Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-24, 02:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
your job shouldn't be at risk because of what you drive. renting a car to fake what you drive is lame. you do you.

Originally Posted by SW17LS
You can sit around and say something "shouldn't be" all you want while they promote somebody else because they fit the image of the person they are looking for. Thats just reality.
Gotta go with bit on this one, for three reasons. First, he's exactly right that some things happen in the professional world that should not happen, even if it is true (as Steve says) that they often do anyway. Two (and too many times), perception and image is often not the same as the reality of the person underneath.....someone could come to the office in a six-figure vehicle, dressed immaculately for an interview, look great on the surface, give well-rehearsed answers that impress the boss, and, just under all that disguise, actually not know much about the job and be an alcoholic, drug-addict, family-abuser, or any one of a thousand different vices. Three, after spending 33 years in Federal service, I saw, time and time again, the results of promotion-selections based either those who articficially- impressed the boss or were otherwise selected because of quota/EEO/Affirmative action. Often, but not always, they only made the job more difficult for the rest of us (including me), because we had to do our own jobs plus often theirs besides, because they thought they knew what they were doing, and didn't.

I myself was promoted a couple of times myself during my career, but that was because of my actual work-record and accomplishments, not because of kissing anyone's ***, acting or dressing in a manner trying to impress people. or what I drove. That was just not my lifestyle.

Last edited by mmarshall; 07-10-24 at 02:05 PM.
Old 07-10-24, 02:04 PM
swajames
Pole Position

Received 673 Likes on 420 Posts

And conversely there are lots of people who do well enough to buy whatever it is that they want, aren't giving a second thought to what others may think, and neither deserve nor are they asking to be judged.
Old 07-10-24, 02:37 PM
BayeauxLex
Instructor

Received 188 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that was true 40 years ago. now, with a global car business, i don't think it's the same. and even if it's 'not a good look', i don't care.

Guy who worked in oil field told me last year while working in Michigan and if you didn’t drive one of the big 3 trucks, the union was trying to figure out how to get rid of you. He had either his Ram or the F150 he has now at the time.
Old 07-10-24, 05:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Gotta go with bit on this one, for three reasons. First, he's exactly right that some things happen in the professional world that should not happen, even if it is true (as Steve says) that they often do anyway. Two (and too many times), perception and image is often not the same as the reality of the person underneath.....someone could come to the office in a six-figure vehicle, dressed immaculately for an interview, look great on the surface, give well-rehearsed answers that impress the boss, and, just under all that disguise, actually not know much about the job and be an alcoholic, drug-addict, family-abuser, or any one of a thousand different vices. Three, after spending 33 years in Federal service, I saw, time and time again, the results of promotion-selections based either those who articficially- impressed the boss or were otherwise selected because of quota/EEO/Affirmative action. Often, but not always, they only made the job more difficult for the rest of us (including me), because we had to do our own jobs plus often theirs besides, because they thought they knew what they were doing, and didn't.
You say you agree with Bit, but everything you said agrees with me. Like you said, people come in and play the part right and get ahead even if their ability and skills aren't great...thats just a reality of corporate life. You have to get noticed, its not enough to just be competent.

So, you can play the game or not. You can play the part you need to play in order to get ahead, or you can not do that and sit there and watch people who are less capable than you surpass you because they know how to play the game. Thats just how it is.

"Shouldn't be that way" doesn't feed anybody's family.
Old 07-10-24, 05:22 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Got the tint and the PPF on, really did a great job. Much better job that the guy who used to do my cars. The PPF is almost completely invisible, all the seams and cuts are super, super tight. Tint is 40%, same as the last car. This tint seems to be a little cooler vs warmer in tone, will have to get used to that...

The battery got discharged, and that screwed up a bunch of my autonomous driving features where I have a ton of error messages. I remember that happening when I had the subwoofer installed In the old one. Dealer is going to reset everything tomorrow.

Waiting on the spoiler which should be here painted in about 3 weeks.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-10-24 at 05:34 PM.
Old 07-10-24, 05:47 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

So I let the corrosion on my truck's positive battery cable end get out of control over the last couple years by just ignoring it(never bothered to lift up the little rubber cover to inspect it.) This came to a head when I replaced the battery a month or two ago and i almost broke the clamp trying to tighten it onto the battery. Finally cut the old cable end off and installed a new one that's much better designed.

Remember to check for corrosion, even with AGM batteries(which the old battery was).
Old 07-10-24, 05:58 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Look at the type of cars they sell in Europe vs here. That is absolutely because of regulations. More and more cities are limiting the type of vehicles they will allow to be driven there, that’s not going to change. All of that goes into what carmakers sell.

Why do you think the C63 AMG and M5 are these hybrid things? This is why. In a lot of places in the world they simply cannot sell a V8 C63 or a non hybridized M5. China is the largest growth market and they are rapidly moving towards an ICE ban.

We live in a global economy, carmakers design cars for the world not just for us with very few exceptions. It makes no sense to have an EV lineup for the rest of the world and gas for us lol

By that logic luxury cars are going extinct too because you don’t see them in poorer areas of town. BTW, I see old Teslas in poorer areas here all the time.

In 20 years I guarantee well over 20% of the cars on the road will be EVs. It’s over that here now just from what I see.
The government can't force us all into these, that's what you don't get. You give them way too much power. Mercedes isn't saying "tough shyyyt" because nobody is buying their ugly EVs. What are they doing? They're scrambling to bring back V8 ICE cars that will actually sell. This isn't Europe, who cares about Europe. Certain models have been sent or not sent here from Europe since the beginning of time. The C63S is partly because Mercedes was really, really stupid. Lots of automakers were and some still are.

You vastly underestimate the amount of stubborn people who simply won't even sit in one let alone buy an EV, as well. You can lead a horse to water....

Regulations can be cut, bullshyyyt can be rolled back in this country. Of course, do what you want but you seem to just be okay with whatever the government throws out there... The government sucks... They couldn't run a hot dog stand in Times Square successfully.

I think the government is mostly incompetent for the people and has no idea what we want or need. Government regs forces my car off every .0005 seconds at lights but how many jets are above us at any given time?

Last edited by AJT123; 07-10-24 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-10-24, 06:04 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

BTW SW I see what you mean about the power recessed door handles being silly, and inconvenient. Probably a fad that won't last.

What if you shut the door and immediately need it open again, that kind of stuff happens real world all day long.

I was very impressed with the quality of said door handles on the S-Class but I put your real world situation in my head and yep, you're right.
Old 07-10-24, 06:26 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

The new 5 series went to those recessed handles and I don't care for it. I like the older styles like mine has.

Old 07-10-24, 06:31 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
The new 5 series went to those recessed handles and I don't care for it. I like the older styles like mine has.
Yeah, answering a question nobody asked. Door handles look attractive...

--------

Also, regarding the 2025 Yukon going to a screen and losing all the buttons.... Just look how easy this falls to hand. It's great. It isn't as clean as the new screen but it's perfect for real world use. Also, behind the buttons is very, very high quality piano black trim.

I know why GM did it this way. Bc that’s how we want it. Going to the screen will be fine but they’re only doing it bc the screen size has fallen behind and they need to stay competitive.

Last edited by AJT123; 07-10-24 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-10-24, 06:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by AJT123
The government can't force us all into these, that's what you don't get. You give them way too much power. Mercedes isn't saying "tough shyyyt" because nobody is buying their ugly EVs. What are they doing? They're scrambling to bring back V8 ICE cars that will actually sell. This isn't Europe, who cares about Europe. Certain models have been sent or not sent here from Europe since the beginning of time. The C63S is partly because Mercedes was really, really stupid. Lots of automakers were and some still are.

You vastly underestimate the amount of stubborn people who simply won't even sit in one let alone buy an EV, as well. You can lead a horse to water....

Regulations can be cut, bullshyyyt can be rolled back in this country. Of course, do what you want but you seem to just be okay with whatever the government throws out there... The government sucks... They couldn't run a hot dog stand in Times Square successfully.

I think the government is mostly incompetent for the people and has no idea what we want or need. Government regs forces my car off every .0005 seconds at lights but how many jets are above us at any given time?
Givernment regulations all over the world impact what vehicles carmakers design and sell. They aren’t going to design cars they can’t sell most places in the world. That would be bad business. You can’t buy what carmakers don’t make.

Who cares about Europe? All of these cars are designed and built in Europe lol. It’s not just Europe, it’s places in the US and China. These are the three largest markets for cars in the world. So yeah, carmakers are going to make what they can sell in those markets.

The day of big V8 cars is over, like it or not.
Old 07-10-24, 06:45 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Got the tint and the PPF on, really did a great job. Much better job that the guy who used to do my cars. The PPF is almost completely invisible, all the seams and cuts are super, super tight. Tint is 40%, same as the last car. This tint seems to be a little cooler vs warmer in tone, will have to get used to that...

The battery got discharged, and that screwed up a bunch of my autonomous driving features where I have a ton of error messages. I remember that happening when I had the subwoofer installed In the old one. Dealer is going to reset everything tomorrow.

Waiting on the spoiler which should be here painted in about 3 weeks.
Looks killer, I'm surprised they didn't throw it on a tender. If there is an issue would they replace the battery?
Old 07-10-24, 06:45 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FrankReynoldsCPA
They’re not like the Mercedes door handles. They don’t pop out, you just reach in and there’s a button in there and the door opens.
Old 07-10-24, 06:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Looks killer, I'm surprised they didn't throw it on a tender. If there is an issue would they replace the battery?
Thanks!

Good question about the tender! Yeah if it needs a battery the shop will cover it. I doubt it does, I think there are just faults that need to be cleared
Old 07-10-24, 07:07 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Thanks!

Good question about the tender! Yeah if it needs a battery the shop will cover it. I doubt it does, I think there are just faults that need to be cleared
Car looks great.

I think the recessed handles in the LC500 wouldn't ever be annoying.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1