Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-24, 04:44 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
Try an Audi, it's almost boring since the car simply will not step out like that unless you want it to.
10 days or so ago, after our first real snowstorm I was out in the Q7 on Blizzaks. Roads were relatively empty, and a kinda gross combination of hardpack and slush. I decided to see what it would take to get it out of sorts, with the TC fully off. In a straight line it could still accelerate fast enough to give me a nice shove into the seat without the slightest hint of wiggle, and when going around corners it took more than half throttle to initiate a skid.

I always know intellectually how superior winter tires are in bad conditions, but my body forgets just how huge a difference it is when I haven't driven in those conditions for a year. Pairing them with Torsen AWD just makes a tank.
Old 01-18-24, 12:48 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

NYS makes you register your car every two years but you can keep the plates you have. I have the same plates on my cars for 15 years. I don't like the new designs and they don't have the raised letters anymore.
Do other states let you keep the same plates over a long period of time?
Old 01-18-24, 01:17 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
NYS makes you register your car every two years but you can keep the plates you have. I have the same plates on my cars for 15 years. I don't like the new designs and they don't have the raised letters anymore.
I'm assuming you have this plate style? They were the best looking NYS plate. Available from 2001 to 2010.

PA lets you keep an older plate too. I occasionally see ones from the 90's but they're usually pretty faded.

Old 01-18-24, 02:04 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Yes, Virginia does. I've had my plates for about 8 years....transferred them to three different vehicles. Depending on when an emissions test is due, you can register from one to three years.
Old 01-18-24, 02:12 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Nevada makes you get new plates every 8 years. I just got a new set on my truck a couple years ago and the design had changed. I'd had the plates for the full 8 years, including the time they spent on the Fusion.
Old 01-18-24, 02:16 PM
LH1
Instructor

Mike, just doing a quick look at VA plates I noticed this plate style was only offered in 1993 and changed for 94. Very unusual for a state to only have a 1 year run for a standard plate.

Old 01-18-24, 02:31 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by LH1
I'm assuming you have this plate style? They were the best looking NYS plate. Available from 2001 to 2010.

Yup, that's the one. I hated the yellow ones and don't like the current ones. Unfortunately, after all these years the lettering is starting to flake. Some people peel them off to alter the plates for toll readers but mine is due to age
Old 01-18-24, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

You can keep older plates in MD if you transfer your registration to a new vehicle vs getting a new registration. When you lease this gets a little wonky, for example I could not transfer the tags from the Lexus to the Mercedes because the owner of the car was different. If I leased another Lexus I could have transferred those tags, if that makes sense. The only exception to that is if you have vanity plates
Old 01-18-24, 02:46 PM
LH1
Instructor

I hated the yellow ones and don't like the current ones.
The yellow/black ones are awful. They look so terrible.

Current ones are a big improvement though.
Old 01-18-24, 03:09 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Had an annoying issue at lunch today in the 540i. Was backing out of my parking spot and the sensors started beeping indicating that there was somebody coming, but there was absolutely nothing. It then slammed the brakes hard. It kept going off and braking every time i tried to keep backing out. I had to pull into the spot again and go through and disable the system so I could leave.

Old 01-18-24, 03:24 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Those kind of false alarms do happen unfortunately, it was seeing something it thought was cross traffic. When I back the Pacifica into the garage it does that every time as I pass under the door, it just thinks there is something there...

Strange that you had to turn it off to push through it though
Old 01-18-24, 03:50 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Those kind of false alarms do happen unfortunately, it was seeing something it thought was cross traffic. When I back the Pacifica into the garage it does that every time as I pass under the door, it just thinks there is something there...

Strange that you had to turn it off to push through it though
Sometimes stuff in my garage will trip it up. Things as small as those straps that are wrapped around packages.
Old 01-18-24, 04:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Drove a GLS580 today. I drove numerous GLS450s when we were considering that to replace the Pacifica, but I have never driven a 580. I was out past Silver Spring today and MB of Silver Spring had a GLS580 and you rarely see them on a lot, so I figured I would take it for a spin.

I gotta say, the V8 really makes that a whole other vehicle. I'm really impressed by how light and easy to drive it is. Not as much so as the S Class of course but pretty darn close for the additional utility it has. Rides great and very quiet, this one didn't have the acoustic package which I would get and it didn't have the nappa interior package which I would get, that gives you nappa leather and real leather on the dash and doors etc. Unfortunately it only comes in black.

Absolutely loaded up it comes to $128,225, and that includes the burmester 3D surround system, comparatively an S580 optioned similarly would be ~ $150,000 so thats a big savings...and you get an SUV with a higher seating position, room for 3 rows...

Old 01-18-24, 05:44 PM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by BrettJacks
Sometimes stuff in my garage will trip it up. Things as small as those straps that are wrapped around packages.
If you back our Q7 out of the driveway slowly, it warns you that you’re about to crash into the street.
Old 01-18-24, 05:48 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I'm really impressed by how light and easy to drive it is.
Rides great and very quiet.
Absolutely loaded up it comes to $128,225, and that includes the burmester 3D surround system,
At that price, it OUGHT to drive nice.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024