Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-24, 06:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
At speed with cruise control on, it drove really well. Would've been even easier if it had lane centering but overall very manageable. It was the day to day low speed stuff that got tiring
That was my feeling having rented a QX80 for a week also. Great on the highway but around town tiring.

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True. That's why I said, when I reviewed it 16 years ago, that while the M3 was an excellent car for the track, I thought that the sister 335i was a far better alternate for everyday driving in this area.
Nobody looking for an M3 would consider a 335.
Old 07-07-24, 06:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
That was my feeling having rented a QX80 for a week also. Great on the highway but around town tiring.

Nobody looking for an M3 would consider a 335.

Well, If I remember correctly, although that was some 16 years ago, I think I did both the 335 and M3 test-drives by CL-request, to compare them. I also test drove a Porsche Panamera that year or the next one, by request of a co-worker...that was an experience, and a Honda Civic almost hit me when it tried to turn left in front of me from the right lane....the Porsche's superb steering, my quick reflexes, and the Lord kept it from a collision.
Old 07-07-24, 06:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Are your roads small? Are his? You're in DC area and Allen K is in NJ.

I just don't understand the whole "big SUVs are tiring around town thing". Now, if we had small roads I might feel differently. Do you guys frequently travel narrow PITA roads? NJ and DC area are insanely dense....

I get it if you want to be in a vehicle with a lower center of gravity or naturally don't like trucks, etc etc but the size of these are a big part of the appeal to me and lots of others.

I can get right out of the Mercedes and into the LX and it's great to drive... I do it all the time. You're definitely going from one vehicle type to another but it's absolutely fine.
Old 07-07-24, 06:47 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 727 Likes on 500 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123

I just don't understand the whole "big SUVs are tiring around town thing". Now, if we had small roads I might feel differently. Do you guys frequently travel narrow PITA roads? NJ and DC area are insanely dense....

I get it if you want to be in a vehicle with a lower center of gravity or naturally don't like trucks, etc etc but the size of these are a big part of the appeal to me and lots of others.

I can get right out of the Mercedes and into the LX and it's great to drive... I do it all the time. You're definitely going from one vehicle type to another but it's absolutely fine.
this was in LA and Vegas. I daily the Rivian and had a long rental in the Expedition with no issues. The problem with the QX80 is that the steering is needlessly heavy. Not as bad as driving a car without power steering but noticeably heavier than anything I’ve driven in the last 10 years. It gets better at speed but low speed parking lots or turning right on a red and it’s a pain
Old 07-07-24, 07:01 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

this was in LA and Vegas. I daily the Rivian and had a long rental in the Expedition with no issues. The problem with the QX80 is that the steering is needlessly heavy. Not as bad as driving a car without power steering but noticeably heavier than anything I’ve driven in the last 10 years. It gets better at speed but low speed parking lots or turning right on a red and it’s a pain
LA has teeny narrow roads, at least where we lived which was the West Hollywood area. There was a huge absence of large SUVs there except for livery vehicles, that was noticeable fast.

When we moved back to TN it was overwhelming all the trucks again, it took a sec to get used to. If your roads are small like that I get it. I'd still drive a truck though out there lol. LOL I'd love to see what kinda MPG the LX would get. I couldn't break 10MPG with my LS430 which has a relatively efficient V8 in LA traffic.
Old 07-07-24, 07:20 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Like he said the steering is heavy and the vehicle just isn’t relaxing to drive locally. I even felt the same way about the GLS after the week I had it, just moving around traffic and navigating tight parking and tight streets and all a big SUV like that just isn’t for me. I haven’t driven a Rivian at length but I would thing the EV torque would help.

It’s just not an “effortless” vehicle to drive. Honestly? I’d rather drive our Pacifica. I got back into the Pacifica after driving that GLS and it felt like a sports car.

On the straight highway it’s a different story. They drive great and swallow lots of stuff and get the whole family anywhere you want to go in any weather.
Old 07-07-24, 07:21 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

At speed with cruise control on, it drove really well. Would've been even easier if it had lane centering but overall very manageable. It was the day to day low speed stuff that got tiring
was the QX engine good to drive in the city?
Old 07-07-24, 07:30 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

To switch topics for a second, I need to go back on something I said about these multi-geared transmission.

The 10 speed automatic in the GMC is the best automatic I've ever experienced. I initially wasn't crazy about it because 10 gears are a lot.

That said, the shifts are absolutely imperceptible, the smoothest I've ever experienced in any car including my LS430, though the shifts are designed to be slightly felt, soothing, and syrupy in that car (and they are lol).

Downshifts come instantly and they hold with this 10 speed auto. They say the ZF 8 speed is the best out there, I can't imagine.

You don't feel a thing going through all these gears and the Yukon accelerates well in normal traffic, driving normally.
Old 07-07-24, 07:31 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

maybe the '24 qx refresh has better steering. certainly everything else is improved although some will lament the loss of the thirsty v8.
Old 07-07-24, 07:38 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
was the QX engine good to drive in the city?
engine was nice and smooth. Transmission was a little rough from 1st to 2nd but no big deal. It all came down to maneuverability of which it had little at low speeds
Old 07-07-24, 07:38 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 643 Likes on 400 Posts

The GMC 10 speed was designed by Ford 😉
Old 07-07-24, 07:40 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Like he said the steering is heavy and the vehicle just isn’t relaxing to drive locally. I even felt the same way about the GLS after the week I had it, just moving around traffic and navigating tight parking and tight streets and all a big SUV like that just isn’t for me. I haven’t driven a Rivian at length but I would thing the EV torque would help.

It’s just not an “effortless” vehicle to drive. Honestly? I’d rather drive our Pacifica. I got back into the Pacifica after driving that GLS and it felt like a sports car.

On the straight highway it’s a different story. They drive great and swallow lots of stuff and get the whole family anywhere you want to go in any weather.
getting back in the Ody at the airport was refreshing. Loading luggage was easy, steering was light, and the engine felt more responsive (albeit less smooth)
Old 07-07-24, 07:42 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

To switch topics for a second, I need to go back on something I said about these multi-geared transmission.

The 10 speed automatic in the GMC is the best automatic I've ever experienced. I initially wasn't crazy about it because 10 gears are a lot.

That said, the shifts are absolutely imperceptible, the smoothest I've ever experienced in any car including my LS430, though the shifts are designed to be slightly felt, soothing, and syrupy in that car (and they are lol).

Downshifts come instantly and they hold with this 10 speed auto. They say the ZF 8 speed is the best out there, I can't imagine.

You don't feel a thing going through all these gears and the Yukon accelerates well in normal traffic, driving normally.
I can confirm the ZF8 is amazing.

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
maybe the '24 qx refresh has better steering. certainly everything else is improved although some will lament the loss of the thirsty v8.
Hopefully the new engine is more reliable then the smaller vr30 in the Infiniti Q50/60. Those eat turbos like candy.

Originally Posted by swajames
​​​​​​ Yep. Ford engineered the 10 speed RWD transmission and GM engineered the 9 speed FWD transmission as part of their joint venture. Each manufacturer modifies it for their own use. Ford only puts 8 gears in the FWD trans, and GM supposedly didn't use the CDF drum in the 10 speed that has been giving Ford a nightmare.

Old 07-07-24, 07:45 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
It's a whole new design, not a refresh.

Originally Posted by swajames
It was co-developed jointly, GM and Ford. It works better with the V8 than the Ford just because of NA's power delivery characteristics versus FI. The transmission was fine but didn't stick out to me when I had that brand new King Ranch 3.5 rental for almost 2 weeks. That truck was just fun to feel the boost.
Old 07-07-24, 08:22 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,186 Likes on 882 Posts

Try the ZF for sure, it's said to be the best for a reason. I couldn't believe how fast the shifts were on tuned units and how completely invisible the shifts are when just cruising around. Also helps they can take over 1000hp stock somehow

Last edited by Striker223; 07-07-24 at 08:26 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024