Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-24, 09:36 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Received 64 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TangoRed
I had a 4th gen for one year that I bought used. It now lives at my friend's ranch.
What trim level and why did you sell it? And how old was it when you sold it?

Originally Posted by Striker223
Yep. A 1st Gen and a 2nd gen. Both had so many issues I ditched them for the RXs
Never had a 1st or 2nd. not at all interested. But the first gen would be awesome to experience to see what it was like.... If the 4th or 5th didn't have a full time 4WD, then I would not be interested. (among other reasons too)

Originally Posted by Striker223
Speaking of the 1GR being durable etc I'm gonna go with not really.....I've done chains on 3 now at around 150k miles.
I do wonder myself about the long term durability of the 1GR compared to my old 2UZ.. Time will tell I guess.

All of these complaints are exactly why I've always been baffled at the 4Runner's stellar sales. The reliability factor is obviously huge but I know people who buy them and don't even keep them for longer than 5 years. I suppose the resale value factor is enticing for people as well.
What would be a good solid alternative to new 2024 4Runner?

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-24 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-26-24, 09:50 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by LexsCTJill
What trim level and why did you sell it? And how old was it when you sold it?
What would be a good solid alternative to new 2024 4Runner?
2009 4Runner Limited. It was 5 years old when I sold it.

There are obvious alternatives to a 4Runner given people nowhere near the majority of people max these out offroad or tow at max capacity: Honda Passport Trailsport, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Subaru Outback, and of course the Bronco/Wrangler. All of those vehicles are very popular here too and have strong sales nationally.
Old 01-26-24, 10:15 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

2009 4Runner Limited. It was 5 years old when I sold it.
2009. V6 or V8. 2WD or 4WD?
Old 01-26-24, 10:23 AM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

2009. V6 or V8. 2WD or 4WD?
V6 4WD.

What exactly is the point of this interrogation? I've driven every generation 4Runner except the very first and had plenty of seat time in various GX470s and GX460s over the years. I even had a 5th gen rental 4Runner earlier this month. I've never felt an emotional connection to them, except for the GX470 which my aunt purchased after she was done with the ML I use as my beater. That was the only standout to me - I thought it was truly exceptional at the time.
Old 01-26-24, 10:37 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

V6 4WD.

What exactly is the point of this interrogation? .
No interrogation at all. sorry you thought that, didn't mean to make it feel that way. The V6 and V8 were somewhat different vehicles. Although the V6 at the time an all new engine, it started out with a 4 speed where the V8 always had the 5 speed,. the V8 was from the late 90s but added features such auto air suspension in the rear with height levelling. 2100lb + tow cap... Optional 3rd row seats. Full time 4WD. full size matching spare.. IMO, that V8 with full time 4WD was the gem of the 4th generation. I would have never been interested in the V6 4Runner for the 4th gen.

Honda Passport Trailsport, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Subaru Outback, and of course the Bronco/Wrangler. All of those vehicles are very popular here too and have strong sales nationally.
All fine vehicles. But not for me. I would not even consider them, Maybe the Wrangler.

except for the GX470 which my aunt purchased after she was done with the ML I use as my beater. That was the only standout to me - I thought it was truly exceptional at the time
GX470 was a nice vehicle Adaptive variable suspension.. V8 and FT4WD

They're super popular here too. Respect to Toyota, they know their customers and know how to create a strong following.
Originally Posted by AJT123
4 Runners are massively popular here, huggggge.
I think the appeal of the current 4Runner is that experience you get with the 4R is so unique..you can't get that experience from any other brand out there. Plus it has good reliability and it is Made in Japan at Tahara

Last edited by Toys4RJill; 01-26-24 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-26-24, 10:50 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Received 217 Likes on 182 Posts

Here’s why I don’t really care that I don’t have a hardtop. Yes I’d still like one but it’s fine.

We get 10 inches of snow and now it’s 70. It gets warm once a month or so during the winter. The soft top needs to be used semi frequently to last as long as possible. Today the top is down and it’s great after the snow we had.

I wouldn’t want the top down all winter with the hardtop on.

Also today, this is hilarious. Went to a local paint touch up shop for a superficial spot on the bumper. We talked about the car, lol he said he’s remember who I am when I come back “bc you don’t see these everyday.”

Then this pops up right behind me:

He had an old 380SL but just picked this 560 for his wife because she loved her old one. Lots of mutual respect there. He said he wanted my seats and room. R107s aren’t comfortable. At all.
Old 01-26-24, 10:54 AM
Toys4RJill
Lexus Fanatic

Here’s why I don’t really care that I don’t have a hardtop. Yes I’d still like one but it’s fine.

We get 10 inches of snow and now it’s 70. It gets warm once a month or so during the winter. The soft top needs to be used semi frequently to last as long as possible. Today the top is down and it’s great after the snow we had.

I wouldn’t want the top down all winter with the hardtop on.

Also today, this is hilarious. Went to a local paint touch up shop for a superficial spot on the bumper. We talked about the car, lol he said he’s remember who I am when I come back “bc you don’t see these everyday.”

Then this pops up right behind me:

He had an old 380SL but just picked this 560 for his wife because she loved her old one. Lots of mutual respect there. He said he wanted my seats and room. R107s aren’t comfortable. At all.
Nice pics You really don't need a hard top
Old 01-26-24, 11:09 AM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Nice pics You really don't need a hard top
Other than for looks, I agree.

But this isn’t Minneapolis, it gets mild all the time in the winter. I wouldn’t want hardtop for months at a time. Do I still want one? Yes. But I don’t really care.
Old 01-26-24, 11:13 AM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

Other than for looks, I agree.

But this isn’t Minneapolis, it gets mild all the time in the winter. I wouldn’t want hardtop for months at a time. Do I still want one? Yes. But I don’t really care.
Plus, a hard top is inconvenient.

Have to store it and take it on & off.

That's a big No Thanks for me. Lol

Rag top or nothing for me.
Old 01-26-24, 12:00 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Margate330
Plus, a hard top is inconvenient.

Have to store it and take it on & off.

That's a big No Thanks for me. Lol

Rag top or nothing for me.
I ALMOST wrote the car off for no top. Virtually all of them come with hardtops.

I have members here to thank. I would have looked at it anyway (it was just in Chatt 90 miles away) and bought it but y’all pushed it. So did a friend of mine.
Old 01-26-24, 12:01 PM
Carfan94
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are obvious alternatives to a 4Runner given people nowhere near the majority of people max these out offroad or tow at max capacity: Honda Passport Trailsport, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Subaru Outback, and of course the Bronco/Wrangler. All of those vehicles are very popular here too and have strong sales nationally.
None of these have the snob appeal or the legendary reliability of the 4Runner. Many Toyota fans won’t touch a Jeep with a barge pole….

Old 01-26-24, 12:06 PM
AJT123
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Carfan94
None of these have the snob appeal or the legendary reliability of the 4Runner. Many Toyota fans won’t touch a Jeep with a barge pole….
For good reason.
Old 01-26-24, 06:22 PM
Margate330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 982 Likes on 782 Posts

TGIF everyone!

Another week of working like a dog but not complaining and am happy and blessed for the work.

Anyone see something interesting(car related) please post it up for us! 🤖. 🛳️. 🚀. 🛸. 🚁

​​​​​​
Old 01-26-24, 06:33 PM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,223 Likes on 909 Posts

1GR chains
Old 01-26-24, 06:42 PM
FrankReynoldsCPA
Lexus Test Driver

Received 95 Likes on 67 Posts

For years there wasn't really any competition in the segment against the 4Runner. All of the other BOF SUV's had gone to crossover platforms(Durango, Explorer, Pathfinder, etc) or been discontinued entirely(Xterra, Montero Sport, Trail Blazer).

Only Jeep really remained and the thing about Jeep and Toyota guys is they are loyal to their brands and so not crossover to the other side.

Now the Bronco is back and selling competitively. We'll see what the future holds.

Quick Reply: General Car Conversation 2024 - part 1