! Absolutely love it.
Agree, the car and backstory are awesome! Enjoy!!
Old 06-30-24, 03:59 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 295 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex

1st week after getting the ‘08 my son 🤮 on the rear carpet mat. With the all weathers in new truck I feel little more at ease with kids in the back.
This made me laugh a little, same happened to me in my old Durango on the way home from a trip. It was everywhere but the all weather mats were easy to clean. I remember how hard it was to clean the throw up on the carpet where the mats didn’t cover and I had to disassemble the back part of the center console to clean out the a/c vents because it got inside them too.
Old 06-30-24, 04:30 AM
BlueIS05
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts

Congrats on the beautiful new S-Class! I can't wait to spend similar quality time with my new addition in the coming days.
Old 06-30-24, 05:27 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by BlueIS05
Congrats on the beautiful new S-Class! I can't wait to spend similar quality time with my new addition in the coming days.
Can’t wait to see it, best color combo IMO. Congrats to you too, did you order it or did you have to find it at a dealer somewhere?
Old 06-30-24, 05:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Thanks all!

Originally Posted by Stroock639
congrats steve the car (and color) is beautiful! when the first photos of this gen were released online i wasn't entirely sold, but now that i've seen and driven alongside a bunch of them it absolutely does have that full S-class presence... the ONLY thing i'm still not convinced on is the very frontal view where benz seems to have followed the silly current trend of make the grille bigger and the headlights smaller, seeing it next to the S560 the W222 still seems more "i've arrived!" than the newer one from that angle
Thanks! Yeah I still prefer the 222 from the direct front and the direct rear, but overall I agree it has grown on me a lot.

that makes me happy to hear this one is even quieter so the S-class is at least still ever making progress as a car lol, do you think it could just be down to the tires? do you know how the drag coefficient compares to the old car?
Its more than just the tires. The weatherstripping is a very strange material that is almost like a crush washer...and it has a lip to seal around the door, I will take a picture of it. They also injected foam into a lot of the body cavities. Its REALLY quiet... drag coefficient is like .22, W222 was .23. it was super windy yesterday and even in a strong crosswind wind noise is a very distant thing

Base Burmester audio is also much better than the base Burmester in the 560. I don't feel a need to reinstall my sub,
Old 06-30-24, 05:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Thanks all!

Thanks! Yeah I still prefer the 222 from the direct front and the direct rear, but overall I agree it has grown on me a lot.

Its more than just the tires. The weatherstripping is a very strange material that is almost like a crush washer...and it has a lip to seal around the door, I will take a picture of it. They also injected foam into a lot of the body cavities. Its REALLY quiet... drag coefficient is like .22, W222 was .23. it was super windy yesterday and even in a strong crosswind wind noise is a very distant thing

Base Burmester audio is also much better than the base Burmester in the 560. I don't feel a need to reinstall my sub,
I do still like the looks of the W223 better but I like the color of the new one better. For some reason I think the S class looks better in a darker color, looks more stately or something.

Also, how much is the upgraded Burmeister? Usually when I lease I try and load up my cars but the Porsche Burmeister is $6k, that’s too much and I haven’t figured out whether I’m leasing or not since I won’t know the rates until I get my car in 4 months.

The other thing I didn’t know about is my salesman said that you can’t just load up a Porsche for a lease, there is a limit to the MSRP for the residual and if you go over you have to pay monthly for the difference. Makes some sense since you could get out of control with options but I have never heard of that.
Old 06-30-24, 05:37 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

So I got the interior dialed in, got the windows all cleaned, coated the glass with Glaco, hit it with a coat of DIY Detail Ceramic Gloss, got the air pressures set to 34...I'm done for the night. I will go take a lot of good pictures tomorrow. Needs tint for sure lol

The active ambient lighting is hilarious, I love it lol

I ordered a color matched spoiler like the old one had. It definitely needs the spoiler IMO

Neat little touch

The S Class is beautiful both inside and put. What % tint are you going with?
Old 06-30-24, 06:10 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Ambient lighting is so crazy lol
Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
Haha. I thought you were done for the night. That pic looks sic
he was so excited he went out in his pj's and no shoes at midnight

did you uninstall the add-on sub in your trade-in?

new car looks awesome.

Originally Posted by patgilm
For some reason I think the S class looks better in a darker color, looks more stately or something.
agreed. perhsps it's all those diplomatic and celeb s-classes we see.

Old 06-30-24, 06:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
I do still like the looks of the W223 better but I like the color of the new one better. For some reason I think the S class looks better in a darker color, looks more stately or something.

Also, how much is the upgraded Burmeister? Usually when I lease I try and load up my cars but the Porsche Burmeister is $6k, that’s too much and I haven’t figured out whether I’m leasing or not since I won’t know the rates until I get my car in 4 months.

The other thing I didn’t know about is my salesman said that you can’t just load up a Porsche for a lease, there is a limit to the MSRP for the residual and if you go over you have to pay monthly for the difference. Makes some sense since you could get out of control with options but I have never heard of that.
Its $6,500 and you hardly ever find it on the lot. When you do its on a car that is optioned over $150k I've never even heard it, which is for the best lol.

Its already such an expensive car, the fact that I'm driving a $140,000 car is mind boggling to me, I don't want it to me $150k or $160k...until next time I guess haha.

This system is very similar to the ML I had in my LS460L, so this will suit me fine. Its 16 speakers and does have 3 speakers in the roof, 710 watts. No sub in the parcel shelf but there are two subs under the dash. There is actually an amazing personal sound profile you create where you choose the volume of specific types of sounds and the feel you want out of the bass and it makes a huge difference.

Color, I like them in dark colors too although I do like the white. Its different and it stands out on the road. I'm happy to have something that looks deep and glossy when its clean though.

Originally Posted by LexBob2
The S Class is beautiful both inside and put. What % tint are you going with?
Thanks! 40%, same as I had in the last car. I like to keep it legal. S Classes have IR rejecting glass which creates a mirrored look when they are tinted so the tint always looks way darker. 40% you can't see inside hardly at all. I'm going back and forth about tinting the windshield...he does that in a 70% ceramic...I've never done that before but have always thought about it...

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
he was so excited he went out in his pj's and no shoes at midnight
HAHA, I was wondering if anybody would notice that. I did have flip flops on! I just left them outside so I wouldn't track the carpets up.

did you uninstall the add-on sub in your trade-in?
Yeah I have it, I'm sure somebody will buy it on FB marketplace for $300 or so if I don't use it (does anybody here want it? Its heavy it would be expensive to ship). Its a nice JL Audio AIO amp and sub, it was about $1,000.

new car looks awesome.
Thanks!
Old 06-30-24, 06:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,633 Posts

so what was it in the end that swayed you to the s-class over the bmw 7? not important but i definitely think you made the right choice!
Old 06-30-24, 07:18 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
so what was it in the end that swayed you to the s-class over the bmw 7? not important but i definitely think you made the right choice!
Ultimately I just prefer the S Class. There is something about the three pointed star, and while I like the 7 a lot I'm concerned it will look dated quickly as BMWs often do and that they will quickly do some kind of extensive refresh. Also I'm concerned about traveling to WV on only EV power...that will be much less of a concern when I trade this next time.

I thought this was interesting, we talk about how the 222 was old school and the 223 is modern appealing to younger people with the screens etc. Well, I took my 77 year old mother for a ride yesterday and she kept saying how she loved the new interior and thought it was so much better than the old one lol.

I'm going to have my PPF guy do all the piano black in the interior when he does the front clip next week to keep it from getting scratched up.
Old 06-30-24, 08:00 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 188 Posts

Love it.

It's a unique looking S-Class.
Old 06-30-24, 08:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Got out and took some better pictures, will take more once its tinted!

The hood is a double pull like a BMW instead of having an underhood release like the W222:

This is the little ding they need to fix

this is the area of hard plastic I have complained about, in my W222 this was carpeted. I'm going to have it wrapped in Alcantara to match the B pillar and headliner

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1