Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-24, 09:29 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by SC300Es
Airbag
Ridiculous!
I like it. Haha
Old 07-11-24, 01:04 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
I can't stress enough how high quality said trim is.

And piano black isn't my choice either..... however the truck is also slabbed with a very large amount of real open pore black wood, and stitched leather everywhere so it's fine.

I agree, when I see Rolls Royces with piano black instead of wood I want to gouge my eyes out.
Rolls uses the real deal black piano wood with lacquer over it, the stuff you see in most cars is the cheap imitation of that style.
Old 07-11-24, 02:42 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Warnings are all cleared, discharging the 48v system makes the car very unhappy.
Old 07-11-24, 02:49 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Warnings are all cleared, discharging the 48v system makes the car very unhappy.
random? What you talking about?
Old 07-11-24, 03:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Should have specified...

The battery got discharged, and that screwed up a bunch of my autonomous driving features where I have a ton of error messages. I remember that happening when I had the subwoofer installed In the old one. Dealer is going to reset everything tomorrow.
Wanna hear something else crazy? The PPF guy must have fixed that ding the car had when I picked it up! Its gone
Old 07-11-24, 03:08 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Should have specified...

Wanna hear something else crazy? The PPF guy must have fixed that ding the car had when I picked it up! Its gone
So what did you have to do to correct the autonomous stuff? Or did it self correct

that’s good they fixed your dent
Old 07-11-24, 03:39 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Toys4RJill
So what did you have to do to correct the autonomous stuff? Or did it self correct

that’s good they fixed your dent
The dealer reinitialized the system and downloaded some updates and cleared them. There were multiple module errors they needed to clear
Old 07-11-24, 03:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

The dealer reinitialized the system and downloaded some updates and cleared them. There were multiple module errors they needed to clear
Oh I see. I guess they wore down the battery while working on it maybe
Old 07-11-24, 04:35 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Oh I see. I guess they wore down the battery while working on it maybe
Oh big time, I was getting all kinds of warnings through the app about battery discharge
Old 07-11-24, 05:53 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,430 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by swajames
And conversely there are lots of people who do well enough to buy whatever it is that they want, aren't giving a second thought to what others may think, and neither deserve nor are they asking to be judged.
exactly.

Originally Posted by BayeauxLex
Guy who worked in oil field told me last year while working in Michigan and if you didn’t drive one of the big 3 trucks, the union was trying to figure out how to get rid of you. He had either his Ram or the F150 he has now at the time.
in michigan that's not surprising.

You say you agree with Bit, but everything you said agrees with me. Like you said, people come in and play the part right and get ahead even if their ability and skills aren't great...thats just a reality of corporate life. You have to get noticed, its not enough to just be competent.
style vs. substance. yes both are important. but style does not make up for incompetence, but i've worked with many people who strut their stuff and don't have a clue.

So, you can play the game or not. You can play the part you need to play in order to get ahead, or you can not do that and sit there and watch people who are less capable than you surpass you because they know how to play the game. Thats just how it is.
not everywhere. but i did dress 'nice' for years, 20 years ago and before... hated it, but did it, because i knew the game like you say. in most of the corporate world that's relaxed quite a bit... ties for example, the stupidest accessory ever, lol. haven't worn one in 20 years except once at a funeral.

there's probably regional differences too. because florida is warm, most professionals wear golf polo type shirts, casual pants, jeans, or shorts. fine by me.

nothing i've worn in the last 10 years needs ironing for example.

Oh big time, I was getting all kinds of warnings through the app about battery discharge
but why did it completely discharge... because they had doors open and lights on maybe? or maybe they were blasting the audio with engine off?
Old 07-11-24, 06:24 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

See? This is why I wouldn't want that in my Mercedes.

Just an engine, please.
Old 07-11-24, 08:31 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
style vs. substance. yes both are important. but style does not make up for incompetence, but i've worked with many people who strut their stuff and don't have a clue.
Style goes a long way towards hiding incompetence l

but why did it completely discharge... because they had doors open and lights on maybe? or maybe they were blasting the audio with engine off?
They had all the doors open. It sat overnight with doors open. I can see all that on the app.

Originally Posted by AJT123
See? This is why I wouldn't want that in my Mercedes.

Just an engine, please.
Just don’t let the battery get totally discharged by leaving doors open all night and you will be fine.

Same thing happened to the old one, no 48v system. I had to have the dealer reset it after they installed the subwoofer. Modern cars have a lot of tech and they don’t like dead batteries.

My service guy told me that 95% of the issues with 48v systems are because of dead 12v batteries. A fresh battery fixes almost all the concerns.

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-11-24 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-11-24, 08:42 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Style goes a long way towards hiding incompetence l

They had all the doors open. It sat overnight with doors open. I can see all that on the app.

Just don’t let the battery get totally discharged by leaving doors open all night and you will be fine.

Same thing happened to the old one, no 48v system. I had to have the dealer reset it after they installed the subwoofer. Modern cars have a lot of tech and they don’t like dead batteries.

My service guy told me that 95% of the issues with 48v systems are because of dead 12v batteries. A fresh battery fixes almost all the concerns.
you are just a different type of consumer. You don’t keep your cars for a long as others do. And the complexity of having to reconnect a dead or new battery is what some show pause at. More stuff to break is a valid concern.

Toyota now uses 48v systems for the Hilux and Land Cruiser diesels. I am interested to know if Toyota needs the reconnection process as Mercedes does
Old 07-11-24, 08:43 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

They had all the doors open. It sat overnight with doors open. I can see all that on the app...
Busted!
Can't talk their way out of that. 🤓
Old 07-11-24, 08:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you are just a different type of consumer. You don’t keep your cars for a long as others do. And the complexity of having to reconnect a dead or new battery is what some show pause at. More stuff to break is a valid concern.

Toyota now uses 48v systems for the Hilux and Land Cruiser diesels. I am interested to know if Toyota needs the reconnection process as Mercedes does
Hybrid systems like this have been around for a long time. It’s a sensitive German car, this kind of stuff is just part of having a car like this. They’re sensitive to things. There isn’t a “reconnection process” the car had module faults because the battery was discharged too much. That’s not a process you would ever have to go through unless you discharged the battery too much. It should have been on a battery tender.

Replacing a battery without keeping a charge in the electrical system is impossible in many modern cars without 48v systems.

spent all day in the car today, I drove almost 100 miles and REALLY enjoyed myself. It’s a phenomenal car. Superior to the old car in many ways. The ride is on another level and so is the quietness. Now that I have the seats dialed in I really like them.

The sound system is amazing. For sure the best system I have had in a car, beating the Nakamichi and Mark Levinson in the LSs and just on another planet from the base Burmester in the old car. Like the ML and Nakamichi systems it can’t be turned up too loud. It’s so clear and pure, bass is tight and you feel it in your core. I put one of my favorite live albums on and it was like being at the concert, I have heard that album hundreds of times but never enjoyed it like that. I can’t imagine what the 4D $6,500 Burmester upgrade

It’s an absurdly expensive car, but it’s a good one.

Rolled over 1k miles

Last edited by SW17LS; 07-11-24 at 08:50 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1