Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-24, 11:42 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 789 Likes on 587 Posts

I don't usually pay attention to any MB because here they all look like they're driven by triad members but this one was nice, the two tone I thought was really nice. Very hard to keep an intact windshield in this city.

Old 01-19-24, 12:08 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Getting brand new and keeping 3 years I think minimizes that concern. I want one at some point in my life (maybe once kids are in college) and that's the only way I'll do it. I know enough people who lease these and it's the only brand I've ever seen them drive for 10 years. That tells me the headaches are worth it. The styling has always appealed to me and the driving position and visibility are awesome. Plus the interior design is 10/10 in my opinion.
Yeah like the S Class a Range Rover is one of those vehicles I have to have at some point.

Don't remember how long is left on your lease.. would you consider ordering a Rover now, rolling the dice and not paying for the warranty on your car post-lease while you wait for the RR to show up?
It’s up in November. I could, I have to go drive one and see what I think. I haven’t driven a new one yet. I believe there is a prorata refund for the warranty if it’s unused too

Originally Posted by AJT123
I never got to drive that W222 last week or whenever I said, but I rode around in it for an hour and a half at least. You definitely got that right.

Yes, like the W140 I remember, 85MPH feels like 55. It was tomb silent, and so comfortable.

I couldn't not have a V8. It was muted, but you could hear it. It reminds me of the UZ engine, it snarls similarly. Smoooooooooth too.

TBH overall it gave me the impression of a really REALLY fast, updated LS430 (but I'm sure handles a million times better). I'd kill to drive that car.
Yeah it’s a great car! The engine in the GLS is a little less muted which was interesting.

Originally Posted by Gerf
I don't usually pay attention to any MB because here they all look like they're driven by triad members but this one was nice, the two tone I thought was really nice. Very hard to keep an intact windshield in this city.

That’s the Maybach GLS
Old 01-19-24, 12:21 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

I never got to drive that W222 last week or whenever I said, but I rode around in it for an hour and a half at least. You definitely got that right.

Yes, like the W140 I remember, 85MPH feels like 55. It was tomb silent, and so comfortable.

I couldn't not have a V8. It was muted, but you could hear it. It reminds me of the UZ engine, it snarls similarly. Smoooooooooth too.

TBH overall it gave me the impression of a really REALLY fast, updated LS430 (but I'm sure handles a million times better). I'd kill to drive that car.
from the several S-classes i've driven/gotten to ride in, my memories were i'd rather be chauffeured in the back of a LWB lincoln town car... at least at anything below highway speeds

an S-class is super comfy of course but there's still the 'high performance' aspect of it that doesn't come alive until you really start moving and throw it into some sweeping bends, for sitting in traffic or just casually cruising around local roads the town car is more of a cushy cloud

i think the LS 400 did a great job of bridging the gap between the two, it does general comfort and ride quality better than the S-class (imo) yet feels much more competent and capable at high speeds than the town car... if we had autobahns here though you can count on me to seek out an S-class haha
Old 01-19-24, 12:29 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
Y\\
Yeah it’s a great car! The engine in the GLS is a little less muted which was interesting.
\
One thing I did notice, it may have been my seating position but I could barely see the star ornament on the hood.

Do you see yours fully when driving? In every other Mercedes that I can remember being in with the star, you always saw it clearly from either front seat. I swear that's the best part of the car.
Old 01-19-24, 12:35 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

One thing I did notice, it may have been my seating position but I could barely see the star ornament on the hood.

Do you see yours fully when driving? In every other Mercedes that I can remember being in with the star, you always saw it clearly from either front seat. I swear that's the best part of the car.
the hood ornament actually comes with its own 'quirk' so to speak... if you're driving through foggy conditions you'll actually get condensation building up on the star, which then causes water droplets to be thrown back onto just the center of the windshield lol

and this doesn't happen with the LS so i'm certain it's the star causing this
Old 01-19-24, 01:03 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS

It’s up in November. I could, I have to go drive one and see what I think. I haven’t driven a new one yet. I believe there is a prorata refund for the warranty if it’s unused too
I know what you should be doing this weekend..! If you pull the trigger on a RR in the next 45 days, you'll have 8-9 months still in your lease. So best case you get the Rover 3-4 months after your lease, worst case about 9-10 months after. This could be your window of opportunity! Otherwise, whatever you lease next I guess you could go to RR at the 12-15 month mark and throw in your order.
Old 01-19-24, 01:28 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Saw an old ML500 earlier today and explained to a car full of people how that ML is a beater and tank for you.. I explained that the M113 V8 engine and 722.5 transmission are pretty much as solid as any other there.

Haha I love it! Mine looks just like that but blue. I need to go drive it today.
Old 01-19-24, 02:59 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

First world problem to the max.....I've been constantly driving the 12 and it's a major pain after work to switch to the alternate shoes and then slip covers on before going back home.
Old 01-19-24, 02:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Stroock639
i think the LS 400 did a great job of bridging the gap between the two, it does general comfort and ride quality better than the S-class (imo) yet feels much more competent and capable at high speeds than the town car... if we had autobahns here though you can count on me to seek out an S-class haha
Can't agree there. My S560 is the most comfortable, best riding car I've ever owned, and that includes my LS400 and my other LSs. Town Cars ride very soft, but its not as appealing a ride and they actually always made me a little sick. Seating is also worlds better than the Town Car.

The solidity and flatness of the ride is on a different level. The LS400 was very good at isolating from bumps and pavement, probably largely because of the high profile tires, but it was nowhere near as solid feeling even at 35 MPH...

Its your seating position. I can see 3/4s of my star when I'm driving.

I know what you should be doing this weekend..! If you pull the trigger on a RR in the next 45 days, you'll have 8-9 months still in your lease. So best case you get the Rover 3-4 months after your lease, worst case about 9-10 months after. This could be your window of opportunity! Otherwise, whatever you lease next I guess you could go to RR at the 12-15 month mark and throw in your order.
Too ugly here for that this weekend! I am headed to FL Sunday but I will try and go look at one when I get back. Snow is back again today, we've had more snow than we've had in years, another 8 inches or so today...

Old 01-19-24, 03:16 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
Haha I love it! Mine looks just like that but blue. I need to go drive it today.
Speaking of that engine..

Not sure if this means anything other than it's a good "winter car" (I know R129 had extreme hell testing), but I started both the LS and SL in the garage yesterday just because it's been really cold here and let them get up to temp (since I can't drive them with this snow). SL warmed right up, coolant, even the oil was up to temp before the LS430's coolant was. And the Lexus doesn't take an unreasonable time to warm up at all.

God forbid I had 24 cylinders going at once!!!! Strike me down.
Old 01-19-24, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Mercedes cars do seem to warm up really quick
Old 01-19-24, 03:41 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

One of the reasons I'm using the 12 is because it can sit in near zero for 10 hours and give me heat in less than 2 minutes. The Germans just do it better for whatever reason, it might be the electric assist pump or upper coolant passages being optimized etc etc but I just know they outperform the LSs with ease
Old 01-19-24, 04:03 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Let's play a game called "guess miles, brand, and issues"

Both of the above cars are from the same owner driven the same routes etc, very much a interesting case of 1:1 comparison....
Old 01-19-24, 04:22 PM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223

Let's play a game called "guess miles, brand, and issues"

Both of the above cars are from the same owner driven the same routes etc, very much a interesting case of 1:1 comparison....
2nd Gen Toyota Tundra or Tacoma.

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-19-24 at 04:27 PM.
Old 01-19-24, 04:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

^^^The real answer is.............Too much salt, and too little wash.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024