Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-24, 04:13 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,188 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
The A8 isn't on MSB though. Are you counting the Flying Spur and Continental GT separately?
Yes I'm counting them separate since I don't really feel the GT and Spur driving anything near the same....the GT depending on sub model is surprisingly reactive. The Spur is deliberate, the panamera is a knife and really reminds me of the D4 A8 in a lot of ways but just smaller.....sorry about that, I mentioned the A8 due to the driving similarity when I test drove a 13 and 15 GTS/Turbo.
Old 01-22-24, 04:14 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
to you who has not and won't ever buy one anyway.

plenty of takers of 'm' and 'm sport' still.

'real' as defined by you, arbiter of all today should be as it was 20 years ago.

exactly.

and yet, one of the guys at throttle house, definitely an enthusiast, just got a golf R and absolutely loves it.

all this 'cylinder envy' is pretty silly.
Okay.....not sure what the golf has to do with anything. AMG being comparable to a golf or even in the conversation is a huge issue for AMG and just proves our points.

The golf R is a cute little car for those who can't afford an RS3 IMO, the golf is fun sure but it's not the best in its size class by a long shot.

Last edited by Striker223; 01-22-24 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-22-24, 06:16 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Received 239 Likes on 180 Posts

'real' as defined by you, arbiter of all today should be as it was 20 years ago.
ok i'm gonna come at this with some indisputable air tight logic:

'the incredibles' we can agree is a great movie? and the bad guy's plan is to make everyone "super"... because when everyone's super, no one will be...

that's what mercedes is trying to do here! if AMG hadn't spent all those decades cementing its reputation for being the best and the craziest people wouldn't be so willing to overpay just to think they're getting some of that
Old 01-22-24, 06:48 PM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Actually, Mercedes is just trying to sell cars. M and AMG started as niche, but manufacturers know if they can give a taste of that to consumers who cannot or will not go for the pinnacle, they will definitely pay for a package that includes some of the features. I was a mark when it came to IS F Sport cars. Red seats? I was in.
Old 01-22-24, 07:00 PM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by link13
Actually, Mercedes is just trying to sell cars.
lol well yes, thank you... i'm not suggesting they ACTUALLY walk out of every board meeting laughing maniacally like that thinking about all the old school fans they're upsetting (although maybe...), but the way they're attempting to increase sales and profits just seems like a short term mindset
Old 01-23-24, 04:20 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by link13
Actually, Mercedes is just trying to sell cars. M and AMG started as niche, but manufacturers know if they can give a taste of that to consumers who cannot or will not go for the pinnacle, they will definitely pay for a package that includes some of the features. I was a mark when it came to IS F Sport cars. Red seats? I was in.
All bling and no substance is the whole thing we have issue with, there should be a distinction between normal cars and the pinnacle cars otherwise you are just paying for factory ricer mods.
Old 01-23-24, 07:22 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Striker223
All bling and no substance is the whole thing we have issue with, there should be a distinction between normal cars and the pinnacle cars otherwise you are just paying for factory ricer mods.
Well let's not act like C43 drives like a C300, even in the W205 generation. They were dramatically different in character.
Old 01-23-24, 07:30 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Well let's not act like C43 drives like a C300, even in the W205 generation. They were dramatically different in character.
The C AMG used to be the 55 and 63, the 43 is nothing more than a normal engine spec car wearing the AMG badge. It's not insane or outlandishly overpowered, it's just slightly hot

Its just like the dilution of the S badge or the M badge to the point you now need an RS or "M competition" car to have a real one from those brands when before the "S" was just simply the top normal engine. Case in point before the A6 was able to pick from a 3.2, 4.2 and 3.0 super as it's normal engines and the S got a V10.....

Now it gets a freaking 3.0 as the "S" engine and you get people going around all proud they drive an S4/5/6 etc when they are totally outgunned by the older cars wearing the same badge. That dilutes the meaning of the badge and it's akin to badging a 4 cyl mustang as a V8 "because it's the same sprit"

Let's just slap a Mercedes star on some GM cars at this rate to "share the heritage" lol!

Last edited by Striker223; 01-23-24 at 07:35 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 07:41 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

yes that's a fun car with a great amount of latent potential to be unlocked with that V6TT, but don't forget even mercedes themselves didn't consider that car an AMG at first... it was called the C450, and then after making literally no changes suddenly renamed it the C43 AMG... and THAT is my issue

it's them taking an institution that for decades exclusively stood for only the best, and using it to create false hype and increase prices

a reputation for greatness isn't built by catering to as many people's needs and wants as possible... the most revered, expensive, constantly booked restaurants have the smallest menus since quality not quantity is what makes a lasting impression
Old 01-23-24, 07:47 AM
geko29
Super Moderator

Received 295 Likes on 227 Posts

Its just like the dilution of the S badge or the M badge to the point you now need an RS or "M competition" car to have a real one from those brands
Non-Competition full M cars have the same engine as the Competition model, usually in a slightly lower state of tune. The only difference between the S58 in my base M3 and the M3 Competition is 3psi,which equates to 30hp (473 vs. 503). This was done to limit torque for the clutch, and can be put back (or increased) with a simple tune. All of the hardware other than the transmission are identical between the base and RWD Competition.

Likewise for the M5, whose S68 increases from 600 to 617 hp when the Competition package is selected.
Old 01-23-24, 08:22 AM
Lwerewolf
Instructor

Received 248 Likes on 187 Posts

Pretty much.

You also mostly can't get high spec models (say, m340i) without the bling bling - at least over here.
Old 01-23-24, 08:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,370 Likes on 1,555 Posts

Originally Posted by Stroock639
ok i'm gonna come at this with some indisputable air tight logic:
'the incredibles' we can agree is a great movie? and the bad guy's plan is to make everyone "super"... because when everyone's super, no one will be...
haha, gotta admit that was a fun movie!

that's what mercedes is trying to do here! if AMG hadn't spent all those decades cementing its reputation for being the best and the craziest people wouldn't be so willing to overpay just to think they're getting some of that
amg wasn't even part of mercedes for the first 10 years!

Okay.....not sure what the golf has to do with anything.
you wrote: "It's a 4 cyl joke of a car" about the entry amg cars as if 4 cyl automatically makes it a joke. my point was a well regarded auto reviewer bought a golf r after considering loads of cars and reviewing countless others.

AMG being comparable to a golf or even in the conversation is a huge issue for AMG and just proves our points.
huge issue for you and those stuck in the past. and as more and more serious performers become electric, even less and less relevant.

The golf R is a cute little car for those who can't afford an RS3 IMO
damning with faint praise i see while assigning to an aspirational car only for poor people. nice job.

the golf is fun sure but it's not the best in its size class by a long shot.
you're all about 'class'.

Last edited by bitkahuna; 01-23-24 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-23-24, 09:33 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

amg wasn't even part of mercedes for the first 10 years!
yes that's why it's all so egregious! AMG started as a small passionate team of engineers making racing engines, and over the decades (late 60s to 90s) became known for their success on the track and for taking existing mercedes models to unheard of levels of craziness... then mercedes simply buys the company and slaps the logo on everything just to charge more

i don't see how finding this disappointing equates to being 'stuck in the past', or that whatever's the latest thing automatically makes it better which sounds like what you're saying is the case
Old 01-23-24, 09:47 AM
KennyFSU
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 205 Posts

My favorite AMG (yes, it's legit).

https://www.thedrive.com/news/the-am...hy-it-happened
Old 01-23-24, 09:56 AM
Stroock639
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KennyFSU
lmao didn't know about that!