Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-24, 09:19 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Saw an Avalon today with the license plate the read "ITS OVR"

​​​​​​Must be referencing the age of the driver, given that it's an Avalon.

Went and got my driver's license updated to remove the corrective lenses restriction now that I'm seeing 20/20 uncorrected. PRK was a great decision.
Old Yesterday, 06:15 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Speaking of plates and stuff, I have a temporary handicapped tag, you guys should see the way people look at me when I park in a spot sometimes, especially in the Benz. They think I'm just some jackass because I'm not old.

I've gotten into more than one argument where people say something. Then I bust out the tag, tell them to FO and go about my business. One thing about handicapped spots is that:

A. Your car is under surveillance for sure, right up front
B. Tons of extra space so nobody will crowd our Mercedes parking
C. You get used quickly to the best spots
D. Nobody is gonna mess with a car parked out front of a business in a handicapped spot.

It'll be sad when it expires but at least I had one. I'll be better then so I'm sure that will be fantastic.
Old Yesterday, 06:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

I’m amazed that people give you a hard time…people just need to mind their own business.
Old Yesterday, 07:21 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
I’m amazed that people give you a hard time…people just need to mind their own business.
If I’m being honest I sometimes wonder when I see some people parking in handicapped spots. For example, my next door neighbor I know isn’t handicapped and runs daily has a hang tag and parks up front at the grocery store and I see a guy at my gym that uses one and I do question it even though there could be something there. Same when I used to take the commuter train to DC every day and I see someone parked in a handicapped space sprinting to catch the train.

I am a little sensitive about it because my mother is handicapped so when I see someone like that I have negative sentiments. Not saying it’s right but that’s how I feel sometimes.
Old Yesterday, 07:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by patgilm
If I’m being honest I sometimes wonder when I see some people parking in handicapped spots. For example, my next door neighbor I know isn’t handicapped and runs daily has a hang tag and parks up front at the grocery store and I see a guy at my gym that uses one and I do question it even though there could be something there. Same when I used to take the commuter train to DC every day and I see someone parked in a handicapped space sprinting to catch the train.

I am a little sensitive about it because my mother is handicapped so when I see someone like that I have negative sentiments. Not saying it’s right but that’s how I feel sometimes.
Sure, but would you confront those people directly? I wonder too, but I don't confront them because its none of my business.

The only time I would ever confront someone in public is if I saw them hurting another person.
Old Yesterday, 07:27 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

Different than Handicapped Parking, but around here there are a few places that have "Veterans Parking" which I take advantage of. No one has ever asked for ID etc. but I'm sure now and then someone might wonder if I'm a vet or just after a good spot. I don't wear a cap, t-shirt or have a license plate frame with vet info lol.
Old Yesterday, 07:29 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
Different than Handicapped Parking, but around here there are a few places that have "Veterans Parking" which I take advantage of. No one has ever asked for ID etc. but I'm sure now and then someone might wonder if I'm a vet or just after a good spot. I don't wear a cap, t-shirt or have a license plate frame with vet info lol.
I was about to comment on that. You also see "Purple Heart Recipient parking". How does anybody know if the people using those spaces are Veterans or Purple Heart recipients? I don't use those spaces because I'm not an a-hole, but I am sure people do when they shouldn't.

There is an outdoor mixed use complex that has a purple heart space, and the maintenance workers park their maintenance golf cart in it! On the surface, that would seem wrong...but could the maintenance guy have a Purple Heart? He could!
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
patgilm
Lead Lap

Received 285 Likes on 202 Posts

Sure, but would you confront those people directly? I wonder too, but I don't confront them because its none of my business.

The only time I would ever confront someone in public is if I saw them hurting another person.
Absolutely not, no way I would confront anyone. I mind my own business but I do wonder sometimes.
Old Yesterday, 07:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 138 Likes on 112 Posts

I was about to comment on that. You also see "Purple Heart Recipient parking". How does anybody know if the people using those spaces are Veterans or Purple Heart recipients? I don't use those spaces because I'm not an a-hole, but I am sure people do when they shouldn't.

There is an outdoor mixed use complex that has a purple heart space, and the maintenance workers park their maintenance golf cart in it! On the surface, that would seem wrong...but could the maintenance guy have a Purple Heart? He could!
In my case I figure people see an old guy heading into the Home Depot maybe he is a vet.
Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by patgilm

I totally understand. My FIL had a permanent hang tag, so last year we inherited his car with the tag in the door pocket. When we went to transfer the title, we turned the tag in and the employees were dumbfounded. Apparently nobody ever does that. So it's pretty obvious we could have just kept it and used it (we never would have), and I suspect a lot of people do exactly that.
Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In my case I figure people see an old guy heading into the Home Depot maybe he is a vet.
You know you're a vet, I wouldn't worry about what anybody else thinks!
Old Yesterday, 08:06 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 964 Likes on 769 Posts

You know you're a vet, I wouldn't worry about what anybody else thinks!
Ditto.

Park like you own it.
Old Yesterday, 08:37 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Another thing is that some physical disabilities aren't visible. Dude might look perfectly fine but only be able to walk 5 minutes at a time before needing to rest.

Guy at the gym could be there to do some low impact exercise like swimming. Great for rehab.

​​​
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,369 Likes on 1,554 Posts

like everything with good intentions, it's getting out of hand. with so many retirees in florida we have whole banks of parking spots for 'handicapped' plus i see pregnant women spots, i've not seen vet spots, but of there's also 'curbside pickup' spots, and other designated parking spots. i do wonder on the definition of handicapped for those tags sometimes as i've definitely seen people get out of cars normally and walk normally straight into and out of stores. someone with walking difficulties or a wheelchair, etc., sure.

would i confront anyone about it? no. it's not hurting me. in fact the upside to me is it forces me to park further away and get some exercise with the walk.
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Speaking of plates and stuff, I have a temporary handicapped tag, you guys should see the way people look at me when I park in a spot sometimes, especially in the Benz. They think I'm just some jackass because I'm not old.
That sucks. Hopefully you don't have to deal with that very often. How's your back feeling?

PA just rolled out a new optional plate for 2025. Big shocker...they're ugly lol. I give it a 3/10. Other states have always had much cooler looking plates.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024