Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 06:32 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your job shouldn't be at risk because of what you drive. renting a car to fake what you drive is lame. you do you.
It’s a good point. I don’t think my leadership team would penalize me for having a V8 car. We have a global senior VP who has a Maserati and he told us he also has a Tesla 3 because the house he just bought in Germany came with it. He either retired at the end of June or he’s retiring at the end of this month. He’s been very involved with F1 teams and on the oil and fuel side of the business, which is the primary business.

Renting an EV could be a good experience and case study for me. I am a technical writer and I am responsible for documentation our SaaS which our customers need to know how to load balance, determine how you manage energy distribution from chargers, and how to interpret charging status data. I love the job. It’s interesting and challenging. The technology is evolving rapidly.

I am supportive of EVs. I just don’t want one yet. I don’t have to get a gas guzzling V8 but I really do like the IS500. mmarshall is exactly correct about the need to build out the grid. While CA was quick to proclaim an EV mandate in 2035, there has been zero urgency in fortifying the grid. There are more charging stations and most near me are Tesla. That means there is more demand on the grid, but without getting energy to those stations, they are not useful. We have one nuclear power plant in Diablo Canyon and there are plans to shutter that in a few years. I don’t see an obvious plan to power the CA grid moving forward and having a plan is critical.
Old 07-10-24, 07:18 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 139 Likes on 113 Posts

My former next door neighbor was a WWII veteran and would always give me flack about owning Japanese or German cars. Some of it was joking but some of it was serious. Even after many years had passed. He was a worldly guy too, owning two Ethan Allen furniture stores, but the war left an imprint on him which is understandable. What you drive definitely can have an impact on people.
Old 07-10-24, 07:28 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

your job shouldn't be at risk because of what you drive. renting a car to fake what you drive is lame. you do you.
"Shouldn't be" but thats just not how the world works. If you want to get ahead you have to look the part.

You can sit around and say something "shouldn't be" all you want while they promote somebody else because they fit the image of the person they are looking for. Thats just reality.
Old 07-10-24, 07:44 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by link13
I am supportive of EVs. I just don’t want one yet..
I feel the same way.
I'm a friend to the EV owner but I will stick with Ice for now

It's not because I'm ignorant of electric motors.
I've been working on large electric motor and shaft angle position sensor interfaces for robotics & industrial automation for many years.

Way before they ever went into cars.

But, people CAN and WILL judge. Lol

Old 07-10-24, 07:54 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
"Shouldn't be" but thats just not how the world works. If you want to get ahead you have to look the part.

You can sit around and say something "shouldn't be" all you want while they promote somebody else because they fit the image of the person they are looking for. Thats just reality.
While your point is absolutely valid, there is not an obvious path of advancement from my position. I have a manager and a VP above him. I don’t have any interest in managing a team either. I don’t have much desire to become a project manager. I have a cynical view of the role because most of them don’t respond when I ask them for reviews of documents or for info on who I need to talk to in order to get information. PMs in other organizations have been similar. I doubt that my choice of car would actually affect my position and I really do think an IS500 would be an absolute boot in the *** to drive.

I mentioned interest in the Integra Type S previously but I don’t think it’s the right car for me for a number of reasons.
Old 07-10-24, 08:03 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,432 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I am supportive of EVs. I just don’t want one yet.
i bet if you went and test drove or rented the new model 3, you'd figure out how to get a charger at home and get the car. it's that good. not like you drive a ton.

Old 07-10-24, 08:08 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by SW17LS
and that's why i have my own biz. i rarely wear shorts to clients at least, other than that, t-shirt and jeans ftw. and i've shown up in a lot of different cars. they don't care.

i think that's relevant in customer facing roles like some sales or on some fancy exec track, but as you probably know, in tech, nerds rule.
Old 07-10-24, 09:17 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm
One of my partners at my firm is a car guy and has a Raptor R and just got his wife a GLE63 AMG. He is the only one I talk cars about because accountants generally aren’t into cars and see them as a waste of money. I also don’t tell people I work with what I drive, I will just say a Tesla or BMW but not specify what models.
I've noticed a few things over the last 10 years at my accounting firm.

1) partners love F-150's. Nobody else does, except for me.

2) every staff either buys an entry level luxury car(3 series/c-class/A4/IS) or a Camry/Accord.

3) The Accord/Camry group will keep that car until they make partner and then trade it in for the same model.

4) the luxury car group often just buys the badge. I've seen some very bare bones 3 series here

Old 07-10-24, 10:32 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

2) every staff either buys an entry level luxury car(3 series/c-class/A4/IS) or a Camry/Accord.

3) The Accord/Camry group will keep that car until they make partner and then trade it in for the same model.

4) the luxury car group often just buys the badge. I've seen some very bare bones 3 series here
parking lot politics, lol
Old 07-10-24, 10:53 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

parking lot politics, lol
I will say that I don't think anybody's career advancement at my firm has been dependent on the car they drive. I've seen people promoted to partner while driving an Audi or a 93 Camry.

I think at the client-facing side with some partners, the selection matters more. We have partners who handle union benefit plan audits who drive F-150's despite not having a truck owner bone in their body because that's how you fit in with the union guys.

My position doesn't have me visiting client officers often, but when I do, I generally pick which vehicle to drive based on who I'm visiting.
Old 07-10-24, 11:52 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

While your point is absolutely valid, there is not an obvious path of advancement from my position. I have a manager and a VP above him. I don’t have any interest in managing a team either. I don’t have much desire to become a project manager. I have a cynical view of the role because most of them don’t respond when I ask them for reviews of documents or for info on who I need to talk to in order to get information. PMs in other organizations have been similar. I doubt that my choice of car would actually affect my position and I really do think an IS500 would be an absolute boot in the *** to drive.

I mentioned interest in the Integra Type S previously but I don’t think it’s the right car for me for a number of reasons.
Then I wouldn't stress about it and just buy what you want.

i think that's relevant in customer facing roles like some sales or on some fancy exec track, but as you probably know, in tech, nerds rule.
Thats the kind of situation we're talking about.
Old 07-10-24, 11:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Picked the S580 up from the tint and PPF application, they did an amazing job. Will post pictures
Old 07-10-24, 01:16 PM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Working in NYC I never knew or cared what my peers drove. One of the younger associates told me he wanted to get a GT-R one day and I was shocked. Then again, he was also a partner in an Asian restaurant. He has that GT-R now.

Years ago when my wife joined her local law firm out of college one of her peers bought a SLK convertible in his second year. He would park it blocks away because he didn't want the managing partner/owner to think he was paying him too much. lol

Old 07-10-24, 01:26 PM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 289 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA

#2 is the most true from what I have seen, especially the Camry/Accord.
Old 07-10-24, 01:34 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

God that's weird to me, my parents are both doctors so I'm used to people being edgy for any reason so it doesn't bother me but I never thought that people actually have to present like that at jobs.

I guess it makes sense though as I use my Audis as billboards of sorts and the W12 has gotten me many customers in parking lots etc. I just never thought in non-car sector jobs that it mattered much, for most people car is car and that's it. Camry or accord or the breadbox SUV equivalent

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1