Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-24, 11:26 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by AJT123
Debadged W126. Had to have been a 560 because I had to gun my car to keep up with him. Minimal smoke/smells. He was booking it. Why keep up a car like that but have it look like ****?
the wheels are dirty but otherwise i think it looks pretty good, especially for a potentially 40+ year old car! and nice to hear that it's still being maintained and used as intended
Old 01-03-24, 04:29 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Originally Posted by SW17LS
No way you’re getting the highway fuel economy at 130 MPH, physically impossible lol
And I'm not, I'm well under optimal at that speed. Down 6.5 from what I could otherwise get if I'm actually going for max MPG

It's also not too hard to maintain, it's only not possible if there is a pack of idiots who are driving in the left lane and not paying attention
Old 01-03-24, 06:11 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 216 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
the wheels are dirty but otherwise i think it looks pretty good, especially for a potentially 40+ year old car! and nice to hear that it's still being maintained and used as intended
There was rust on it .

But yeah, still driving and he was booking it. Like I said, I had to gun the car to keep up with him.
Old 01-03-24, 11:12 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,718 Likes on 1,946 Posts

Doing 130MPH on a roadway with other cars on it is completely irresponsible, the delta in speeds just creates an incredibly dangerous scenario...every once and a while on a totally empty road when nobody is around is one thing, but consistently passing traffic, should lose your license IMO.

Even if those other cars are doing 80, a 50 MPH delta in speeds is incredibly dangerous. One person moves left in front of you (which happens all the time, just drove 400 miles yesterday and you know how many people moved left into my lane and caused me to have to firmly slow down? Dozens) and you've killed people just minding their own business. When they see you on the left too and they aren't anticipating that you are doing 130 MPH, because doing so is totally unreasonable and nobody would expect that you would be doing so, they can easily misjudge your speed and do something like that too.
Old 01-03-24, 11:13 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Doing 130MPH on a roadway with other cars on it is completely irresponsible, the delta in speeds just creates an incredibly dangerous scenario...every once and a while on a totally empty road when nobody is around is one thing, but consistently passing traffic, should lose your license IMO.
Agree with this
Old 01-03-24, 11:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I have driven on highways all over the east coast, including through Ohio. There are no roads I have ever been on where maintaining 130 is reasonable and safe on any level. Out west where there is just nobody else on the road maybe. Doing 80 on almost all of these roadways I am in the top 95 percentile for speed.
Old 01-03-24, 11:27 AM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 94 Likes on 66 Posts

Out here in the west, it's pretty normal to do 80-85 on the interstate where the speed limits are 75-80.

130 is not a reasonable freeway cruising speed. I've done 120 in my truck to test it, but that was out on a dead empty highway and only momentarily.

Old 01-03-24, 11:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Even on most of the Autobahn you can't cruise at 130.

I am always comfortable around 80, I'm a little faster than the majority of the cars on the road but not so much moreso that I don't have reaction time if somebody does something dumb. Some roads that stretches to 85 or perhaps 90 for breif periods. At a delta of 60 MPH faster than slower driving vehicles you just have no reaction time.
Old 01-03-24, 11:32 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Even if those other cars are doing 80, a 50 MPH delta in speeds is incredibly dangerous. One person moves left in front of you (which happens all the time, just drove 400 miles yesterday and you know how many people moved left into my lane and caused me to have to firmly slow down? Dozens) and you've killed people just minding their own business. When they see you on the left too and they aren't anticipating that you are doing 130 MPH, because doing so is totally unreasonable and nobody would expect that you would be doing so, they can easily misjudge your speed and do something like that too.
i agree too, but (genuinely) was anyone talking about doing 130 mph past the rest of traffic? i'll only ever do a pull to 130+ speeds in the E55 for the briefest of moments and on a stretch of interstate that's completely empty up ahead with no upcoming on-ramp... my 'rule' is if you have to brake hard then you went too fast

also the midwest is just flat straight roads with an effectively unlimited line of sight... assuming the car is up for the task, has healthy tires, and you're not gonna be passing anyone else i don't see a serious issue

not trying to dispute anything you're saying here just wondering what prompted the comment lol
Old 01-03-24, 11:39 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

i agree too, but (genuinely) was anyone talking about doing 130 mph past the rest of traffic?
I believe Striker was. He talked about being able to maintain 130 unless people in the right lane came into the left lane, which tells me that he's talking about driving like that with traffic:

Originally Posted by Striker223
It's also not too hard to maintain, it's only not possible if there is a pack of idiots who are driving in the left lane and not paying attention

also the midwest is just flat straight roads with an effectively unlimited line of sight... assuming the car is up for the task, has healthy tires, and you're not gonna be passing anyone else i don't see a serious issue

not trying to dispute anything you're saying here just wondering what prompted the comment lol
Theres still huge danger there, but that danger is limited to yourself if nobody else is around. What is dangerous with traffic is the delta between speeds. Going 100 is fine if everybody else is going 100, but if you're doing 100 and passing cars going 60, thats really dangerous. Tons of studies out there that prove that out. Thats the argument for raising speed limits actually, that speed limits set much lower than the natural 85%th percentile speed on a road actually make roads less safe, because it increases the delta between people who drive under or at the limit and the flow of traffic.

If you want to risk your life thats cool, but when you risk my life or my family's life thats a different story.

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-24 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-03-24, 11:52 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,190 Likes on 885 Posts

Lower delta to 20 when nearing a pack, swim though at about the same speed as them, and then resume when past them.

When some morons are stuck in the left lane you can't get past a pack and have to wait, backroads that are totally flat and you can see for 4 miles are much easier to get to high speeds on. All my serious runs are alone out there not on multi lane highways/interstates since there are too many on ramps etc

Last edited by Striker223; 01-03-24 at 11:55 AM.
Old 01-03-24, 12:36 PM
LH1
Instructor

Received 189 Likes on 99 Posts

Striker, deer is what terrifies me at those speeds. PA and Ohio have similar deer populations. I'm sure you see lots of deer carcasses in late October as I do. I hope you never hit one on one of your speed blasts. Any abandoned air strips near where you live lol? That would be way safer.

I drove my brother down to Delaware to pick up his new truck Saturday morning. 95 gets pretty wide after Wilmington. Lots of people were way over 100.

Last edited by LH1; 01-03-24 at 12:39 PM.
Old 01-03-24, 02:40 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Striker223
Lower delta to 20 when nearing a pack, swim though at about the same speed as them, and then resume when past them.

When some morons are stuck in the left lane you can't get past a pack and have to wait, backroads that are totally flat and you can see for 4 miles are much easier to get to high speeds on. All my serious runs are alone out there not on multi lane highways/interstates since there are too many on ramps etc
Backroads give you another whole level of risk...its just too high a speed to be driving on public roadways in the US.

Originally Posted by LH1
I drove my brother down to Delaware to pick up his new truck Saturday morning. 95 gets pretty wide after Wilmington. Lots of people were way over 100.
See I drive that stretch of 95 multiple times a year since my wife's family live in NJ, I have done it 4 times since the beginning of November and I hardly ever see anybody at 100 or near that. With my cruise set to 80 I'm in the 95th percentile speed, which means I'm going as fast or faster as 95% of people on the road. Hardly any reason for me to surrender the left lane at 80. It may have been unusually fast on that Saturday morning but that isn't typical for that stretch of road.
Old 01-03-24, 03:01 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Backroads give you another whole level of risk...its just too high a speed to be driving on public roadways in the US.
you're still in the northeast mentality! this is an ohio "backroad"

Hardly any reason for me to surrender the left lane at 80. It may have been unusually fast on that Saturday morning but that isn't typical for that stretch of road.
well that's not good either since you're no longer driving truly defensively... the left lane is ultimately still the passing lane and not the "fast lane"
Old 01-03-24, 03:10 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

you're still in the northeast mentality! this is an ohio "backroad"

Have you ever been on the Eastern Shore of MD? You could pick that road up and put it there and it would fit right in.

And how is that safe to drive on at 130MPH? Animals can cross into the road, there might be debris in the road, there could be a pothole...those fields to the left and right are harvested at some point...

You simply do not have the reaction time at those speeds to deal with any of the many things that could present themselves to you.

There is no reasonable argument that driving 130 MPH on a public road is reasonable or safe. Zero.

well that's not good either since you're no longer driving truly defensively... the left lane is ultimately still the passing lane and not the "fast lane"
I am passing people. If I'm not passing anybody I move to the right, but honestly anymore on most of the highways that never happens because there is never open and clear roadway and there are always other cars around, and I'm driving faster than most of them. Lane etiquette in the US is basically completely gone.

Really the only road I regularly travel anymore where I can ride for any legnth of time in the right lane is I-64. Often in fact I have to pass cars on the right because of the aforementioned lack of lane etiquette. I wouldn't have an issue with people riding in the left lane if they would surrender it to a faster driver.

Lets not lecture to me about driving safety if you think driving on a public road at 130 MPH is reasonable lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 01-03-24 at 03:14 PM.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024